CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My Garmin DC 30 collar won't charge. It has worked flawlessly for a month or so, now it won't charge. Has anyone expirenced this issue or have any advice to correct the problem, besides sending it back.
Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:00 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

my collar just started to quit taking charge also. it is very upsetting and i need to contact garmin to see what they are going to do about this mess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.ph ... did=250035

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

poundcake.. i found out how to fix it. if you wiggle the cord around where it plugs into the collar eventually it will start charging. I had to wiggle mine around for probably five minutes and i finally found a spot it will charge..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i had the exact same problem since its been really cold out. my gear usually stays in the truck and the collars will not charge if they are cold. put your collars a bit away from your heater and let sit for five minutes or so. mine charge everytime after doing that. also like they said keep the contacts clean.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Try cleaning off your collar where the charger plugs in. If mine is dirty it wont charge. Clean it off with a wet Q-tip and works everytime. It just wont get a good enough connection to charge. Hope this helps.

Home of NtCh MainStreet Roy Jr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:35 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm not a real big fan of how the charger connects, but it is still a great unit. Like mnb&t said, the cold seems to play a part in how well they connect. I also just wiggle it around some until the light comes on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had the problem of my collar charging as well. My problem was with the charger its self though. I just used the car charger untill I bought a secondary collar.

Post subject: garmin dc 30 collar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 am 
IP:
I read on the owners manuel that when the collar needs charged it will flash blue instead of red. My collar is getting low and I don't know if I should charge the collar until it shows up as full charged on my dc20 or should I just wait until the battery goes dead or turns blue.

any info on this question will be helpful

thanks

Post subject: Re: Garmin DC 30 Collars
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Zmanes- You can charge your collar anytime.

Has anyone had problems with the dc30 blue charging indicator bulbs burning out? We have a collar that is about 4 months old and one bulb is out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:34 pm 
IP:
I have 4 collars. Last friday I went to charge my collars and 1 started right away. One I had to mess with for a full 30 minutes and one I couldn't get to charge until later. The 4th got sent to garmin yesterday. This is the only "flaw" I've noticed. I know they won't charge when cold but thats what the owners manual says. This is irritating. The collar I sent in and the collar that took all day to get to charge have been used less than 6 times apiece since I only coon hunt 2 dogs at a time. If anyone has any other ideas on getting them to charge, let me know. I'll try the q-tip. These collars were all cleaned with a small wire brush designed for electrical components.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:12 pm 
IP:
can someone let me know how you guys charge your collars because I tried to day with my car and regular charger and i'm not getting a charge. I followed the directions in the owners manuel but it's not working I think i'm call garmin tomorrow. If anybody knows what i'm doing wrong please let me know

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You might want to put a little duct tape over the contact area on the collars before you put them on your hounds. It keeps the area clear from dirt etc. if you can keep them clean, they seem to charge better.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

a wide rubberband around the collar over the charging area, also always face the charging area towards your dog. it seems to work for me. if it gets dirty just clean the copper and it will charge.

I dont like where you charge the collar and the collar material it's self.
if i put it in the case after getting wet it seems to get humid are sweat in the box, and after paying so much money for it i would hate for the gps to ruin due to the humidity in the case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my collars are only about 5 months old and are really getting aggrevating trying to get them to charge. when i put them on the dog i always turn the charging ports to the dogs chest to help protect them from debris while coonhunting. i've tried wiggling it around, making sure that the track where the charger slides in is clean. i've tried cleaning it charge ports with a little alcohol. the last time that i got it to charge or should i say the blue light to come on i sprayed the charge ports with some electrical contact cleaner and the blue light come on while it was charging. i don't want to keep doing this because i don't know if it will damage the collar or not. if anyone of y'all have had this problem and fixed it yourself please let me know how you did it because i'm running out of options except to send them back to garmin before the warranty runs out. i know the dc-40 collars are supposed to have better charging ports but my system is only 5 months old i'm not ready to spend more money yet. any info you have would help thanks.