CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog Food Analysis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You should check out this site, http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ It provides the ingredients, guaranteed analysis, calorie contents and feeding guidelines for just about every brand of dog food available.

Diamond brand is a 3 star food (vs highest level of 6 stars). There are some issues with their ingredient and how they are processed.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

went to the website and it also says that blackgold is not a good feed either! I have been feeding diamond for a couple of years and i just switched to the lamb and rice naturals and my one dog quite her scratching and the other dog just loves it it is the first feed that he will start eating as soon as you feed him

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't need a dog food analysis website, feed guidline table on the bag of feed, and etc...... to know what works for my dogs. I see in person how the dogs do on feeds to know what works and doesn't work.

Whose putting out these dog food analysis websites? Folks trying to make money?

Click on the INFO tab of that site and list their Amazon Store book products they are selling.

If you look at the FAQ tab question of What is the best food for my dog?

There is no single best food for every dog. However good the quality of ingredients, a food that suits every single dog does not exist. This site provides its users with information on the content of dog food products and the opinion of our Editors on the species-appropriate quality of those foods. There is no guarantee that any food, however highly rated, will suit a particular dog (just as one food suiting a dog does not mean that the next food in the same category will equally suit the dog). Finding the best food for your individual does, and always will, involve some amount of experimentation.

Which goes back to my first paragraph of this post.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The original post asked for any thoughts on Diamond dog food. In my opinion, any evaluation of a food product should begin with the ingredients. Dog food companies are required by law to list their ingredients in descending order by weight before cooking. This is public knowledge. If you have a problem with dogfoodanalysis.com there are numerous other websites posting identical information. This is not a sales pitch. If you can overlook the Amazon ads you'll see what a wealth of information this is. I'm not sure how you can be against a website that helps people make educated decisions for their dogs.

Picking the "perfect" dog food should be individual to each dog and should be based more on nutrition (protein, fats, carbs, exercise level, etc..) then trial and error. Of course it is important to evaluate how a dog does on a specific brand and variety but, in my opinion, this is the last step when choosing a dog food.

As dog owners we should educate ourselves on our dog's nutritional needs and evaluate how dog food ingredients are meeting those needs. That is how you begin to pick the correct food for your dog. My B&ts are well loved pets - not testers for bad dog food companies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:58 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know svs128, did you see how they came up with those results? Was it feeding? NOPE, it was an educational guess based on the ingredients.

Even their site listed on the FAQ tab question of What is the best food for my dog?

There is no single best food for every dog. However good the quality of ingredients, a food that suits every single dog does not exist. This site provides its users with information on the content of dog food products and the opinion of our Editors on the species-appropriate quality of those foods. There is no guarantee that any food, however highly rated, will suit a particular dog (just as one food suiting a dog does not mean that the next food in the same category will equally suit the dog). Finding the best food for your individual does, and always will, involve some amount of experimentation.

Which again goes back to doing your OWN homework with your OWN dogs while ACTUALLY feeding the feed to SEE FIRST HAND how the dog holds up on the feed and hunting.

What dog food works well with my dogs may not work well with your dogs.............Just as you saw in this thread that Diamond did not work well with all dogs.

And to be honest, if I am looking for feedback on dog feed, those dog food analysis is the last place I would seek feedback -- I would look at the various hunting dog forums -- hounds, gun dogs, and etc.... and read actual feedback from actual users actually hunting their dogs wile feeding the feed.

Then, if I like the feedback I am reading, I'll try a couple of the dogs to see first hand for myself - then if I am satisfied, I'll switch the rest of the dogs over to the feed.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't think anyone has said that one specific dog food is best for all dogs. I certainly haven't.

When you say results, I assume you are referring to the guaranteed analysis and calorie contents - which are determined by proven scientific processes - not guessing.

I agree. We all need to do our own homework on our own dogs. This should include evaluating ingredients/nutritional content, each dog's needs, consumer feed back and personal experience (ie - feeding your dogs).

If you don't like websites that provide dog food analysis - don't go to those sites. The SAME information is available on the back of every bag of dog food. In my opinion, not considering this information when choosing dog food is ignorant.

I'm really not sure how you can argue that the ingredients/nutritional content are not important. Every champion athlete, human OR animal, has their diet scrutinized - sometimes down to the last gram.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:34 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

If folks want to go to dog food analysis website (and hope feed ingredients are up to date on each feed) who give educated guesses based on ingredients and not actual use, more power to them.

