It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: did i ruin him?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ol'Bryan wrote:
WHY would you wip the dog? that aint gonna do nothing but make him scared of you and if he does leave hes just gonna hide from your devil ##*%*. Walk your lazy butt through the woods and help him find a coon. Dogs are pack animals and he obviously doesnt hate coon enough to go find one for himself, so the only alternitive is to walk him through the woods and put him on the scent and help him to learn the woods and all the smells in it...How is wipping the dog gonna make him hunt? The dog is associating you wipping him with jus standing there doing nothing witch leads to a fearfull anxious dog that is scared of everything for no reason because hes been wipped to go hunting not helped to go hunting. Hes standing there because he wants to follow you and if you turn around and wip him and get frustrated the dog isnt learning anything but to fear you! open your eyes and think! Read some books about dogs because you have no idea about dogs if your soloution to a dog not hunting is wipping him. JMO

See to many coonhounds that are scared of everything for no reason because of ignorant dog owners thinking hitting is the key. ITS NOT THE KEY IN ANYWAY. I dont care who says it works they are full of ##*%*.

i appreciate your opiniion sir or mam ,but you implie i go out and beat the dog sensless any time i go hunting. i do not. perhaps you are a great dog trainer, i dont know. im sure you are trying to help me solve my problem and i really do appreciate that but any time you think im just being lazy and cruel you load up with me and we will go huntin and see how much ground you cover. if i was there to walk the dog to tree, why do i need the dog? this dog is capable of treeing his own ive know for a fact. yes i will walk one if thats what it needs but i think the problem arose from hunting him with companie all the time. if i was to walk him now wouldn't that reinforce the idea that i want him at my feet all the time? how did you get your redbone to hunt again? maybe that will work for me.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Try this...drop the dog and ignore him. Give him a few minutes to move on. If he won't go anywhere load him back and go to the next spot and drop him again. Keep doing that until he gets tired of being put in the box. If he has some hunt in him he'll figure out that if he wants to go hunting he needs to get away from you. Each time he comes back load him right up. Don't give him time to linger around your feet. This has worked for us many times. It takes patience, but it works. Some dogs figure it out after 3 or 4 drops. Some take 20 drops. But there are also some dogs that just will not go hunting alone. You may just have one of those dogs that won't go hunting alone. You just have to hunt the dog a lot and see what you have. If you don't want to walk hunt this dog then don't walk hunt him. He'll either get the idea and start going or you will know you need to get another dog. Good luck.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:17 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

bluejoe iam just wondering how did hunting with other dogs made him like this?would he not come in when you hunted him in company?i hope you get him going soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Its been a few weeks since this post was started, just wanting to know how it was comming along?

"PR" MARLOWE'S MARVELOUS MOLLY

To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms. Clint Eastwood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

he goes hunting now i just calmed down aqnd used repetition and he gets the idea and goes hunting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:34 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

iam glad hes on the road to recovery. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

good job joe, good job

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if i were you i would try a few caged coons.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Honestly I don't think u ruined the dog. I think u mite have made him a little over cautious. SERIOUSLY why would he need to take the e collae off. If anything I would tell u to always hunt him with it. If he takes it off the dog hits. A road and he'll be off again. I would take him out during the day and not even associate him with coons in anyway. Jus take him out to run. He hits the road and bolts buzz him or beep him with the collar if he keeps goin then hit him on ur lowest setting. I wouldn't yell at him or anything not even say a word. That way the collar does the work and he doesn' associate the negative with you. Eventually he'll figure out that he shouldn't be running from u. But hunting for u. I wouldn't lay him up for a cpl days either the more u take ur dog hunting and the more bonding time u have with him the more apt he's going to be to please u. U can't train a dog or hunt a dog while he's in the pen