CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ur first coon dog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:25 pm 
IP:
hey lets hear bout ya alls first coon dogs and the stories

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: ur first coon dog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:16 am 
IP:
Joe and Suemays second Coon

I was trying to use a pet coon to train hounds.
I would drag the coon cage and hang it up and let hounds track it.
They were getting board of this especially Sue May.
Joe would not bark at a caged coon,
even if I tried to sic him on it.
So I let coon go and figured he would change county’s,
however he went up the first little tree he came to.
He would not come down or run so I left him food and water and went home.
He was there all night and all the next day,
but the following day he came down and left.

So the next night about midnight we went out.
I had no gun this being September 15th.
I wanted to exercise the hounds and try and find the easy coon.
We walked the usual route,
Joe and Sue May picked up a track near where the easy coon was last seen but lost it along a long grownup fence row running across bare fields.
Then we went farther into the woods on down by the creek.
Sue May treed a possum and I remember thinking this is better than nothing.
I called them and walked on, they left the tree right away.
We walked way down the creek but struck nothing.
I turned come back and they just then opened and ran up hill away from the creek and west…chalk rock and cedar uplands.
I walked after them with old Barry dog my collie retriever who stays with me when we hunt. The hounds were long gone so I waited with light on dim so they could see me.
In about fifteen minutes I heard one walking around in the leaves nearby. I stood there and enjoyed the ¾ waning moon which was very high and cast a very good light and the loud rustling of the giant cotton wood trees.
Thinking back to many past hunts, while watching the many patches of still white moonlight on the ground.
The moonlight on the chalk rock is bright enough for walking without a light so I switched off the nightlight and was walking along.

I noticed a shadow moving across the ground
so I switched on light and noticed a big skunk
waddling unhurriedly along.
Sue May just then crossed the track of the skunk and sniffed.
When I said no Sue May, she much to my surprise turned and walked away continuing to hunt.
Just this year all of a sudden Joe and Sue May stopped chasing armadillos, skunks, and rabbits,
I believe it is because I trot hard and keep up with them
and am in fact hunting with them,
and they know it.
I remind them coon!
Coon! is what we are after,
and scold them promptly for trashing and after a number of times a word is enough.
Hounds naturally loose interest in trash when you let them know what you are hunting and keep up with the hunt yourself.
Don’t let them get board.
The worst thing you can do with hounds is beat them for hunting undesirable game and then fail to take them to where there are coon and then to hunt hard and have fun. They must hunt it is their nature.
Guide them by doing your part,
by finding good coon areas, staying out late,
and often.
Enjoy being pack leader and encourage them to excel.
Anyway, we went over onto the power company land and bingo!
Joe treed at once.
I shone light up the tree and the first thing I saw was a coon.
He was in the first crotch of a giant oak 6’ through
and as sound as a dollar.
With a large limb 3’ through leaning against it 5’ high at the tree.
After 4 years of possums skunks, armadillos, rats, cats and poodles,
{and one lucky coyote kill” A coon!
And there he was!
Well, I thought poor old coon.
This is the tame one we let go 4 nights before.
I enjoyed the dogs treeing awhile and then got to thinking of the old colored man I had seen the other night with 3-4 of his friends.
It was mid September and they were out hunting with half a dozen hounds and a shotgun. They would surly kill this dumb coon.
My dogs need him awful bad to chew as their reward,
and as training’s final touch.
I really need to shoot this coon out to the dogs.
I thought to myself…
Do you, self, want coon dogs?
Or do feelings of compassion for pet coon outweigh?
Do I want to be legal and miss chance to blood dogs on their number one first fair chase coon?
Moral problem … poor coon, 4 days of freedom and pow!
vs my hounds education?
I figured due to my inexperience at training they are behind.
I hear about 1-2 year old hounds treeing their own coon regularly.
My hounds are going to loose interest in treeing as they are never encouraged on anything but squirrel.
Everything else is trash!
I do let them tree possums, anything that climbs.
They need a coon to chew on I have been saying a thousand times, get a coon.
They need coon scent strongly implanted in their minds!
They need it!
In order to be good coon hounds!
So I made my mind up to tie Susie up, and go back to the house for the gun to shoot the coon in the name of education.
Unsporting as it is.
I came back with gun.
Joe had left tree and had met me at the house.
He is used to me leaving tree because of seasons or trash,
he is loosing his natural treeing instinct because of this
so back we go to get Joe that coon.
Poor Joe had thought I was going home
when he realized we were going back!
He was very excited.
25% of the way back to the tree he took off!
And I soon heard him barking treed with his sister
who I had tied to a bush so she would keep the coon busy.
When I got to the tree,
dogs wouldn’t even bark at coon,
I was siccing them I held up the gun,
coon saw that gun!
And started going places!
He came down the tree and ran off into this thicket.
Joe didn’t see this I called Joe over to where coon had passed
on leaning tree and as he hit the scent trail
Boooowwwww!
And the chase was on.

