CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:32 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am just starting to coon hunt with dogs and I have no one around here to help me learn or tell me what I need to buy or do with the dogs. Can anyone tell me what all I really need to start out with besides a good dog? Is all the tracking equipment and lights for the dogs and stuff necessary or can you just use a dog, flashlight, and gun?
Please, if anyone can help me thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the lights i started out useing was only like 4 dollars from walmart.but if you go out as often as most people those will prolly die in about three four nights depending on how late u stay.but if u go ahead and spend a lil money now in the long run it will save ya.most lights last about 10 or more hours straight and are alot brighter than your average light.and a lil extra will get you a nice spotlight witch is great once you find that coon in the tree.people have hunted for many years without trackers,i myself just ordered my first tracker. i hunted my dogs for almost two months without one.its all up to u,haveing a good tracker is like insurance for your hound thow it makes you feel alot better at night.good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well there are tons of things you will need or want as time goes on but to get started really all you need is the desire to go and learn. I was in the same situation as you. I started with a pup, a 4 "d" maglight and an old 22 marlin I have had for years. It helps to find someone to talk with that has done it a while even if they don't hunt anymore. The tracking stuff is nice for the safety of your dogs and saving time. A belt or box light after you get started is a must (wouldn't believe how much easier to see it is). This website has endless information if you want to sit and sort it all out and see what applies to you. LCK's dog training sticky is a real nice guide for starting pups and on specific problems and questions with an older dog if you buy one Truebluefordman, LCK, and Chet usually have good input as well as many others. This is just my opinion but the main thing is to take your time and start in slow that way if you decide you don't like it you aren't in too far and if you are sure you like it that you don't get taken in and buy a bunch of junk someone tries to pawn off. I now have two lights, a decent dog that is starting to come on, and two pups. I have learned alot just reading and talking to people on here. My next purchase will be a E-Collar and then a tracking system. My dog that is running now hunts close so a collar to train and trash break the pups will be more useful than a tracker right now. I broke my other dog off trash with a bunch of walking and smacking with a hat, it works but was time consuming. I am just telling you the my plans above to show that it is possible to get started without the higher dollar stuff but as time allows that stufff sure makes it alot nicer. The main thing to get started is the desire and drive to do it, the rest will come. This all is just my opinion[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:21 am 
IP:
Lunchbox,
like CountryBumkin I started (recently) with nobody to talk to, no clue what I was doing, but a real desire. I've found something that I really care about and am willing to put a lot of time into, accept that I will make a LOT of mistakes, and believe what I read in Walk with Wick that my early dogs probably won't turn out well. He says it just takes time and a lot of learning.
I didn't start with a good pup, I started with a Humane Society older dog (he's 5 now). I just got lucky that he has drive. It takes a TON of patience because reading posts here I feel like my dog should be progressing better, etc, but you have to remember that there are a lot of new people here but there are a lot of people here who have been hunting since they were kids and have access to other experienced hunters. I didn't look at where you live so I don't know if you have that access or not.
Money-wise I'm lucky, I have a credit card and once I graduate college in three months between my husband's income and my income I'll be able to pay it off slowly. I spent around 35 dollars for an LED headlight, 430 dollars for a good tracking system (that was my number 1 priority, losing my dog that I love would be a nightmare), a coon squaller (waste of money), different types of shot for my shotgun until I picked one (size 6), and recently a tri-tronics shocker. I only chose tri-tronics because I intend on being in this for the long-haul. It was a luxury. I don't even know what a belt light is, but a lot of people write about how good they are.
There are tons of posts on training, LCK's sticky is great. I do a lot of searches and ask a lot of questions. I've made a lot of mistakes, my dog will never be "a good coondog" as people see them here. But that's okay, I'm in it for fun, which means I make my choices as to what is FUN for me. After reading Walk with Wick, don't expect your first dog to be great, you'll do things to mess him up, we all do. But time and patience and trying to do the best you can is all that you can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A lot of that stuff is not nessessary but is some good equipment to add to the program as you go. All you need is a dog, leash, flashlight and a gun. Now it is not kill season here so you don't even need the gun. As far as tracking your dog goes. A tracking system is good piece of mind but not nessessary. You could start with a bell to help keep track of your hound and maybe add a lighted collar to that. You could get a good lighted collar for about $60. If you know someone with a tracking box, ask them if it would be ok to borrow it sometime if you lost your hound if you bought a collar they could track. You can pick up a tracking collar for a little over $100. Then get your own tracking box as time and money allows. WALK WITH WICK book is a great book that every beginer should have. It really brings things into perspective as to the task at hand ie what to expect and when. I've only been in this sport for a few years and this is what I've found. Another great resource is the local coon hunting clubs. If you have a competiion hunt near you go to that and try to learn as much as you can. Or find out when they have there local club hunts and see if they would let you spectate and try to get to know some of the local hunters in the area.