I am just posting that there is another way to go about it. In the pet dog world, that is probably the norm, but in the hunting dog world, we actually test the feed to see how the dogs hold up and works best.

NO offense, but I guess the difference of our opinions is from pet owner vs dog hunter.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My opinion is based on years of developing nutritional programs for performance horses. Not simply being a pet owner. Most animals can survive and thrive on poor diets but you can really see the difference in an animal being feed a high quality and individually chosen diet. I assume this would be more important to a dog hunter (or anyone with a performance dog) then a "pet" owner.

Anyways, I think this is an interesting question.... how/why did you choose your dog food? Maybe this is a good question for the general discussion forum?

No offense taken. I think this is an important topic and always welcome discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:17 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

svs128 wrote:

Anyways, I think this is an interesting question.... how/why did you choose your dog food? Maybe this is a good question for the general discussion forum?

If you look back, you'd see I answered that.

Quote:
And to be honest, if I am looking for feedback on dog feed, those dog food analysis is the last place I would seek feedback -- I would look at the various hunting dog forums -- hounds, gun dogs, and etc.... and read actual feedback from actual users actually hunting their dogs wile feeding the feed.

Then, if I like the feedback I am reading, I'll try a couple of the dogs to see first hand for myself - then if I am satisfied, I'll switch the rest of the dogs over to the feed.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I see you have deleted my responses. Feel free to ban my account too. I don't frequent "forums" that censor members during constructive conversations.

Post subject: Re: Dog Food Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

As a dog owner for many years, I have fed many different types of dog food from expensive to cheap, kibble to raw, and everything else out there. What Drew is saying as I understand him is I don't need a website to know what I need to feed my dog. I have read that website and have serious questions about its purpose. From what I gather, it is aimed at selling a product using "scientific" data. Basically 4 out of 5 doctors say this brand works best kind of approach. It takes the popular feeds out there and shows their inadequacies and then bang here is a fully nutritional feed..."fill in the blank". Go to a raw diet page, and they will destroy any kibble feed advocates, go to a BARF diet page, and they will do the same in attempts to promote their position. Go to a vegan’s page, and even they have a vegan diet that shows the inadequacies for all the meat diets.

Point is a man who hunts his dogs and watches what feed keeps the weight on, energy up, coat and skin problems like they need to be and is easy on the pocket and convenient, he will know what works for him and his dog. No website can do that for you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:03 am 
IP:
Buckshot wrote:
I don't need a dog food analysis website, feed guidline table on the bag of feed, and etc...... to know what works for my dogs. I see in person how the dogs do on feeds to know what works and doesn't work.

Whose putting out these dog food analysis websites? Folks trying to make money?

Click on the INFO tab of that site and list their Amazon Store book products they are selling.

If you look at the FAQ tab question of What is the best food for my dog?

Which goes back to my first paragraph of this post.

well said i actually take 2 black gold and sexton and make my own blend because they both lack something

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:58 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

svs128 wrote:
I see you have deleted my responses. Feel free to ban my account too. I don't frequent "forums" that censor members during constructive conversations.

YOUR FULL OF BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved both of our post from the DIAMOND thread as it was getting off topic to a whole new thread.

You damn well know that too.............None of your damn post were deleted.

To even prove it, I am posting screen shot from admin panel that shows log of all actions I do on the forum.

Searched your screen name for actions done to your account -- delete post, change email, and etc...

CLICK TO ENLARGE

If you want to discredit me in a thread debate by posting that BS nonsense, at least make sure when you LIE, it can not be proven to be a lie.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Dog Food Analysis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:21 pm 
IP:
I agree with parts of what everyone has said. I do think it's important to look at ingredients and protein/fat ratios on different brands of feed. I also think it's good to listen to what other people share about feeds that have done well for their dogs. I heard good things about Science diet--I fed it. I heard good things about Black Gold--I fed it. Ditto with Diamond. In the end, after compairing how my dogs did while looking at the ingredients in other feeds I ended up feeding a less known brand (Kirkland). My dog only hunts once a week so that puts him in an extremely different category than other dogs here.

As far as a website I figure that'd be just a tool, like me wandering around the feed aisles in my store flipping bags and looking at ingredients (assuming the ingredients are up to date on the site). Haha, my feed is ranked 3 outta 5 but I think it's dang good stuff. Guess I didn't follow the website too close... that and I got bored after about 5 minutes.