Joe took off in full cry, hot after coon,
working strictly by scent.
He never saw coon but the track was so hot Joe
sounded like he was right on that coons tail.
Joe had coon treed in one minute!
Down thickly wooded dry wash in big oak hollow,
on edge of wash.
I shined but saw only a hole.
Joe was treeing hard but not Suemay.
I climbed tree and shined light down hole,
there was a coon down in the center of the tree,
he looked up at me,
and I said well hi there coon!
For this was not the same coon I had let go!
It was all scroungy all grey and not nearly as fat my coon!
There were coon hairs all over the opening of this well worn
coon tree.
I later noticed tracks of coon on every log crossing the wash,
and since it hadn’t rained for two weeks,
I am sure this was a real wild coon,
and not the pet.
This coon had lived here for months.
I still couldn’t get Sue May to bark treed like she will on a squirrel.
But she hasn’t been tree barking much lately letting Joe
do all the work.
She will come and lay on the porch while Joe is treeing,
however get a gun and walk outside and she runs to the tree
and barks like hell.

Popped a few rounds up at tree,
all dog were silent then all started barking like crazy.
A few more shots and they were thinking
“well now the fool will shoot the coon out for us”
and they just barked like there was 10 coon up there,
for that’s all sue wanted was for me to do my part.
They were used to summer hunting
and no shooting but shoot over them and they really respond,
they are happy.
I really should shoot out a coon to them first chance
but this jump out and second chase,
got them to treeing good.
In shape for the hunting season and I now have a coon to chase every night plus the pet coon,
I HAVE YET TO RUN ACROSS.
The hounds, Barry and I stayed at the tree till 4 in the morning,
we all had a good time.
There are two coon in the woods now,
right beside my house,
and come kill season,
Susie will get all the coon she wants.

This is an old story written in 1983
The pups were young then,
their picture is on the next to last page of my website 'Stories'

Thank you...
Jack the Knife
http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

Last edited by jacktheknife on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 pm 
IP:
good story thinks for sharing. any body else got some stories to ?????
dont care how long or short just enjoy hearing them

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:59 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

MY FIRST COON DOG WAS AROUND 1965 IT WAS SORTA JOHNNY CASHED UP BLACK DOG BLUE DOG CUR CROSS, MY DAD GAVE HIM TO ME WHEN HE WAS ABOUT 7 MNTHS OLD, I HUNTED SQUIRRELS IN THE DAY TIME TILL I HAD HIM TREEING THE FIRE OUT OF THEM AND AT NIGHT I HUNTED HIM IN THE CREEK BOTTOMS BELOW OUR HOME, HE TREED SEVERAL POSSUMS (THAT I KILLED TO HIM) BEFORE HE TREED THE FIRST COON, THE FIRST COON HE TREED WAS LATE IN THE AFTERNOON SQUIRREL HUNTING , ILL NEVER FORGET IT !! HE LIVED TO BE ABOUT 13YRS OLD AND WAS THE DEATH OF MANY A RING TAIL, HIS NAME WAS BROWNIE , WAS ABOUT 45LBS HIGH TAN IN COLOR .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:17 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

MY FIRST DOG WAS A RED DOG,, IN 1977. SHE LIVED TO BE 13 YEARS OLD. SHE WAS THE BEST DOG I HAVE EVER HAD. SHE WENT EVERY WHERE I DID. SHE SET UP IN THE FRONT OF THE TRUCK LIKE SHE WAS SOME BODY .,,LOL,, SHE STAYED IN MY BEDROOM JUST AS MUCH AS SHE DID OUT SIDE.,,, SHE WAS A GOOD HOUND, AND FRIEND.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 am 
IP:
"ruffus" how did it hunt?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my first dog was a bummer..... but i cycled threw a few until i found one i really enjoy and hes gonna die in my kennel... hes a really good hound.. really gentle and really listens to me

thats coon hounds... ive also had deer hounds all my life i got a old female now.. her name is caramel... shes goton to the point where she wont hunt hardly no more but she loves to ride when i take my other ones out to hunt... a few years before she got too old to hunt she would jump in the hunters truck cab if they didnt catch her when she ran by... ive spoiled her a lil letting her ride up front with me ha ha

also i got a big solid white deer walker my dad loved a lot... he runs good and is as big as a horse.. ha ha... well my dad was in the hospital so me and my sis took him in to see daddy... it was funny cuz he didnt like the sliding doors or the elevator ha ha good time doing it and good memorys

