CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took my 15 month old bluetick "Deets" out last night. He treed a coon near a corn feeder real quick. I then took him to a creek and cast him. He trailed down the creek for about 100 yards and then crossed over. He then crossed back, and then back and forth at the same spot. He looked to be stuck and after 30 min I pulled him off and took him back out of the woods. I let him go again pointing him in a different direction and he circled back and went and did the same thing on the creek bottom. How can I help him with this water problem or is it just something that will come with age and experience ? Thanks for your help.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:05 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

just keep hunting him. he is gonna have to figure it out on his own. and he will sooner or later. the more he is hunted the better he will get. its called track sense. a dog aint born with it and it aint taught,its learned from doing it and trying to do it over and over. the only thing i would do is when he gets bogged down and has had enough time to try and figure it out,if he cant,push him on to help him with THAT track. dont pull him to find a easy one.
the hard tracks are the ones a dog learns real track sense from.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:52 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Sounds like your dog is doing good for his age. On that particular track he might have been back tracking, which a lot of seasoned dogs do, or the coon might have gone up and he didn't have enough experience to locate. That is the difference between hunting pop up coons at feeder buckets and in the wide open coon woods. To me for some reason feeder buckets and coon hunting with dogs just don't go together. Just keep on hunting him and watching him, the main thing you want to watch for at this stage is to not let him get into any bad habits, such as back tracking, false barking and slick treeing. Another thing is that you did is pulled him off that track once and he went back. I would have pulled him off that track the second time and sent him on through the woods. Going back to a tree or a cold track that you have pulled him off is a bad habit and if you let him get started, then you will have to sorta get rough to break him. All a young dog like yours needs, that is just learning, is to be left alone and pay attention. (You pay attention. That the hardest part.) You have got to learn what the dog is doing, when he barks, whether he is after fast game or trailing a cold track or baying in an armadillo hole. Don't be too rough on him while he learning. Some dogs can't handle beatings and loud scoldings and kickings. Give him a little time before you start all that. Good luck. btw if I wanted to tree a quick coon, I would save my money on all the feed to put in them buckets and get me one on a leash. Every time I wanted to go coon hunting I would lead him off through the woods and let him climb a tree and come back to the house and turn the dogs loose. What the difference? lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:47 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

keep him in the woods he will figure it out its just like when u were trainin him to track coon u hunt him enought and sumthin will click

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a bluetick that did the same thing he finally came out of it. Just remember to be patient . keep hunting him as much as possible. i do believe it is the advice toe cutter gave me. They eventually figure it out it can be frustrating though.