CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How many times a week would yall recomend hunting a dog about 7 years old. We hunted last night and on the fourth turn out she seemed like she was gettin tired and didn't want to hunt anymore. When first started she tree 400 yards out, she next tree was 1/2 mile out. The next drop she ran 3 miles over mountain and there was no coon at this spot. Then we drop them out one more time and she didn't go no more then 300 yards the last time. We normally drop them out 3 or 4 times when we go. we have been letting some pups run with her so they can get use to the action. So how much do yall think I should hunt her.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You might've just answered your own question. When she starts to appear tired, hang it up. Also check on her the day after. If she's moving around her kennel a little slow or stiff, then she should get a day or two off. Let the dog tell you.

Each dog has a different limit depending on their stamina you've built in by hunting/exercising, their age, how much they've been hunted before, etc. I currently have an 8-year old female that isn't showing any signs of slowing down. But, there have been a couple of seasons since I've had her where I could only hunt 1 or 2 nights a week. She has a lot less miles on her than other dogs her age, and that could be a reason that I can hunt her all night and she's ready to go the next day.

That being said, I just lost a male last year at the age of nine. For the last three years of his life he had mild arthritis that would flair up if I hunted him too hard. He was good for two or three short drops, and then you could see him stiffen up. He still loved to go and didn't like being left behind, but I had to hold him back so he wasn't sore for a week after a long night.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:12 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i agree with dereck when it starts showin it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah i have a 13 year old hound out of sackket jr and pac man he isstill pumpin coons by himself ofcours he is really sloe but i dont care im in it to be out in the woods. also i only hunt him like at the most 2 times a week and give him his glucose tablets for his joints and he is fine act 5 or 6 after he rests and runs around. he has the biggest heart iv seen in a dog he just loves them coon though.

Post subject: older dog
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 11 yr old male b&t that is all tree i was woundering if i should stop hunting him i dont hunt him much now cause im afraid he will have a heart attack because he trees so hard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Iv seen a 5 year old get stove up making multiple drops nite after nite. Hounds can get enuff just like we can.I would think it would be harder on a shorter built dog.Its a little warm to hunt that hard!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:20 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I hunt average 4nights a week all year long. 8yr old goes hard usally first tree 2nd strike. He has had the crap hunted out of him his whole life. 8k won n pkc ukc grntch. Still wins in the hunts on regualar basis. Its all in how the dog is. Its a good buddy of mines dog he might lay up for month take old man out all night long he's still standing ready to go by daylight.

You seem like a knowlegable coonhunter just see what she shows 7yrs old is just begining of old age.