CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

she will run a coon and tree by herself. but when i take her with other dogs she will go hunting with them but wont strike with them and when they tree she will stop for a minute or so then while were shining the tree i hear her open up the hill or around the side. i know this isnt a bad thing for her to be independent but how can i get her to track and tree with the other dogs? any info would help.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

do you keep her with other dogs???? dogs are pack animals if shes not acustom to bein around other dogs that may be ur problem ......other then that all i could tell u is start huntin her with other dogs more

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yea shes next to 3 other dogs and doesnt seem to be scared of the or anything

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i hunt all my hounds alone unless we are at hunts or i go out with my buddies so just keep huntin her shes still young alot of hounds dont find themselves till 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my dog does the same exact thing she just likes to trail she will tree with other dogs as long as she helped and when she kills the coon she will trail some more best dog u can have aslong as she will tree when shes by herself huntin u should be good

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i would waLK HER IN TO A few trees where other dogs are treeing and pet her up and let her know everything is ok,but beware taking her to a tree with a dog that jumps alot or face barks could hav the oppisite effect. as soon as she gets a little confidence start sending her with other dogs little at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:37 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i was thinking maybe umm when she trees by herself next. im gonna walk and older dog to the tree and see if shell tree with it. and if she will ill knock the coon out to both of them and maybe shell think hmm if i bark alot with another dog or by myself i get some fur in my mouth lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

does she come back into the tree after you shoot the coon out? id tie her up at the tree pat her up like was said and untill she starts a barking or showing interest when you shoot the coon out dont give it to her...i wouldnt make it a habit because young dogs need coon! but this will either help her finish out her track or stick with the other dogs if she smells the meat in the tree, a coon hungry hound is a coon treeing hound but thats just what worked for me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

no she doesnt come back when we shoot unless shes real close. usually she just goes around and strikes.when i get to the tree and shes hanging around like walking around the tree about 20 ft around the tree what should i do? ive tried tying her back and making her watch the other dogs fight the coon. didnt work. should i pat her even if shes not treeing??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well really patting a young dog is allways good i wouldnt really love on her but a few re-assuring pats on the head and n little loving just lets her know its ok my pup is really skiddish so even if he dont look like a million bucks i put him up good so he knows its ok...try taking a week and hunting her HARD everyday for a good 2 hours at least and only hunt with another dog one or two days the rest of the days give her time to run her track and maybe she'll stumble on a hot track n tree a coon then shoot it out 2 her and shell start doing it more and more thats what im having to do right now it takes longer and i dont c as many coon but hes getting a little better everytime i take him out alone and after a few days if she cant find a hot track herself live trap a coon and let it go n give it a few min to find a tree walk back n cut ur dog close to the track n see if she wont pick it up n tree it...it builds there confidence ALOT ive done this a few times to

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

alright

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

lemme know if it helps at all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well shes in heat now so itll be 3 weeks lol. maybe shell think of when shes gotton a coon and when she didnt haha.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:00 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

bein layed up for three weeks will give her sum good time to think lol by the time shes out shell wanna tree so bad she wont even care bout other dogs or at least i hope .... it would make ur job easier lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yea one time i had her put up for a month and before i put her up she was doing ok and when i took her out after she went and looked alot better and treed by herself but it was a den tree.