CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: saddest ##*%* i ever saw
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well i thought well see how this hound does with this caged coon. Wegot there after anticipating and waiting all day for nightfall as i wanted him to tree it at night, im opening the door on the cage the hound and the coon are goin bonkers. The coon is shovin itself all the way to the back of the cage and sittin right on the trap pan so the door wont stay open. Finally after goin half deaf tryin to hold the door open with the hound barkin straight in my face i pick the cage up and start shakin the ##*%* out of it. That coon wanted out all day and now he aint for no reason comin out. So anyway im standin in a field at night by myself still shakin this cage for about 10 min sweatin and huffin and puffin tryin to juggle a flash light a gun just in case something goes south and a cage coon. About the time i start thinkin he aint never ever ever comin out, he shoots out like a fuzzy cannonball and the fight is on right at my feet. I fall over drop the light and everything else. I shot up straight in the air and hightailedthe heck out of there. I was headed east with the dog right behind me and who knows which way the critter went. I guess since i was actin chicken the dog thought he could too. Maybe well just stick to treein em i guess. Soooo i finally told that embarassing story. Would anyone else like to share theirs. Here he is actin tuff.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

benn there done that!!! :oops: next time tie the hound up,stand the cage on end and use a hog noose to pull coon out. works alot better than shaking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you roll the cage over on its top, gravity will hold the door open instead of making it fall shut. Walk to the open end of the cage to get the coon to look that direction and see its open, then back away and turn your light off. He will run out on his own usually witin a minute or two. Never had a coon stay in the cage more than 5 minutes if you back away and take the dog away too. Have to get him facing the right way though. You should definitely tie the dog back though or don't let him out the box yet!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Like you say just stick with treeing them. Do it naturally.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Nice lookin hound there B&T!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Reminds me of a night I had a couple years ago. I was in an area that I didn't know too well but I felt pretty good about it because there were some good logging roads I could follow in and out. My female got treed pretty deep and I went in to her. She was only about 30 yards of the logging road. I went in and saw the coon up about 40 feet in a big oak. I tied her to the first little tree I could find and stepped back to shoot the coon. When I shot him he started making a beeline down the tree. I guess if I was stuck in a tree with someone shooting at me I would want out too. He was coming down fast and I didn't want him to get to the ground with my dog tied up. I wanted a fair fight so I ran in to get my dog untied. When I got in there I looked up and the coon was only about 15 feet up and coming fast so I held the gun up with one hand and shot him again. When I shot the coon decided he had enough and did his best immitation of a pro wrestler coming off the top ropes straight for my head. I tried to get out of the way (OK, I ran like a little girl) and when I did I tripped and hit the ground. The gun went off again firing a shot straight down through the woods. I did manage to get out of the way and the coon died pretty quick after hitting the ground. The worst part was that in the chaos I guess I lost my bearing and I never could find the logging road that was 30 yards from the tree. I ended up lost and had to call someone who was familiar with the area to come find me. I know I was no more than 1/2 a mile off the blacktop road but it took me another 2 hours to find my way out. I'll never forget that one, which I can't say about all the ones that "went according to plan."

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Good story Preacher. We all know what its like to be lost, but one of the most frustrating things is to be lost knowing you're only 30 yds from the way out. Been there before myself in a swamp that I was close enough to see the headlights in the tops of the trees from the truck, just couldn't figure out which way they were coming from. On top of that, its thick as all get out and full of briars and I'm trying to lead out a 10 month old hound I'm aggrevated with because this is the one night she decided she didn't want to come to me when I called! Its all part of the joy of coon hunting though! Especially when your 2 partners are sitting in the truck with windows up and the heat on so they can't hear you calling to find your way out! Ha! Its funny now, but I was some more ticked off when I finally made it out soaking wet and covered with mud and briar cuts! Good times and good hunting boys!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

THOSE ARE SOME FUNNY STORIES GUYS.Thanks for sharin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I can tell you of the funniest thing my brother saw. We was huntin the river bottoms, each of us trying to break a pup. Our trusty pup breaker hit a hot one, and she had both pups bawlin right along with her.

When they got treed, both pups was both up on the wood, hammerin every breath. It was decided that I would hold the pup breaker back while my brother knocked the coon out to the pups.

Well, when he knocked coon out, it landed right on my head (thank god i was wearing a hard hat that night), and kinda knocked me out a bit. Well, it must have, because i woke up tangled in a dog lead and three dogs fightin a ticked off boar coon right between my legs.

I was trying to get outta there, but was some kind of tangled up. My brother said he tried to help but couldn't keep from laughing. He said he thought I was trying to do a Jerry Clower impersonation from all my hollerin. :oops:

I didn't wind up with a scratch on me, but the tree was right near the river, and it was still very early fall and all those stingin weeds (I don't know what else to call them) left their impression on me the rest of the hunt.

BTW, we did get both of those pups broke out that season. Makes it all worth while.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:02 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

B&T Bo, your story made me laugh out loud...and brought back snafu training attempts, too!
Liked your stories too, preacher, lex, and frank!

Oregon http://www.bayingbriars.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

yeah, i guess it is pretty funny now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ohh don't worry my dad and I caught two coons in his wooden cage. Well he couldn't tell there was two soo we dumped out on the ground holding my walker hound....The two stupid things ran up under neath our truck! She killed one! Don't know where the other is??? Guess it's just part of Coon hunting(:

Crunch Creek Doctor's Lizzy
Crunch Creek Zeb's Diesel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

heres a funny one, tree a coon that we cant get a shot at from the ground, so my buddy decides to climb the tree, gets about 15 feet up and the coon climbs higher and he's yelling shoot it! so i shoulder my gun and fire, and right when i pull the trigger i heard him yel DONT SHOOT IT! he was laying on his back on a branch and the coon was straight above him. well it falls and lands on his chest as he's screaming NOOOOOO!!!! they both fall to the ground and the coon runs straight for him but the dog took the coon out before it could bite his face off. my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

MNenglishman wrote:
heres a funny one, tree a coon that we cant get a shot at from the ground, so my buddy decides to climb the tree, gets about 15 feet up and the coon climbs higher and he's yelling shoot it! so i shoulder my gun and fire, and right when i pull the trigger i heard him yel DONT SHOOT IT! he was laying on his back on a branch and the coon was straight above him. well it falls and lands on his chest as he's screaming NOOOOOO!!!! they both fall to the ground and the coon runs straight for him but the dog took the coon out before it could bite his face off. my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

I climb trees for a living and Ive been thinking about bringing my climbing gear with me hunting but it would be my luck the same thing would happen to me lol