CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well she was young, she might of been younger than i am just guessing what age we did it. So when she grew the skin streched and under the white some of the skin doesnt have hair on it, i would have to take a picture of it to show what i am talking about. Plus the person who was holding it lifted it up to soon.

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I knew a guy that has that birth mark on his face that is pink/red in color.....there is name for it but I couldn't tell you what it's called.

His got larger as he grew to adulthood.........Birthmark like that is really no different than a tattoo.

I have an 12 week pup that is 13.5 lbs and she will get to be about 40 -50lbs when grown.

Her ears will be majorly different in size when grown than when they are now.

Freeze branding is basically a tattoo in the sense that it kills the hair follicles that leave a mark.

It would would venture to guess if I freezed brand my 12 week old pups ear that when she was full grown, the freeze brand would be larger than when I freezed brand her when she was 12 weeks old.

If her ears grow, that means the skin grows which inside the skin is hair follicles.

I have an old grade hound that appreantly was tattoed when a pup and the ear tattoo is streched and distorted.........you reckon her ear grew from when she was pup and would cause the tattoo to look distorted and stretched due to the fact of skin and ear getting larger as she grew?

I got scar on my hand that is longer today than it was when I was 8 years old.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Freeze Branding 101
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Have branded horses, cattle, and a goat (ha ha). And I agree this was a very good article. Sometimes I have trouble finding dry ice. I used to be able to get it a Wal-mart but they quit carrying it at home. Where do of you guys get yours?

Post subject: Freeze Branding ??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:17 am 
IP:
I freeze branded a few of my dogs about a couple weeks back. Long story short, I was only able to hold the iron on the ear for about 30 seconds on two of the dogs. Another one, I was able to get about 40 seconds.

The hair is falling out of the one that I held it on for 40 seconds. My question is if the hair doesn't fallout, is there still a chance that the brand will still take.

I know you should wait for a few months just to see if/where it needs to be touched up.

Anyone out there w/experience on freeze branding?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Does anyone know where you can get dry ice in central Wisconsin??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:49 pm 
IP:
I couldn't find 99% and tried 91% and it really gels up. Acetone works much better.

I didn't think I held the iron on long enough when I did mine. The dogs got pretty wild around the 30 second mark and I had to pull off. But I wasn't going to try and put it back in the exact same spot. So I just waited to see what happened. They all turned out fine.

I did not shave the ears either. Just soaked it with 91% iso right before I did it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hello, I have branded my dogs before but always on their hips. My buddy was wanting to do his on the ears. My question is how long does one hold the iron on the ear for ? We use liquid nitrogen. I have no idea on the ears, I hold for 20 seconds on the hips and it seems to work. Any help? Thanks Joe

Post subject: Freeze Branding w/ liq N
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I read the Freeze Branding 101, but I want to use liquid Nitrogen instead, since I have easy access. I know about 45 sec for black cow, 10-12 sec for a horse, but unsure of a dog. It's usually about 1/2 as long as dry ice for livestock, but wanted some additional feedback. Will be using copper/brass. Hip and ear if you know. Thanks

Post subject: Re: freeze branding
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 am 
IP:
What size brands do people usually use on their dog's hips? My dog is pretty tall and 2" seems small, 3" looks better. What's the norm?

Post subject: Re: freeze branding
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

best i have seen were done by john cole in michigan.

Post subject: FREEZE BRANDS
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Can i just make my own freeze brand, im only branding my one dog and i don't want to invest 50+ dollars in an item i will only use one time. Not to mention to 15 dollars in supplies to preform the branding. Any help?