CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Off to a good start of the 2012 hunting season last night. My dogs treed a couple good coons and it was aproaching 11 pm so I needed to get home. I put my older dog on a leash after the second coon and figured the younger one would stay close by. Well she kept hunting and it took us an extra 30 min. to get out of the woods.
Just curious if others expect their dogs to mind well enough to come in when called, even if they are still tracking game. I don't use shock collars, low dollar hunter. I should have tied both dogs up right away, but I don't want them to get wise to that and take off after the coon is dead.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Mine don't if their hunting, I have a young one that minds real well, but not if she's hunting

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I can call my old walker male off of a tree or track. I only do it if I absolutely have to ie. he gets out in deep water or turns towards a highway. I can call him off a tree and turn him 10 mins later and he'll tree another and completely forget about the last one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i can only call my dog off track if i grab him and shove him in the right direction and tell him to "hunt em this way!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't even need a leash for my old walker. Tell her its time to go to the truck and away we go. Same on tree, tell her time to go and away we go,but has taken many,many night in the woods to get her that way!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I guess I have never really expected to be able to call a hound off a track or tree.

I have never owned a hound that would consistently come back to me when I called while they were trailing or treed in the woods. I have had a few that I could call off after they were senior dogs, well past their prime.

But on the same note, I have owned very few hounds that would not come when called around the yard.

That is one of the reasons that I have gotten away from hounds and now only hunt curs. I expect to be able to call my curs off of anything at anytime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I can call my females off without ever raising my voice. My male is a little stubborn yet but will get there.
I also had hounds and went to Curs. But in the hounds defense i was a kid and didn't give the same time that i do to my Curs now. I love the bawl voice of a hound and the handle of a cur

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The handling is just one of the reasons I have left the ranks of hound hunters. The biggest reason, though still related to the handling aspect, is the hunting real estate in my area. There are still a few big tracks of mature timber here and there but most of the property in my area has been turned into pine plantations with narrow wildlife strips. The short range and quick treeing of the curs suits this type of habitat better than teh hounds. There is nothing more miserable than having to walk, scratch that, crawl/fight your way through a young pine plantation with more briars than anything else, to get to your dog. With hounds I was limited to hunting the same tracks over and over.

I confess though, there is nothing like listening to the hounds bawl through the woods on a still night.

I apologize for somewhat hijacking the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

not putting any one down or anything but all it takes is a lot of time with your dogs. My dogs are my best freind when we hit the woods and know what I want them to do because we have spent lots of time together

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes, I can call both my walkers off a track out to around 800 yds. I don't understand people thinking you can't have a hound that will handle. The problem is nobody wants to mess with them unless they are hunting, it takes a little yard work to get a dog to handle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Every dog is different as well as every dog owner. I am proud that some people have lot better handle on their hounds than I ever have.

I also agree that a lot of hunters only let their dogs out of the pen to take them hunting. Hunters that do this should not expect to be able to call their dogs back in the middle of a hunt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Mine wont come in if shes running a good track but if its a really old one she will come in. she wont come off a tree even if i call, except last week she was treed and the wind was so bad i couldnt find her. i kept calling when the wind would slow down and after over an hr she came in. by then i had used my tracker and was headed her way .... but if the coons arent running i can call her back every time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

no i don't expect them to, but i'll give it a shot after awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If I had to sit here and think about it, I couldn't come up with the last time I used a lead while hunting, although I usually bring two. Can't stand dogs of any breed with no obedience training.

Although it is entertaining watching someone else with two dogs on a lead getting drug through the trees and getting wrapped around every fence, tree, and twig, while I casually walk with my dog 15 feet from me.

Ha Ha, I just had to edit my post and add this note because I remembered the last time I used a lead. It was a couple of years ago when I took this picture. She is a rotten, tree climbing bitch, and I was trying to keep her off this leaner that was stretched over a ravine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The other night might boy said" dad you bout as well be yelling your own name" I walked over and blew the horn 5 min later they came in a running I sure was glad they did or he woulda been poking jokes the rest of the night about that lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire