CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:10 pm 
IP:
i have a 2 yr old black and tan that has 3 2nd place wins and was an awsome dog, then one day we caught a coon in a trap and it had been awhile since i had took him out so i let him have it well it cut his lip open, ever scince that day he hardly gose in the woods and he will go 100 yrds or 200 yrds and just sit down, some times he wont evan do that, i dont know what is wrong with him, i dont think that coon cutting his lip could have messed him up cause he has been cut up worse than that b4, and never had a problem idk what to do with him, you guys got any suggestions, he still trees a drag and a caged coon just fine, its just like he dosen want to hunt, thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

are you doing drags and cages soon after he's already hunting????, or just to see after he isnt showing interest anymore? dont think imp either that getting cut is messing with him. Is acting ok in the kennel as usual?

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

have you shocked him lately?/ someone told me if u shock one, sometimes they will not hunt as deep, maybe temporarily, idk, depends on dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if he is not sick or nothin and would hunt alone before.
then here is just a thought to think on,
if he was hunting good before,then after you gave him caged coon he wont,could he maybe be waiting for you to show him a drag or give him a coon in a cage again.he may think he dont have to hunt for one anymore cause you will turn him on to them without the work of hunting for one..
this may work ,may not. i have tricked young dogs to go this way that were a little shy on the go hunt part.
i take them to the woods at night just like we're going hunting.,get them out of the truck. chain them to the back of the truck or to a tree. i release a coon in front of them. let them watch it run off. then i load the dog up and go to another woods and turn them loose to hunt.
a dog that will hunt ,run and tree a coon has no need for a coon in a cage or to fight one for the hell of it.doing the caged coon deal ruins enough pups that dont know nothin,why cross thread ones brain doing it to one that will already hunt, run and tree.
seen people train rabbit dogs and complain the dog wont go in a brush pile or jump its own rabbit. well after you jump enough rabbits for the dog,why should the dog jump thier own..
are ya seein what i'm saying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i rabbit hunt and i know exactlly what he just said about the jumping rabbits for them i nearlly ruined my first pack by trying to keep them walking right next to me and me kick all the brush once i jumped them i could put lead on one hound and put it on the scent, ruined for about 3 months they would not leave my side if i sat in the woods, how i did it for them is i walked in to the woods and around with them slowly they learned they had to hunt by them selfs then it got to where i could set there and they would hunt while i was still at the truck...

but lots of frustration trying to teach them how to hunt again, even more than you get with a pup cuz you know they can do it....

and i only jumped maybe 4 rabbits for them, but hounds are people pleasers you have to remmember that with hounds what you want them to do most the time they are going to do it weather your doing it for now or for the long run...

i dont know if you prasied him after he cut his lip and all, but he probly thinks well he stopped prasing me months/years ago for hunting and treeing on my own but he praises me when i caught one he realeses, he must wont me to do that every time JMO....

and for that one cage coon you might pay for many months of retraining

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:37 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This sounds like a perfect example. Of what can happen to a dog thats over worked on a cage coon..They get so they have to see a coon to show interest...Once a dog is started you should just about never work them on cage coon again...Most dogs never even need to see a live coon to get them running and treeing....I know a lot of guys that when they even buy a new broke dog.Thats already runs and trees they show them a cage coon just to fire them up..The truth is thats just about worst thing you could do to a dog like that.. A Older well broke dog it might not hurt if you only done it once.But with young dogs chances are it could ruin them if over done..The most a dog should see a live cage coon is 2-3 times to get them started..I never use a live coon unless they are over a year old and not started yet...Just about the best thing to do if a dog gets like that.Is to lay them up for a few months....Or hunt them with other dogs and dont let them get ahold of another coon.Until they are running and treeing there own coon again...Id hunt the dog alone to make sure they are doing all the work...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW