If you had a choice
Wildlife Materials TRX-3S with Johnson callars 28%  28%  [ 23 ]
Garmin tracking system 72%  72%  [ 60 ]
Total votes : 83
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Unless you are running hounds that travel several miles away from you, go with the Garmin. We bought our first tracking system about 12 years ago and could not believe that we ever hunted without them. Now after hunting with the Garmin I wonder the same thing. If you have found a Garmin tracker with collar for $300 please let all of us know where. The cheapest I have found is at Erwin Computers.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: tracking system question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ok iv saved enuff money to buy system, but cant decide between quick track 10 or the garmin. Iv been reading up on the garmin but am not completely sold. I just dont wanna drop that kind of money and find out that its not gonna fit my needs. I hunt in NE Ohio and NW PA some very thick swamps, my dogs dont go out of the county but do go as deep as they need to. Any input will be greatly appreciated thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I love the Garmin, but if I could have only 1 it would be the Quick-Track. Longer range, doesnt loose signal, last long time if dog is lost, works under ground.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Garmin is awesome but unreliable. You can’t depend on it working when you need it either because of battery life or just because it breaks easily.

I use a Garmin but it is more of an extra that what I depend on. I always run a Marshall collar in addition (use to use quick track they are great but I just did not like sending them back to have batteries recharged.)

If you want a close to problem free system that you can depend on gets quick track or Marshall. (I use quick track receiver with Marshall Collars).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:47 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i got a garmin with a dc30 this summer and i love it. my black and tan is semi silent. so its awsome to check on him once and a while. i hunt mostly farmland, and very few swamps. in january on a warmer night i go into the swamp across the road to catch a few coming out of there den trees, so that will be the true test. i live in a field stone house. to test it when i first got it i had the collar on in my room and in the truck with no extra antennas i got two miles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have both types and it realy depends on the terrain we are hunting in the garmin isw nice with my being a nearly silent trailer but the beep beep is nice in the thicker nastier swamps and bottoms where the garmin will lose signal at just about 3/4 mile

PR' Odin's Hammer (black brindle)
PR' North Country's Frosted Blue Moon(maltese brindle)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks guys for the input went out last night with someone that had garmin and it performed well until we hit the swamp and then it was hit or miss for 10-20 min. I ordered a quick tack tody and eventualy get a garmin to run along with it.

Post subject: garmin vs radio tracking
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am planning on buying a tracking system in the near future. I have read post after post on garmin somethings good somethings bad. I have hunted with quick track systems in my younger days and always found the dogs. I live in the mountains of pa so terrain is a big factor on which system I get. What does the garmin have over the radio systems as far a tracking ability. I don't need the bells and whistles of maps and to know what my dog is doing on an electronic device I just need to be able to find them when they decide they want to do something dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

chewy97 wrote:
I am planning on buying a tracking system in the near future. I have read post after post on garmin somethings good somethings bad. I have hunted with quick track systems in my younger days and always found the dogs. I live in the mountains of pa so terrain is a big factor on which system I get. What does the garmin have over the radio systems as far a tracking ability. I don't need the bells and whistles of maps and to know what my dog is doing on an electronic device I just need to be able to find them when they decide they want to do something dumb.

I use garmin's ,, but I always use a wildlife radio collar on each of my dogs as a back up..... So whats that tell ya.
garmins are great, but for a all out lost dog I want the radio collar . garmins are prone to fail sooner or later,, radio collars just beep on,, beepin on.. I repair tracking systems.. I always have garmins to work on because they just stop working. often while a valuable dog was wearing it.. leaving the finding of the dog back to luck and a name tag.. I very seldom have a radio collar in here because it just stopped working. but like I said ,, I have a garmin, but I also back it up with a reliable radio collar. garmins are great till they fail..

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

chewy97 wrote:

I bought a Garmin last year. It was my first of any tracking collar and second training collar. I've only been running coons for going on 5 years now so when my first hound got struck on a road I wanted something that not only allowed me to find him but something that told me where he was going before he got lost. I've got the alpha with the TT10 and I love it. I don't use all the bells and whistles. Just the light, training and GPS map. If you've got a lot of dogs say running yotes or bears GPS is almost a must have these days. I look at it this way. Yeah you can hunt without it, People were running hounds long before GPS. But there is a reason we invent things. They make life easier. Not easy but easier.

Profile  WWW