CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A hunt to remember
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How many have been on unusual hunts you will never forget????

In 1959 while hunting with an elderly gentleman who lived in the FlatWoods between Statenville And Fargo Ga; we had put the dogs out on the Bennett place. (one of the farms he owned) I had two dogs and they started trailing an old track to the South=East. We followed along on the road. After about a mile it was getting better, and Mr Rewis said {I'm afraid they're going to a real bad Swamp} Well, Joe was 65 and i was just 30 and he never went to the tree anyway; so i really didn't care where they went!! Close to another mile it turned into a running track and Treed. Joe was still talking about the bad location. He said up the road we could take a woods road and get closer. We drove off in the woods and got to a quarter mile or better from the dogs and he said we couldn't get any closer and they were treed in the worst place possible.

I started putting on my boots, getting light leads gun etc while Joe kept talking about how rough it was. As i was fixing to leave= he said Robert if you go in there you might not make it out==I stopped and thought, Joe's trying to tell me something==Then it hit my ole dumb head broad sided!!!! Liquor Still !!!! Well I had a problem, because my female was not noted to leave a tree, but i started calling and after a few minute both dogs stopped. Very soon a dog yelped about a hundred yards from us and they came out and loaded up.

It was apparent that the dogs treed at the Still, and Joe knew who it was,but hated to tell me direct. when i started calling they caught the dogs and led them out, roughed them up so they would come on to me.

I hunted those woods with Mr Rewis for about 10 years and that is the only hunt I remember in detail

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: A hunt to remember
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:34 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

that was a great story.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:46 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Neat story

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Very nice story thanks for sharing

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm 63 years old and started coon hunting went I was big enough to follow my grand-pa and dad carrying the gunny sack. We were poor hillbillies from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Arkansas and at the time to involved in our own little world to know it. My memories are filled with nights of hound music floating over frosty air and the thrill of at last being old enough to be a part of it.
The night the log crossing a narrow spot of a creek broke, depositing my grand-pa in the freezing water comes to mind. He came up sputtering but his first words were " Hold em' Reble...Talk to em' Belle...I'm a-coming!" His dogs were treed and he was going to them. I was a scared kid holding the coal-oil light one moment, then laughing as hard as he was cussing the next. He was wet and cold but unharmed. I come from strong and sturdy country roots and thank God for it.
As I sit here pecking at this keyboard, mind faster than my index fingers, I can look back over the years and relive so many good times. Pause and give reference to sad times when we buried a hound that left a void in our family. Is hard to rank my memories of past hunts or settle on favorite. Guess I'll share the one my grand-kids never get tired of hearing and tell it as grand-pa would have. I was there the night it happened and heard him tell it over and over.
"As God as my witness"...Had a hound once that dang near followed a coon half-way to heaven. She was an ugly little thang. Got her off old man Wilson. His gyp went a courting and wound up with pups. Wilson had no idea which of his hounds was the pappy. But any how I was looking fer a young dog and he knew it. Well he up and give me this gyp.
Really didn't want her, because she was the ugliest runt of a hound I ever laid eyes on. but I didn't want to hurt the old man's feelings so I took her.
Well Sir, she came along right nicely and I didn't hold being ugly again her. I called her Julie cuz she reminded me of an ugly little gal I once knew. Making a long story short I decided was time to put her in the woods by herself and see ifin she was gonna' be any good, or was she a following along kind. Me and the grand-son tied all the other hounds and rode old Jim up towards the crick. (Jim was a white mule) Was cold that night but wind was still and full moon lighten' the way. Good night to see ifin she was a gonna' be a keeper or one I'd have to get shed of. Must of been an hour later we heard her give voice way over in another holler. We whoa-up old Jim and sit there a-listening. She bawled out a few times trying to figured out which-a-ways he went and we sat listening to see which a-ways they might be a-going. Was right hard to decide what to do cause was a cold track and one minute she was a-coming and the next a-going. We sat there til got too cold and decided to give Jim's back a rest. Was mainly to stomp our feet and get some warm blood a-flowing. Well Sir, that ugly hound was a-having a hard time getting him lined out, but she never gave up. I was about to when she sang out "Got Him" and the race was on. Don't know how such an ugly hound could have such a beautiful voice but she was a singing pure mountain music and that grand-son was a-whooping and a-hollering at her so I join in and then tied old Jim. She was gonna' have that one up a tree fairly close and we's walk in. She was a following him up that holler so we took a sideways walk to head em' off. We was a-closing on em' when the strangest thing happened. That hound had a high pitched kinda' voice on her but suddenly she went silent and another hound took up the track. Now mind you we were close but this hound sounded fer off and had a bass echo to him. Me I've heard alot of hounds but I taint never heard a voice like this one. Well Sir, no longer it started it stopped and Julie picked up the beat. She sounded the same as before fer a second then all of a sudden she sounded different. Same high pitched but she was a-baying. Heard her tree before but weren't the same. She bayed a few breaths, then tree bawl. Bay, then tree. Me and the grandson stop and listen, both of us trying to figure out what in the world is a-going on. "She been running a coon?' He ask, I didn't have no answer. "Best way found out is go to her" I says, and we head out. Closer we got seemed farther she got, but she weren't moving. Dangest thing. Now them hollers will fool you. Makes sound travel all different kinda' ways but we were too close fer that to be happening. Now, as God as my witness when we get to where she's at, she aint'. She's there, at least her voice is but she aint'. Well Sir I'm purely in a fix. That is until I back-up a-ways and happen to look up. That full moon gave away the answer. Was an old holler tree that had fallen and wedged against another smaller tree. Standing atop that holler log was Julie. That ugly hound musta' been twenty feet in the air. Past her were clear sky and stars just a-shining. Coon was in the top of the small tree just out of her reach. Close enough to bay at, but not get. Right then and there I decided old man Wilson done did me a favor. I never seen a hound chase a coon half-way to Heaven. Had em' start up a leaning tree, but never go this far and stand so perfectly still. Like she knew one miss-step and she was a-coming down faster she went up. All came to me standing there looking up. Weren't no other hound. Was Julie's voice we heard echoing outa' that there holler tree as she followed that coon up. I motion to the grandson and whisper my fears as I pointed up-wards. We gotta' get her down, quiet and gentle like. Afraid if she looks down at us or get's excited she's gonna' realize she's where she shouldn't be. This hunt could end with Julie making it all the way to Coon Dog Heaven. We are looking at each other trying to figure out what to do went all of a sudden Julie goes silent. We look back up and see her politely looking down at us. Cocks her head and whines. Looks back up at the coon and gives out a long sad bawl. To this day I don't know how that hound did it, but she wiggled and next thing we saw was her coming outa' that holler tree tail first. Runs around to that small tree. Stood up on it and trees like a regular coon hound. All I can say is "I'll be dang." and the grandson jumping up and down, grinning from ear to ear. I tried to forget I'd told him once he could have that ugly hound if she worked out. Weren't no backing out because he was reminding me of it as I loaded the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Good story Larry

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth