CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Chop Mouth that was funny! By the way i posted a page or two back about a critter i seen in the woods. i got an update but only goin post it if someone wants to hear cause some said i was drinkin sum made fun o me.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

my dog trailed down a ditch into a big swamp one night and treed. i had hunted every where around the section before but had never set foot in the swamp till this night.
just as i got to the swamp i saw a older man leading a dog towards me with a dim handheld flashlight. i spoke to him and said hi ,did ya tree any coon. he said yea, one big ole boar out in that swamp. i said are you hunting alone. he said yea i always do. i told him if he would wait for me to get my dog off the tree i would turn loose with him a couple times.
as i walked passed him to go get my dog i noticed as my light shined his black and tan that only one of the dogs eyes reflected the light.
when i got in the swamp i realized this was no kiddy pool. it was rough, at some point i stepped off into a hole i did not see because of the water. it was like the hole had no bottom. i seriously thought it was the last of me. a strange calm came over me as I was accepting my fate, about that time a strong hand grabbed the hood on my coat and jerked me straight up and out of the water and stood me straight up on my feet.. it was the old man. he said son, watch your step in this swamp. it's not a kind place. i adjusted myself, i thanked him and told him i thought for sure i was gonna drown. i went on to my dog with a stick to poke the ground before i stepped. i got my dog and finally made it back to the edge of the swamp. the old man was no where to be found. a few days later i stopped at the house closest to the swamp and ask if i could hunt it. the man there said yea you can hunt it, but its rough going in there. i ask if anyone else hunted there. he said no, my grand dad did ,but he drowned in the deep water about 20 years ago back in that swamp. he said I have never been coon hunting myself but my grand dad, he loved to coon hunt. my grandma use to tell us about grandpa coon hunting with skinner, an old black dog that was blind in one eye. all the way up till she passed a couple years ago she claimed she could hear ole skinner treed back there on certain nights. and on those nights she said his old hand held flashlight she kept by her bed would flicker on and off.............Randal Raper..aka Toe Cutter.

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

One night when I was about about 12 my oldest uncle took my brother and me fishing. We went down an old dirt rd way out in the middle of nowhere and came to a gate and parked there. It was about a ¼ mile to the river. We got half way down the trail, and something started this god awful scream! I was holding the lantern, I drop it and cracked the glass in the process. I was running circles around my uncle hiding, and trying to get away. My brother took off for the truck. Fishing poles and tackle was everywhere! An my uncle was on his knees just laughing his guts out! It was a freaking Screech Owl! It was about 10 ft up a oak tree on a limb, right over our heads! I swore we were about to be eaten or torn to shredds by some kind of monster! That was the first time I ever heard a Screech Owl.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A few years back I had screwed up the cartilage in my ankle and every now and then while I was in the woods it would hurt so bad I'd have to set down and get off it. Well my hound strikes track and is starting to run. Then I hear a yote yip off to the right, a second off straight ahead, and a third off to the left. They were quite a ways out (100s of yards) so I was not worried about it. My dog settles in on a tree and I hear the yotes again only now they are close. I'm getting worried for the dog, as I have heard of a pack taking a dog down, and I can't get to him. I called for that dog (with enough fear in my voice I guess) that he left the tree to come to me and we got out of the woods.

Now my scariest moment...

Their was a storm forecasted to come in but it was calm and I decided to take the dog out. We are on the second drop and the wind starts to really pick up and I'm thinking we better get out. Just as I start calling for the dog, he strikes track and tree's rather quickly. I am standing in a creek shining a hemlock that he is treeing. Then I hear a loud crack and the timber starting to crack. Well the first instinct is too run! Problem is I don't know where the tree is at or where it is going. I have the light up in the direction I heard the crack and OH CRAP it is headed straight for me. I run perpendicular to the way it is falling but can not get out of the canopy and take a fair sized branch to the top of the head. It knocks me down into the creek, my boots are filled with water, I'm soaked head to toe, and then I feel the burning in my eye. I get my self situated, get the head light back on, and out of the water only to see with my good eye that I'm dripping blood on the snow. Now I know from passed experiences that when I get head trauma I have passed out. So Hear I am soaked it's cold and no cell service with snow on the ground. I know that I have to get to the truck, my life may depend on it, with or without the dog. Luckily it was the same great dog as in the previous story that as I was walking away and calling for him, he came to my side.

This is what I looked like when I got home..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Wow, could c how that could strike some fear in a man

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

keep the stories coming these are great!

i dont have much to add but heres mine, other than the normal coyotes coming into the dogs, and random people in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night which is always a little creepy,

i made a drop in some really thick brushy private woods one night, i knew there was every kind of animal in these woods from coon to bear and everything in between so i just wanted to be quick in and out. it was a young dog and just one so i made the drop and was moving quick trying to keep up with her as shes trailing and only had a half dead dim hand flashlight with so i left it off for the time, all of a sudden i trip and fall into i didnt know what and theres alot of leaves and sticks breaking arund in the brush, then i hear the coyotes howling way off but getting closer while the pup is out there somewhere alone. find my light and start looking for what made all the noise and what i fell on and i figured out i tripped in a pile of half rotten food right under somebodys bear hunting stand. kinda makes me wonder what ran off when i got there. but saying it was a bear makes for a better story :D
and to end it all she finally treed and i got there to her before coyotes did, shot the coon out and got out of those woods a whole lot faster than i got in there.
very fun but spooky.

keep the good stories coming!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:05 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hey, at least the dog done her part and u seen the meat. Always makes a rough night worth it 2 me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:30 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

trail cam pic from the swamp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:27 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Could you imagine if that was true. You go to view your pics on trail camera, sit down put your memory card in the computer start clicking the mouse and see that, I would sh#@ bricks,fall out of the chair and bring the computer table and all crashing down...it'd be one smelly messy heart attack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Cool hand Luke wrote:
Hey, at least the dog done her part and u seen the meat. Always makes a rough night worth it 2 me

oh i didnt mean it like i was complaining. If it wasnt for those kinds of nights it wouldnt be any fun. the spooky stuff is always fun and keeps me wondering about whatll happen next time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
trail cam pic from the swamp
. Not meaning to insult just curious is that real ?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If it is that's pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9