CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well im just goin to say that i wound never go into the woods without my garmin on my dog it is the best thing ever invented in the trackin industry it has saved me alot and the battery lasts longer than 10 hours cuz me and my buddies hunt every night and i charge it once a week and people say it dont get good signal in heavy cover their lieing i have never lost servise or signal i love mine and i wouldn use any thing but it i just wish they would come out with a new collar

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:54 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

mgm, what do you think of jhoover calling you a liar?

jhoover, why are you calling people liars if they say they are not getting the range of in thick covering?

I take it you must have personally hunted with mgm to know that he is lieing on what he was disappointed in with his range in thick covering.

Or you must be personally hunting with everyone who says the same thing.

I guess by your logic, everyone who owns and drives a Chevy are liars if they say they are dependable trucks cause I have only had nothing but trouble with Chevys.

Sounds kinda stupid huh? So is you calling people liars who say they are not getting the range and losing signal in thick covering.

Not everyone is getting the same range with their systems...........it's evident by the different post on the different forums.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

you just have to laugh at morons buckshot... i'm guessing his isn't as perfect as he is putting own and he's just pouting out of frustration... if he had a tad more common sense he would read a couple of post before this one and notice i was getting 2.5 miles with the handheld and 6 with the magnetic antenna in decent woods.... but then some people would rather talk then listen to others experiences... just got to laugh buckshot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:10 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

What kills me is this is a discussion section to discuss products.....the good and bad on them.

Your always going to have that one who will post some type of BS nonsense such as calling people liars cause he doesn't agree with their opinions and then tries to discount their opinions by calling them liars.

Never ceases to amaze me.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dang man i really wasnt evin callin every one a lier so dont get so mad i ok dang im sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:22 pm 
IP:
I think some people just take the use of the word liar differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have just about talked myself into buying one of these systems, the only thing that i am a lil concerned about is the collar being waterproofed. i hunt swamps A LOT. can anyone give me some feedback on this concern.

oh yea, i heard that aluminum baseplates are on the market (after-market)

thanks,
tate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:45 am 
IP:
They are supposed to be waterproof, but I have heard of cases where the screws holding the unit together were loose, causing the unit to get wet inside, but if you check the collar over before you use it you should be ok. Be careful not to overtighten that plastic stuff though, or it'll break!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:48 am 
IP:
Tate--
My dog has some sort of obsession with water. He's been submerged for periods of time quite a bit and the collar always worked perfect. LOL, it's waterproof. :D

Post subject: tb
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

whell i have had mine for two weeks now and i will say this when it is working it is the greatest thing going, when it is geven me trouble it aint worth a crap. now 95% is me not doing things right. i have lost one dog and had to get the old beep beep out. i lost my antenna i made, i did not heat shrink it i was in a big hurry bla bla bal you know how it go's now i fix it and it works great. is there bad thing yes will it get better yes..,. when i dont know but as for now i will not sell my old beep beep but man the things the garmin can do is un real.. all i will say is play with them till you know how they work inside and out then see if ya like them or not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

does anyone know if or when a new improved astro will come out. im in need of a system, but if an improved astro is coming ill wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm 
IP:
Well, I had my first real experience with the Garmin Astro collars last week in bear camp. I have to say I am extremely impressed and hopefull some of the bugs are soon to be worked out. I have NEVER hunted in the area we hunted with the Garmins before without losing dogs with the old beep collars. It's just the way it is because of bounce. Extremely steep nasty canyons and cliffs. We dumped 11 dogs on three seperate occasions in one day and were able to gather up each dog in record time because of at least one dog in each box had a Garmin on them. I was simply stunned at how much information those little units put out. Walking to the tree was almost like listening to a play by play ball game, with Larry giving updates on the dogs. How fast they were moving the bear. How long they were bayed. When they treed and who had quit and was coming out. It was simply amazing. The bear broke bay once and headed out of hearing before we could get in on them. We just sat down and basically watched the race on the handheld! It was a BALL! We watched the updates come and watched as the dogs made a loop with the bear and came right back into our canyon and back into hearing. If we had been relying on the old collars we would have gone off on a wild goose chase and dang sure would have lost dogs for the night. Ran in thick timber without any longterm loss of signal. I am sold 100% on this technology. I pray the improvements come soon. The money we can save looking for dogs by saving gas will pay for them in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'm thinking about taking the plunge with this GPS/tracking collar.

