CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ive had mine about 3 months now using it in southern WV it is AWSOME Saves me a lot of walking I still use my marshall collar for extreme long range does go out of range if he goes over a mountain but its fine over hills and hollars got a range of 2 miles out of mine from top of a mountain. Tells me exactly where he is I highly recomend the things I dont like is the collar is bulky and the part that connects to the collar has broken twice but I fixed the problem with 2 zip ties for extra support

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:44 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i might get me one when it is a less bulky and maybe the collar runs off of satilite also. and when it has more battery life.

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I really don't understand why people expect this thing to communicate between dog and hunter via satellite... Yeah, you would have unlimited range but your ol' tracker doesn't do that either. Radio waves will work just fine if you have the correct setup. First of all Garmin needs to offer a Yagi antenna (the same as your ol' tracker, just set to it's own frequency) so you can point it in the dog's direction and get more range out of it.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

TnEMT wrote:
I really don't understand why people expect this thing to communicate between dog and hunter via satellite... Yeah, you would have unlimited range but your ol' tracker doesn't do that either. Radio waves will work just fine if you have the correct setup. First of all Garmin needs to offer a Yagi antenna (the same as your ol' tracker, just set to it's own frequency) so you can point it in the dog's direction and get more range out of it.

yea but just think if it ran off satilite it would be BETTER than a regular tracking system. and aint that what thee trying to do anyways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yeah, it would be better if they were totally satellite. However, they are not and they are a major leap in the right direction better than the ol' beep beeps. There are bugs that need to be worked-out, but I am SURE that the beep-beep will be outdated in just a very few years at the most.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:38 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

that oldd beep beep is going to have to last me a few years. ive done got 500 dollars tied up in it and it does the job fine for me. i figure by the time my tracker is worn out they will have the gps range and battery life unlimited so i can join then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 am 
IP:
The more support (sales) Garmin gets regarding this the more I think they will develop it. We find it great for coyote hunting. Coyote generally travel farther and faster than coon. This pretty much lets you watch the chase. Some of the guys without dogs or trackers that we hunt with are thinking about buying just the GPS unit. i think it's also a very useful training tool as it lets you see the route the dog has taken while trailing or looking for a track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

im sure its real good but i where i hunt is deep hollars and tall hemlocks so even my quicktrack gets a little weak when we get some distance between us. one thing with that is you dont have to wonder if the signal is boncing. like i said it will probably be a real setup by the time i need a new tracker. and hopefully cheaper also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sounds like crybabies on here

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:02 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

New after market antenna now available.

http://www.americas-pet-store.com/detai ... /1913.html

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 am 
IP:
Now that antenna looks like what I'd like. I have had no problem with my snub-nosed antenna (and have ordered back-ups) so I won't be able to buy anything else for quite awhile, but that looks good.
As far as the satellite/radio deal, it was my understanding that your hand-held GPS unit works via satellite but the DC20 - Astro220 connect via radio signals, hence when your dog goes over a ridge you can't connect with him anymore. Doesn't worry me, I lose my dog from time to time but the loss never has exceeded a minute or so. One good thing is that I can see on my pretty little screen when my dog has entered a large body of water, which the by way I view water means "run kyra run!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:33 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

RonBailey wrote:
sounds like crybabies on here

looks like it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Buckshot wrote:
New after market antenna now available.

http://www.americas-pet-store.com/detai ... /1913.html

see its getting better. before too long it will be real hard to lose a hound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

gday from new zealand. this site seems to have all the garmin astro pro's on it so thought i'd ask a question and see if any of you can answer it for me :lol:
i've just got an astro and followed the instructions straight off regarding initialising the dc20 and astro etc. what happens is the astro sees the dc20, and keeps that as a reference. it will keep leading me back to where i turned the collar on rather than tracking the collar as the dog moves. when i go to the dog info page, the battery shows a question mark and comm and gps show nothing. its like the astro will only see the dc20 at about 2 inches. is it something i'm doing? the dc20 has been fully charged and the astro itself has new batteries and shows fully charged. i've sent garmin an email but don't expect they know as much about these units as some of the blokes using them :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 am 
IP:
Do you have more than one DC 20? I've got two, but have only been using one of them, that's the one that came in the orginal 220/20 package. When we're out in the field my screen shows where the original DC20 is, and also shows the new one as sitting at the truck. I haven't used both at once, so I don't know if I'd have the same problem or not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next