CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: did i ruin him?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 2 year old that went hunting good but any time he hit a road he would run it full tilt and you coulnt catch him. i got a shock collar and put a handle on him so i could catch him. now he wont leave my feet when i try to hunt him alone. he hunts good when another dog is with him and hunted by hisself before i shocked him. now no matter how much i scold him or whip him he wont go hunting.
any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: did i ruin him?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:00 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

can be frustrating, try to not whip him, keep him having fun and you could also try laying him up for awhile

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Shock collars are not always the answer, he should work out of it but it might take time. Be very patient with him. Are you running him with the collar on by himself? If so take it off and see what he does he may have learned his lesson. If you need the E-collar use as light of correction as you need to get results, too high will give you results of what happened to you. In his mind you dont want him far from you so hes staying close, run him and be patient I cant stress that enough. I have had better results with a long check cord and treats. Work the dog in the problem situation for a month or so, that way usualy does the trick. Then I will use a E-collar to renforce our trainning if need be. An E-collar is an extended leash think of it that way, and use it last for "fininsh" trainning. Keep us posted on his progress.

Please do think I'm doggin ya or look down on you, because I'm not and I don't. I'm speeking from experience......

"PR" MARLOWE'S MARVELOUS MOLLY

To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms. Clint Eastwood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i run the collar on him with and without other dogs should i just leave it at home

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes take it off.....Also I would do what gosthunter said a beating won't help either. There are times they do, this isn't one of them. And lay him up for a few weeks. Give him time to relax and think.

Keep us posted...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In 17 years I've never seen a whipping encourage a dog to do anything. They are better for dissuading the dog from doing something you don't want it to do. Leave the collar at home and hunt the dog. I wouldn't lay him up with the negative memories running through his mind. Whether or not you've ever thought about it, doing nothing with a dog is training it also. You'd just be training him to sit in a kennel and eat. :) I think he'll come out of it. Put his tracker on and walk with him until he hits a track.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:20 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

They make the tone button for a reason it's a warning ..... I haven't shocked any of my dogs in prolly 6 or 8 months cuz they here that beep and knows what happens of they don't listen .... Try doing more praising then scolding

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

taylorswalker wrote:
They make the tone button for a reason it's a warning ..... I haven't shocked any of my dogs in prolly 6 or 8 months cuz they here that beep and knows what happens of they don't listen .... Try doing more praising then scolding

What good is the tone button going to do him now? I'd sure think it would make the dog want to leave his side less. But that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:16 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my dad said to definetly lay the dog up for awhile and pet him up good while you feed him or whatever you want, and he said to leave the shock collar off the dog when you start him back, and be patient. dogs arent stupid, so when you eventually put it back on, use the tone button at first, the dog will probably know to rethink what its doing or about to do. good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:50 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i dont think hes ruined he just dont know what you expect out of him. walk him down a creek where coons should be feeding and keep him in front of ya. before you shocked him when you turned him loose did you tell him to get in there? if you did, do the same thing while your walking him in the same tone of voice if he goes a little ways and comes back pet him and do the same thing again. if he keeps comming back to soon tell him get in there and dont pet him and keep walking him. i have a dog that was beat very bad and wouldnt hunt when i got her and i did what i just told you and couldnt ask for a better dog now. i hope this helps some and dont give up on him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ghosthunter wrote:
my dad said to definetly lay the dog up for awhile

I think your dad is wrong on this. The dog would just take it as more discipline, which is the exact opposite of what he needs. If you do lay him up, get him on a couple coons between now and then and make sure he has the fire in his belly while he's layed up. Good memories are important. I once had a dog that I bought while on vacation. A coon came into the orchard while we were there and I turned the dog loose on it and caught it. 2 years later we went to the same place with that dog. When we turned him loose he RAN straight to the tree that the coon was in and started sniffing. Dogs have a good memory. The dog had only been there once before a couple years before and remembered EXACTLY where that coon was.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:31 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

coonscry wrote:
taylorswalker wrote:

What good is the tone button going to do him now? I'd sure think it would make the dog want to leave his side less. But that's just me.

I was just saying that training collars are great tools if used properly .... Praising the dog will get u a lot further the beating the ##*%* outta him . Make it fun for him . A hound should be in the back of ur truck before u even think about tellin him to load. If u kno what I mean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Just keep hunting him. Take the shock collar off and don'y beat him when he hangs out around your feet. Just take him hunting and ignore him. I wouldn't talk to him or pet him or encourage him unless he is doing something right. If he has it in him he will start going again on his own.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WHY would you wip the dog? that aint gonna do nothing but make him scared of you and if he does leave hes just gonna hide from your devil ##*%*. Walk your lazy butt through the woods and help him find a coon. Dogs are pack animals and he obviously doesnt hate coon enough to go find one for himself, so the only alternitive is to walk him through the woods and put him on the scent and help him to learn the woods and all the smells in it...How is wipping the dog gonna make him hunt? The dog is associating you wipping him with jus standing there doing nothing witch leads to a fearfull anxious dog that is scared of everything for no reason because hes been wipped to go hunting not helped to go hunting. Hes standing there because he wants to follow you and if you turn around and wip him and get frustrated the dog isnt learning anything but to fear you! open your eyes and think! Read some books about dogs because you have no idea about dogs if your soloution to a dog not hunting is wipping him. JMO

See to many coonhounds that are scared of everything for no reason because of ignorant dog owners thinking hitting is the key. ITS NOT THE KEY IN ANYWAY. I dont care who says it works they are full of ##*%*.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

beating crap out of a dog is no way i do thinks but a slight pop on the rump will do wonders with a hound thats smart.

whipping one for not hunting doesnt work. Id walk threw woods good chance you ruined him for being a deep hunting dog but you never know.
Ghosthunter dogs are not stupid. some are and they dont live long hear. You can raise stupid dogs and you can raise a dog to be smart. People talk about dog being hard to learn and easy to learn ask the ones that where easy to teach how they were raised as pups. ive read books saying a dog learns most in its life between 6-9weeks old. So in that period teach the dog how to learn. drags bacon tell it up and steps and crap like that. it may never no most time what you mean but later on it learns easy least everyone i ever did this with was easy handleing and teaching dogs.