CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: the garmin is the best
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

As I like to say, I have been there done that. Folks, I am 77 years young and still enjoying every turn out. I have just about had every new gimmick that has come out, but nothing compares to the Garmin. I enjoy mine to the fullest. I live in the country and have 12 hounds. I keep the garmin busy, not only when I hunt with my buddies, but when I'm home. Most evenings when it gets dark, I go out and put the collars on a couple and turn them out. I then go about my business. I sit in the house with my wife enjoying tv. I have my hand held beside me and am steadily checking my dogs. Sometimes it takes them a while to find a track cause it is not that many coons right around here. I turn the back light off and lay it beside my bed. Every time I wake up at night, I check it out. Most of the time they will be on a tree and I will bring the hand held to my computer and look at it on google earth. It shows me just where they are and just about what tree they are treeing. If I'm up to it, which I am most of the time, I will get in my pick up and drive around to the closet walking distance. I never take a gun. I'm from the old school and don't believe that every coon has to be shot out to the dogs. If I don't feel like it I will go back to bed and then go to them when the morning comes. I just wonder how many of you that has garmins use them like this. As I say. Best investment I ever made to enjoy dogs with...........thanks for reading...........

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:44 pm 
IP:
I wouldn't trade my Garmin for the world, but we use it quite differently. I like to hike around in the woods and enjoy the peace and quiet of the night. I like to listen to my dog and try to track his progress by comparing what my ears hear to what the screen shows me. I have a lot to learn about hunting and about my dog. I think I'd go nuts sitting at home while my dog works, for me that would take all the fun out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dont know about you boys but the first time i used my garmin i was a little disapointed it got me lost for six hours in the back country of eastern kentucky. Finaly got out when i heard some house dogs barking but i was over five miles from the truck. And had to walk every step back to it leading three 8 month old pups wile my old dog followed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:23 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

hey jadon, what was the problem? After the first time did it work alright?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have to agree the garmin is the best thing. The thing I like about it besides the obvious is it allows me to hunt in areas that I didn't before because I'm not worried about gettin lost.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I LOVE GARMIN!

The first dog I ever hunted me and my uncle turned him loose at 7:30, the dog hit the woods barking like crazy then shut up just like that. We didn't find that dog until 4:00 the next morning. I told my uncle then and there I'm getting a tracking system. I got a Garmin and have loved it ever since.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

GARMIN is only legal tracking collar out there, but many beeping collar are against FCC rule. It can interfere with air craft navigation, police, military, with all of these national security HLS are enforcing it much more strictly now. federal offense, can get receiver, collars, guns, truck confiscated and $50000 fine. check make sure your collar has FCC mark.