CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Up Then Down Then Up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well, me and dad were able to take the girls out and they were just milling around for an hour. Then, they moved into some neighboring woods, which kind of had me on edge, but there was not much i could do about that. So, dad and i moved over into these woods. Before 10 minutes had gone by dad and i heard them light up at the bottom of the hill.... about 100 yards from our neighbors porch. To say the least, the house lit up but somehow they never came out and shot our dogs. But, we went down the hill and on the way we heard the dogs start really making a ruckus like they were starting to run again. well, they never went anywhere, but we did see that 2 were on the tall maple and one was on a tree that was about 2.5 inches in diam. and had had the top broken out long ago. So, we went ahead and petted the girls down and started to take them home. Now, do you guys think that maybe there was a coon in the tree next to the maple and it fell out but managed to get its butt back up the maple..... the main problem is that we heard the fight but it was upwards of another 30 seconds before i was able to get close enought to shine up the maple, so the coon had ample time to shoot up the maple. And the worst part is that we had to get going to keep out of trouble, so no really good shining(especially since th tree had A LOT of forks in it). thanks for any help guys.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Up Then Down Then Up
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:40 am 
IP:
gary1095,

Howdy, it is important when hunting with hounds to try and keep them from being a nuisance to neighbors. But that reminds me of one of the hunts where I learned that! We were out hunting this area way out in the country when I heard Cotton Joe and Sue May baying wildly. When I arrived at the scene I saw {or I should say I smelled} that they were baying a skunk under this trailer house.
Me and Maryann were grabbing dogs and dragging them out from under these peoples trailer at 2:00 am, leashing them up as fast as we could and I could hear a woman's voice say trembling, "don't go out there, they have guns... and dogs!..."
Anyway, no problem, we got the dogs and left as fast as we could but we left the skunk scent behind.
Sorry...

Jack the Knife