CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

How Many Times Should You Full With A Dog With A Coondrag?
1-4 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
4-6 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
more 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:50 pm 
IP:
i have a 5 month old female walker that has been hunted and ran with the other dogs and treed alittle and i have a coon tail thati fool with her with and today i made a trail with the tail that was about 100 yards and i hung it up a tree then i wemt and let my walker loose and she hit that coon trail on a run and ran it all the way to the tree and started treeing well i went to her and she was running and jumping on the tree trying to climb it sometimes she wouldget pretty far up there and fall down then she would rare up ont he tree and tree then she would try to jump again so my question is, is this a good thing or a bad thing for her to do this or a bad thing

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:41 pm 
IP:
thats fine to do...although I'd take the tail back out with you before cutting her loose. You dont want to train her to run around until she sees a coontail hanging in a limb...you want her using her nose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:47 pm 
IP:
so you think that i should drag the coon tail and drg it up a tree then pupp it away well i have did that and she wont jump and try to climp the tree when sh e dont see it she just rares up on the tree and trees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:17 pm 
IP:
A coon will rarely stand on a limb just out of reach and let your dog jump and bark at it lol. Try to train your dog in a manner that would replicate hunting. Sounds like she's treeing well on scent. I would always take the tail out of the woods with you before sending her out to trail the scent...better yet, I'd just hunt that dog..sounds like she's ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:36 pm 
IP:
thanks for your replies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Drags should be used as little as possible.Once a dog runs open or silent and trees.2-3 times at the most..The more its done will not help at all..It has the opposite affect...If a dogs running a track in the wild and treeing a drag is not needed...A drag is only to give the dog a idea. Of what to do and make it simple and easy for them to do it....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:22 pm 
IP:
well i have took her hunting and she has got in there and ran wth my old dog and when my old dog tree she was treeing also she treed ntill we got to the tree then came to me then went back to treeing again