CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Losing a track, WHY?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 1 year old pup that i have been starting to hunt. i've only hunted him a few times and he has never been hunted with an experienced dog. he is doing the same thing he starts a track and for the most part he blows the woods down barking like crazy then he'll shut up and only bark a few times and run back and forth trying to find the track again. some times he'll give up and come back to me and wander around. the other night he struck and blew through a corn field really fast and the then lost it on the other side so i walked around to him and after awhile he just started to run around and was barking really deep and sound like he was just flat out pissed that he couldn't find the track. i just took him home and he barked in the same pissed off voice for a while. i know he is young and just doesn't know how to finish the track. but is there any thing i can do to help him out when he gets frustrated like that

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

let him keep trying. he will get better at it the more he is put out there and has the chance to do it..
you cant teach him to track. all you can do is give him the oppurtunity to figure it out his self. dont get discouraged and go home, go let him get after another and try it again. the more chances he has the better he will get, the better a dog can run the track the more accurate of a tree dog it will be.

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 2yr old b&t that has never been hunted, i have been wanting to take her with other dogs but i have had trouble finding someone. So would it be good or bad to take her by herself and let her figure it out or should i wait till i can run her with other dogs?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:13 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

she won't learn anything on the chain. go ahead and take her. i would rather start one by their self. use roll cage and turn loose coon to get her started.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:55 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

starting a dog with another dog or a live coon is done only for one thing.it exposes the dog to the coon in a attempt to get them to want it bad enough to try and find it. it wont teach them to track or to tree,it just gets them to want coon so it uses its bred in ability to do it.. 6 week old pups will track and tree on a hot dog after they get to wanting them.

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a young male on trial, he will a strike a track, usually with two bawls, and then line it out, and drive the track like a mad man, till he loses it, first two times, it was only a 150 yds or so, second night he Treed a possum, and worked the track more like a coon, nice and steady, a lot of mouth. Then on the way in he struck, bawled twice and straight lined out 500 yds or so, then came back. He is so fast I can't keep up. Should I be worried he is running deer? Or just happy is running a track. He makes me nervous cause he drives it so hard, everytime I think he is running deer. Even though, the one track he struck at a den, the other in a feeder stream, and the other on a creek bank. Should I dump him on deer and shock him, or just not worry about it until proven guilty.
Do you also think he has potential? I did do a drag for him, he did not follow it at all, but drifted it, until he found the tree. He seems to wind a lot.
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maximus13 wrote:
I have a young male on trial, he will a strike a track, usually with two bawls, and then line it out, and drive the track like a mad man, till he loses it, first two times, it was only a 150 yds or so, second night he Treed a possum, and worked the track more like a coon, nice and steady, a lot of mouth. Then on the way in he struck, bawled twice and straight lined out 500 yds or so, then came back. He is so fast I can't keep up. Should I be worried he is running deer? Or just happy is running a track. He makes me nervous cause he drives it so hard, everytime I think he is running deer. Even though, the one track he struck at a den, the other in a feeder stream, and the other on a creek bank. Should I dump him on deer and shock him, or just not worry about it until proven guilty.
Do you also think he has potential? I did do a drag for him, he did not follow it at all, but drifted it, until he found the tree. He seems to wind a lot.

How old is the dog? I don't know about up north, but down here the coons are rutting right now. A rutting boar coon leaves alot of scent, thats why alot of times the dogs will burn a track like they are running fast game, and about the time you get good and nervous they will slam a tree. Coons are tough to tree right now for a fair hound, and nearly impossible for an in-experienced pup. But if you feel like he is running deer, there is only one way to find out, put the collar on him and turn him out on a deer, you will get your answer in just a minute.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks ya I guess I Just need to be patient, and time will tell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I got him on deer, and then today took him across some deer, he pissed on the tracks and came in. I think he my have a thing for foxes now. Thought I'd seen one walking in the other day, but didn't go over cause I never got a good look. Well came out in the same area and he got all excited. He has ran a few coon, since my op, and worked them more like they would be expected. I think my biggest issue is finding some woods thick in coon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Heres an update:

I ended up purchasing hayes, on the last day, of my 1 week trial, he came across a hot coon, and treed it in style. That was about 3 months ago. It seems longer now thinking back, lots of fun nights in the woods and just as many frustrating nights. If I knew how much time was involved in training pups, I'm not sure I would have ever bought him, honestly. He has progressed well, quick enough to keep me eager to hunt him, but slow enough to test my patience. This entire my time, I keep coming back to something I read somewhere or someone told me. " Most guys, just don't realize how much time it takes to train a coondog."

He is now at the point, where he knows why were in the woods. He doesn't always go hunting right away, but eventually he gets to it, and usually ends up getting the job done. He had a phase where he was slick treeing, and we worked through that. He had a phase where he would hang around too much, and we have worked through that. He had a phase where he would pull and tear my arm off, and we now have that fixed. It often seems once we get one thing addressed something else pops up, that we need to work on. However I think we are at a point now where he just needs his tail hunted off. He can easily run and tree an ez coon. However a smart coon can quickly make him look pretty dumb.

Last night was a pretty a good night, he ran and treed a good quality den, within 10 minutes of my first drop. Then went on to run and tree a coon on a pretty tough track, through a pretty nasty briar patch. Its nights like the one last night that really make it all worth while. Seeing his excitement when I come out to load him up, watching him mature into a better coonhound, is a pretty cool thing. Hopefully I can stay out of his away from here on out, and spot those key moments on when to step in. I think a lot of guys often become overbearing and have to high of expectations, too early, either due to there own personal ambitions, or a lack of patience. Instead of focusing on what there dog needs, to succeed. I know I do anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sounds like you got a good hound!
I feel the same, sometimes it's just best to let the dog figure it out and only tryin help when you have to. It's frustrating but what else is there to do at 2 in the morning bout as well be coon doggin

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire