CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i made some with ansie oil and sweet feed only used 1/2 tea of ansie oil and 2 pound can of the sweet feed. it smells a long ways
watch when you add the sweet feed let it cool so the feed does not come to the top keep mixing till it will hold the feed in place
i will report back on the works of the 3 different blocks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:38 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

1adam12 wrote:
:shock: we got smoke :shock: watch when you add kool aid it boils over
i think next time i will use corn if i do it in the house made the wife sick when i put the dog food and candy together

Now that's just funny there! Can you guys take some videos of ya'll trying this science experiment??? lol

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

think that i got it now :wink: i have not checked the bait yet but the small one i have on the farm has not been hit. it is next to the dog pen so if the coons get to it i do not think they will leave it. i wanted to keep one that i could watch to see how it holds up in the weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well i think my blocks are great for bring coons in but i dont think they last long enough i just made what i thought to be the best one i ever made and i screw it in the tree and in two days later it have haf way meltd off and the weather has been in 40s and a litte ran and i have only made mine the suger way and i will try to use the syrup way once i fine some and hope full that way will last the weather

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

did you use corn or dog food? corn seems to hold up better. add more sugar it makes it harder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i used just corn in that one and i have used a lot more surger but i will try even more and how long are yours lasting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have had one up for 2 weeks and it is melted about 1/2 it size i have one that i made with more sugar and boiled longer than the other blocks when i let it cool i stired till it was stiff then add the feed kept stiring till the feed stays in place i have not taken this one out to the woods yet but it is harded than the other blocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well it is all melted away 3 1/2 weeks. the blocks that i put out are all gone. i thought that i would find some on the ground but that was gone as well. i had one block that i had to break to get out of the rubber tub so i left it in the tub and checked it a week later and it was all one peice. the blocks that i boil longer are harder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 pm 
IP:
are these things good for coon? Does it just attract them in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

it should be good for them if you use dog food or feed. they can only eat what melts off or they will have to work at it for a long time.
i made some this weekend with some buckjam and it has 25% salt. 1 qt. of buckjam and 2qts of sugar 2 lbs of sweet feed and 6 drops of anise oil. i hope that this makes the block harder. them coons are going to want to get to water after they eat this batch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I've been experimenting with this project for 3 weeks (following Corbin's instructions). Budman, if it's still purple you didn't cook it nearly long enough. Adam was correct, if you add the kool aid mix while it's still cooking it will boil over. I n fact, if you add ANYTHING while it's cooking it will boil over. I started with 2 qts of sugar, one quart of water, 4 tbsp. of salt (in an 8 qt stockpot), and boiled that for an hour, took it off the heat and added the kool aid. I let that cool for 3 hours (at this stage it is snow cone syrup-it gets thicker as it cools). I then added another quart of sugar and boiled it for about 2 more hours, til it formed a HARD ball when dropped into cold water. As far as I can tell, the kool aid had completely cooked out of it, as the smell and color were gone at this point. I added the corn and mixed it all up.I had went to the dollar store and bought 6 22 oz. plastic cups for $1.50, sprayed them down with cooking spray and poured the mixture in.This mix was enough to fill 3 of the cups, and the rest I poured into a muffin pan with regular 3 inch wood screws sticking up out of them.

What I had trouble with: I stuck the lag bolts in the cups WAY too early in the cooling process, and they sunk into the mixture. To fix this, I took strips of cardboard that were longer than the cup mouth is wide and poked the lag bolts thru them and let the cardboard suspend the bolt while the mixture cooled around them. In my next batch, I also won't add the kool aid until I add the corn, as it seemed to cook away. I'm trying to find something to keep the mix from sticking to the inside of the cups- cooking spray doesn't seem to do it well enough- maybe flour? My next batch will be cooked outside- as was stated before, you will smoke your house up and the smell is far from pleasant. Finally, and most important, I need to figure out a way to suspend the corn in the mixture. All the corn floated to the top of the cup (which is the BOTTOM of the block). In a 6" block, I have 3" of hard brown candy at the top and 3" of corn "brittle" at the bottom. I have one of the big blocks and both of the small blocks out, and of course my trail cam checked out on me, but just from walking up and looking, it looks like the're all getting hit pretty good. The smaller ones made in the muffin pans are pretty much gone now, but they seemed to work the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:38 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

to get the corn mixed right i pour the corn in and mix it till it is stiff or cool then pour it in the cups. to get it not to stick i just made some that i used wax paper in the bowl. if it is not getting hard you need to get it hotter (300F). colmen your are right i never get purple when i add the koolaid to soon its always brown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thanks, Adam, I'm gonna try that. It makes sense, the stuff doesn't harden up quite as fast as I thought it would, so stirring in the corn after it thickens up should work. I'm also gonna try the wax paper thing, as well- that will help even when placing the blocks out- I'll just wait til I get it screwed into the tree to peel the wax paper off and keep my hands from getting sticky. Between the lot of us, we may get these things ironed out sooner or later! By the way-- I've found snow cone syrup for $5.99 a gallon- I wonder if it will take more than that once you boil all the water out of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i made some with the buck jam (apple flavor $7.99/gal). the buck jam is thicker than corn syrup.
i used 1 qt of buck jam, 2 qt of sugar and a 2lb coffe can of sweet feed i got 1.5 coffee cans full
the wax paper did not come off like i wanted to but i do not think it will hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:16 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

After 2 months of screwing around with these things, I've reached a conclusion-- they aren't worth the time, aggravation, money spent, or the God awful mess. I'm gonna make one more batch to use up the raw materials I have lying around, and after that it's buckets and cheap dog food from here on out for me. I do think, however, that i've found a way to make homemade Coon Potion using corn meal and carp bait.