Just my 2 cents, Good Luck, Dan

Post subject: In Indiana
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You should be able to find someone to teach you the ropes. Go to the UKC upcoming events list,
http://www.ukcdogs.com/CoonhoundEvents.htm
or subscribe to Coonhound Bloodlines, to find events near you and go to one or two.
Find some old timer that seems to have a feel for his dogs, and strike up a conversation. Bring your hound to break the ice--you don't have to enter it in any events. Most coonhunters are eager to help out newcomers to the sport.

My first hound came from a shelter. I've been hunting in sneakers with a keychain LED for a light. Its not ideal, but its a starting point and will help you figure out whats a priority in your situation to you and your dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:27 pm 
IP:
sent u a pm

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:52 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thank you to all who wrote and gave their opinions. I really enjoy this site cause the people actually talk for the most part and try to help everyone else. And again thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

MT,

What do you mean a coon squaller is a waste of money? This is a good training tool (squalling coons out of a tree making a hot track for young dogs to run at night is excellent for pup training)!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:37 pm 
IP:
Hispanicpbh wrote:
MT,

What do you mean a coon squaller is a waste of money?

It was a waste of money for me personally, as far as start-up costs go. I only tried to use it a few times, without any practice beforehand and therefore no luck, so it was just some money I spent that I could have saved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The first time I started, I only had a 2 d-cell flashlight (plastic) I think it only cost a dollar plus batteries. No dog. I got invited to go with the new kid up the road, he had the dogs. his dad was into competiton hunting way back. This was 30 years ago ( man, I sound old). I went through a couple dozen trade dogs, several pair of tennis shoes (canvas) before I got a dog of my own that was any good. But man was it all fun! The new kid up the street is still a very good friend. Hunting kept us out of a lot of trouble. All the equipment is not neccessary. I would try to find some one to hunt with first. Others have given good advice on how to do that already. Hunt with any one who will let you go to start with and after you have some experience stick with the guys(or girls) that you like the best. They will be able to help you easier than this site or a book. And you may just make a lifelong friend. Even though those things are helpfull. Most important do it for the enjoyment. 8)

Post subject: starting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I did coon hunt last year and this year with a flashlight and no dogs. That is why I wanted to get some dogs. Last year we got about 100 coons just walking thru the fields. This year we only got about 20. Dont know why there was such a difference but I just thought it would be better with dogs. Thank you for the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hispanicpbh wrote:
MT,

What do you mean a coon squaller is a waste of money? This is a good training tool (squalling coons out of a tree making a hot track for young dogs to run at night is excellent for pup training)!

I would be very careful doing this. I know alot of people out there that practice this and have been guilty of it myself and all I accomplished is a couple of nice young hounds being loose at the tree. luckily I did get one back fairly solid but the other never treed solid again. In my personal oppinion this hurts more then it helps, the best way to get a hot track is to catch a coon and turn it loose without the pup seein it. JMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

just have fun

A little bit of sunshine
A little bit of booze
A little bit of me and
A little bit of you
A little bit country and
A little bit of blues
A little slice of heaven and
A little piece of you
ALCHOHAULIN' ##*%*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the way i see it is if you have a good dog you really dont need all that tracking and shocking stuff. he will tree be loud and you can find him and you dont have to worry about chasing him. you WILL need hunting lincense, a good light, a lead, and a gun during kill season. then just go have fun. add on as you go. then find you a pup to run with the older dog and START THE CIRCLE ALL OVER AGAIN. there aint much better than hearing your dog tree for the first time.

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller