CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well im confused i have been hunting an english dog of mine and he's just goin down hill you take the dog alone he'll tree coons all night take him with other dogs he acts goofy leaves trees with coons in them gets hung up on tracks its really frustrating especially to know the caliber of hound he is and him doin this any help plz

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have the same problem with a 3yo walker. you take him alone and he looks like a grnitech. but take him with other dogs and its like he dont have a clue wat to do. he will mill around on trees that other dogs are on that has a coon in it! he wont work a track with another dog. sometimes he will just stand around u and not do anything if you are hunting him with other dogs. but if you take him alone he will tree u coons all night long and is EXTREMELY ACCURATE i have had him 4 months and have never walked to a slick tree.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:15 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

a dog alone has no pressure put on it from other dogs.
some dogs never do get it together hunting in a group of other dogs,especially dogs they dont know.
but its just like a dog that looks good in the hardwoods but falls on its face in the water. you just got to keep putting them in the water for them to get good at it too.
the only thing you can do is keep putting them with other dogs and see if they can adjust and be just as good as they are alone.
its one of the main things a dog has to do in comp hunts, and the only way one can ever adapt, if it can, is to keep putting it in with other dogs till it can perform with anything you turn it loose with.
but like i said,some just don't ever adjust to be able to do it.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi toe cutter I had a question for you? I was woundering if what kinda nose your dogs have cold medium or hot or all. Just wondering thanks travis.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would say a good nose. they can work an old bad track. but its because they have the brains to.
once they know which direction a old track goes,they will drift it.
they open more on a cold track then a hot track. a hot track they shut thier mouth and ambush it.
you won't hear a run to catch track (at least not with the 3 i got) if its that hot they shut up. they will open more on a track they are "trailing". but i think its got more to do with the brains and learned track sense.
mack always had the ability to change his style from trailing to drifting according to how the coon were moving. if they were moving,he would'nt mess with the old tracks, if the coon were not moving he would find a old track and grub it up.
the only fault i ever had with the dog was that on occasion he would find a old rough track he had no bussiness trying to move. given some time he would tree it though. the only drawback to a cold nosed dog is the ones that straddle a track and can't drift it once it knows the direction, a drifting dog will drift side to side in that direction only opening here ,there,a little deeper and then treed..
when people say a dog is cold nosed because it will tree a coon the other dogs don't open on, in my opinon it is because of it being smarter, not colder nosed.
also the fact is that the tighter mouthed dogs just don't open as much on a track ,its got nothing to do with the nose or if they can smell it or not..
some confuse tight mouthed and brains with hot nose.
when a dog can tree a coon on the white frosted ground and have the coons in its trees,its got a good nose and alot of brains.
patches was a medium nosed dog, but she says very little on a track in the woods. she would scream a track in a bean field or corn field,then shut right up when she hit the woods, then the next time you heard her she would be treed. again it was because of brains.
the thing about macks pups is that they have the brains to learn track sense. same as mack learned it.he was much more dog by the time he was 3 ,then he was at 2 and it was because of learned track sense..

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

how much u charge to breed to mack?just curious

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 5036800773

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 1000000083

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vid ... 4706800806

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

nothing, never have charged.
but now i will only breed females by artificial insemenation by my vet with macks semen collected right then.
too much work for the old dog. the vet will check macks swimmers and if he has them, he will insemenate the female.
you would have to pay that and its around $125.
or i will breed select females to Boomer.
but she must have a brucellosis test within 3 weeks of the date and show proof of her being negative.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey toe cutter I was trying to figure out what kinda blood line i wanna go with i wanna breed male in a year or two and i hear good things about your dogs kinda looking for the right
female next yr