CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

before i explain my problem let me first tell you i searched the archive and none of the training tips seemed to fit my situation. Ok my male redbone that is 4 is a hunter. He always runs straight out of his pen and hops in the dog box so dont tell me hes over hunted. ok heres the problem. When he hunts he hunts hard and tracks great. When it comes to treeing he is not so great he trees for about 5 minutes tops and then will leave and go tree another and stay on the second tree and be treeing hard. I go to the first tree and there is always ONE coon in the tree. He covers alot of ground in a hurry so it is hard to grab him right as hes leaving the first tree. I hunt him with a 2 year old female and i dont want her picking up on his tricks but i might be too late because she will track right with him and tree with him and leave trees with him. I am debating wether or not to hunt her by herself to get a better feeling for what she does when hes not there its just that i dont have much time to hunt and when i do i feel bad if i only take one dog. In some cases when i do get to hunt 4 times a week the female will stay and tree what the male leaves. What do i do?

www.conkeysoutdoors.com Trust them!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would hunt the female alone. when i got to feeling bad for leaving the male at home i would take him alone.
then as soon as he started leaving trees on me, i would'nt feel so bad about leaving him home anymore..

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:36 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I almost always hunt my dogs alone but with ur male take him alone and fallow as close behind as u can when he trees get to that tree and tie him to it . My male used to do that but after being tied to every tree he trees on for a half hour at a time he no longer runs a treeing marition LOL . My dog now trees and will be trees all night if u left him there LOL. 4 years old is kinda old to be breakin old habbits but I wouldn't hunt ur female with him till u get him straitened up ...... When they come off the tree like that it makes for a long night

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Alright well i know the female can get it done on her own but not a fast. I bought the male cheap and he wasnt hunted for a year before i bought him and his first time out in a year he tracked and treed. I think the reason he started leaving the tree was because he was hunted with a few outstanding comp dogs and i think he felt like he had to leave the trees to get a head start to make the next coon his coon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:15 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I DONT KNOW THE HISTORY OF EITHER DOG ,BUT FROM READING WHAT YOU HAVE STATED THIS IS MY TAKE ON IT. I MAY BE WRONG ON IT BUT,

MOST YOUNG DOGS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN SINGLED OUT AND HUNTED ALONE ENOUGH TO LEARN THE TRACKING SENSE ON THIER OWN ,ARE GONNA BE SLOWER TILL THEY GET IT TOGETHER AND CAN MOVE A TRACK BETTER. THEY HAVE ALWAYS HAD AN OLDER FASTER DOG TO HITCH HIKE OFF OF AND SO THEY ARE AT THE BEGINNING LEVEL OF TRACK WORKING WHEN SINGLED OUT. NOW SHE HAS TO FIGURE OUT THE LOSES WITH NO HELP.SO ITS GONNA SLOW HER DOWN, BUT THE ONLY WAY SHE WILL GET FASTER IS TO BE HUNTED ALONE. IF SHE CAN EVER GET FASTER.
THE 4 YR OLD MALE WAS PROBLY SOLD CHEAP BECAUSE HE HAS ALWAYS HAD THE PROBLEM OF LEAVING TREES.
HUNTING WITH OUTSTANDING COMP DOGS WOULD ONLY MAKE HIM LEAVE TREES WITH OTHER DOGS, IF HE WAS ATE UP BY A GATOR DOG. HUNTING HIM ALONE WOULD NOT CAUSE HIM TO STILL NOT STAY TREED.
IF YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THE DOG WOULD STAY TREED BEFORE. THEN YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE HIM STAY AGAIN,BUT ITS GONNA BE ALOT OF WORK AND HE STILL MAY NOT STAY ON THEM ALL. ITS ALWAYS GONNA BE IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND HE MAY LEAVE OFF ANY TREE AT ANY GIVIN TIME.
I THINK THE YOUNGER DOG WOULD BE THE ONE I WOULD BE WORKING WITH THE MOST IF SHE CAN TREE A COON AND WILL STAY TREED.SHE SHOULD GET BETTER AT MOVING TRACKS THE MORE SHE HAS TO DO IT ALONE.
EITHER ONE SHOULD BE HUNTED ALONE . HUNTING THEM TOGETHER WILL NOT HELP EITHER ONE OF THEM. AND IF THE FEMALE IS PUT WITH THE MALE ENOUGH SHE WILL PROBLY START LEAVING THE TREES TOO. A YOUNG DOG SHOULD ONLY BE HUNTED WITH ANOTHER DOG THAT HAS NO OUTSTANDING FAULTS IT CAN LEARN. HUNTING A YOUNG DOG WITH ANOTHER DOG WILL NOT TEACH IT TO TRACK OR TO TREE, IT ONLY EXPOSES THE YOUNG DOG TO COON SO IT WANTS THEM AND THEN THE YOUNG DOG SHOULD BE HUNTED ALONE TO LEARN TRACK SENSE ON ITS OWN SO IT CAN DO IT ALONE. BUT A YOUNG DOG CAN SURE BE TAUGHT FAULTS BY ANOTHER DOG IN A HURRY.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:01 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

hey tc, would the 4 yr redbone be a true track dog then, if hes finding the coon and wanting to go and find another one leaving the tree like that?

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ghosthunter wrote:
hey tc, would the 4 yr redbone be a true track dog then, if hes finding the coon and wanting to go and find another one leaving the tree like that?

to me he would be a true headache.
it don't matter how good he can run a track if he won't stay treed.
a dog that trees,leaves and goes and does it over again and again untill you finally catch him is alot of work to fix. someone would have to stay on his butt and catch him before he leaves to ever do anything with him.
it can be done,but it takes alot of work to do it and the dog has to have some treeing instinct bred in them or even that won't do it.
its kinda like the movie - where the red fern grows - the way the kid billy runs behind his dogs when they are on a track.
taylorswalkers got one of macks pups after it had been cross threaded by training errors. he would do a nice job on all of it but the staying treed part.after i bought him back i turned him loose 17 times,i saw the dog tree 17 times and only treed 2 out of 17 close enough for me to get to him before he left. arron is half my age and skinny as a bean pole, he put the work into the dog and the dog will stay treed all night now.he could get to him when treed before he left where i could'nt. i say training errors because the dog was out of the same cross i made 4 times and he has 24 brothers and sisters that the strong point were they were all naturally stay put tree dogs.this pup had been left to tree for way too long while they went to older broke dogs split treed. plus they shocked him off trees to come back because the idiots were too lazy to go to him.
you can take a well bred dog and make them well bred culls with training errors or you can take a poorly bred dog and the best trainers won't be able to make him anything but a poorly bred cull. the best natural coondogs that make top dogs have both the well bred abilty bred in and the trainer with the knowledge to bring that natural ability out of the dog.if a dog dont have both from the get go its always alot of work to fix them once they get crossthreaded.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

gotcha, interstingly when I think of catch a dog on a tree before it leaves to work him on the tree, thats what i thought of was that little boy running behind his dogs on that movie lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i actually went with a guy one night that did that. we were standing at the edge of the cornfield. when the dogs struck he took off on a dead run whoopin and hollaring like the billy kid. he ran after them dogs all over the cornfield, they treed about 50 yrds from where i stood and watched in amazement. i laughed so hard i thought i was gonna pass out.
a couple days later he came in to work and yelled across the shop at me and said "hey,i brought you some coon for lunch". he held up a old bread bag with a coons rear leg floating in about 6 inches of pissy yellow grease.

i said no thanks, thats ok, i dont eat em. but thanks for the offer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

:oops: lmao :-P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:24 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol randy u crack me up lol .... and like he said my dog scout is an amazing coondog ....NOW but it took alot of unscrewin to get him that way ....scout is prolly most of the reason im so skinny lol