Because of their poor products, and some bad customer service, I have been upgraded from a Magellan eXplorist 300 to a Triton 200 to a Triton 500 to a Triton 2000 with all the accessories that Magellan offers for it. Then last night on ebay I found a set of National Geographic TOPO maps for Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio for only $25. So right now, I have about $750 worth of GPSr, accessories, and maps...all for the about $125.

Since I don't have much confidence in Magellan products, I am considering selling the whole kit on ebay, then buying a Garmin Astro 220 and the after market collar that Buckshot linked to a few months ago. I figure that I might come out about even.

I have been doing some reading about the Astro, and I really like the fact that Garmin didn't try to reinvent the wheel like Magellan has recently done. Garmin took one of their best GPSr units and added a function(ok, more like a few functions). I do have a few questions though that some of you may be able to answer.

1.) What is the accuracy of the different functions, like coordinates, odometer, altitude, e-compass, etc?

2.) Has anybody used this unit for geocaching? I like to geocache with my kids and it would be great to have an all-in-one unit.

3.) What type of maps are you all running in it?

4.) Does it link easily with your computer and accept waypoints? Does the info upload well from the GPSr to the computer?

5.) What is the battery life on a unit when used for active tracking of a dog?

6.) Are accessories found easily in local stores?

7.) How is Garmin customer service? I called them today to ask a few of these questions and got a recording saying that it would be a 30 minute wait. I'm tired of spending hours at a time on the phone with some guy in India who is trying to talk me through a reboot.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:40 pm 
IP:
Mike Slomka wrote:
I'm thinking about taking the plunge with this GPS/tracking collar.

1.) What is the accuracy of the different functions, like coordinates, odometer, altitude, e-compass, etc?

2.) Has anybody used this unit for geocaching? I like to geocache with my kids and it would be great to have an all-in-one unit.

I have the astro but I use the Garmn 60CX for geocaching. IMO best GPS out there. I haven't used the astro but I feel it would be very accurate for caching.

3.) What type of maps are you all running in it?
ASTRO-Garmin 2008 Topo.
60CX-Garmin City navigator

4.) Does it link easily with your computer and accept waypoints? Does the info upload well from the GPSr to the computer?

Ask Jo Newlin

5.) What is the battery life on a unit when used for active tracking of a dog?

Collar last me several nights. GPS as well.

6.) Are accessories found easily in local stores? Cabelas, I am lucky to live near Albertsons in Indiana that sells them.

7.) How is Garmin customer service? I called them today to ask a few of these questions and got a recording saying that it would be a 30 minute wait. I'm tired of spending hours at a time on the phone with some guy in India who is trying to talk me through a reboot.

I had a battery cover replaced on my 60cx. Very responsive. Short wait time.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have 2 of the Garmin Astro hand held tracker units, six dc 20 collars and 2 Dc 30 collars. I usualy run 12 dogs over a weekend alternating in 3-4 dog packs.

My responce to the garmin is it is the best thing out and i will not go to the woods with out it, but it is not as dependable as my Quick Track System and I am running both collars now.

Here in Florida i get about 1 mile of range and I break an antenna on at least one of the dc20 collars every time i use them. I have now replaced a few with the cable antennas and they dont break but the range for me is not what it was with the antenna that came with it. I have put about 20 hours on the dc30 collars and they have held up great so far. I have found the dc30 and dc20 collars track about the same distance when working properly

My question is i have replaced my hand held tracker twice because of loss of range (down to about 600 yrds). some of the other hunters in the area use the 2 way motrola raidos and the frec. is almost the same as the frec. used on the garmin does anyone know if this could cause the permanent loss of range on the garmin or has anyone else experienced permanent loss of range.

I have a second unit that has not be subjected to the Motorola radios and it still gets around 1 mile with the same collars.

I believe this unit is damaged on the front end of the antenna system form Motorola 2 way radio use in our area. I spoke to one of the hunters and they operate on freq. 151.595 their radios are listed from 20-65 watts of output. The Garmin frec's are 151.82MHz, 151.88MHz, 151.94MHz, 154.57MHz, 154.60MHz. And when we are close they tell me you can hear the static report on their radio every 5 seconds when the DC collar reports to the hand held unit.

I have spoke to Garmin's service reps on many occasions and they assure me that this will not damage the unit. But I can not think of anything else it could be and the units tracking range has greatly reduced to the point it is not useful..

Last edited by doghunter on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next