Hudson Hound Kennels
home of:

"Boone" and "'PR' Hudson's BOOM'N Moonshine"

and the deer walkers i have... "boy" "caramel" and "knotthead"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:04 pm 
IP:
thinks for the story daisy.. i my self am still looking for a decent walker coon hound which will be my first coon dog and i can not wait to get one i am coon crazy hahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

lol. well i still have my first coon dog. he's 16 months old. best coon dog i've ever had! lol. he's the only one i've ever had. ha. but he's a good dog. he's been through a lot to only been 16 months old. he got run over one night, but thankfully his leg wasnt hurt but for a couple of weeks. he dont like cars now. ha. and now he isnt too happy about crossing rivers anymore since he almost drowned. my dad took him out one night, he did good. treed a couple of coons. when they started heading back to the truck, they had to cross the river. and the river was up. he was on the leash and him and dad was crossing a log. well soda (the dog) fell in and got wedged up under the log and couldnt get out. the water was over his head. my dad finally got him out and he was okay. but the night before last he was running a coon and acted like it crossed the river and he wouldnt cross. i dont know if it was because it was cold or if he was afraid to. because he has crossed the river a couple of times after that night.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I can remeber it like it was yesterdey my first dog was a english redtick hes was briar creek bred.Me an my buddy would take his old dag an i would take lil mack. Well to make a long story short he was 18 months old when he started really turning it on an word got around so some buddies ask me to go with them so they could hunt with him after what they had heard is true so i said ok.We loaded up one night man was it cold to cold to be out but we went anyway.We drove i geuss 45 mins to a place called black house mtn an that place lived up to its name.So we put the tracker on the dogs an cut them loose it wasnt long they hit they were burning that coon up ole mack was right there but he always was alil tight on track wouldnt open alot.A few mins had passed an the dogs come treed but i didnt hear my dog any an now he would blow a tree down but he wasnt there.We got to the tree an sure enough he wasnt there an then it started they were raggin on me pretty bad.We all got back to the truck an still no sighn of my dog so i put the tracker on him an track him down he had fell i would say 40 feet off a bluff i got to him an he looked up at me knowing he was hurt he never made a sound the whole way out.I got him to the vet about 2am an she said his back end was busted an did i want to put him down i said no what can i do she done some surgey an said keep him laid down so i did.So bout 6 months had passed an mack was walkin around but i wasnt hunting him i had got another young dog i was hunting an it was doing fair.So i was loading the truck up one night to go huntin man it was a nice night dark an cool so i loaded the pup up an turned an looked an ole mack was standin wigglin around a whimpering ya guys know what im talkin bout when a hound is ready to go huntin the excitment they get.I stood there for a min an felt kinda bad cause my buddy was rarin to go so i did it i unloaded the pup an he jumped right in to the truck.I went to a old creek bed he used to hunt quite a bit an turned him loose it was just a min he was struck up an treed an did in fact had the ole coonan yes he got it lol.Me an mack hunted the woods in TN for 10 more good years an he never let me down.I didnt write this to bore anyone but to show you how loyal your hounds are to you they will do there part but you have to yours.Its not bout money or whos dog is the best its about beeing out there with your best friend an hearing him run an tree thats what coonhuntin all about to me.Thanks for reeding.In memory of my huntin buddy mack 96 to 2007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:36 pm 
IP:
redtick2 tht was an awesome story and i really enjoyed it. sounds like u had one hell of a dog. i recently just got my first i am fifteen and i eat sleep and breeth coonhuntin hahah. i have a 5 yr old walker female.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My first dog was a walker, got him when i was eight. About four months after i got him trained i took him hunting at my grandmothers house. We went out for about four hours and had a dry run, but right as we walked by my grandparents barn he jumped my grandmothers house cat and took off. After running for about a hundred yards the cat went up a oak tree and when my dog ran up to the tree,he ran his chest into the trunk. And that was the end of my first dog. He broke his brestbone and pushed it into his heart. And as you can tell i can't stand cats. Was probably the best dog i ever owned till i recently bought a bluetick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

got my first dog about 1961or2 iwas 10.worked all summer on uncles farmto get him plus my own chores on our farm.he was 2yrs old bluetick his name was wonder.they named him that cause they wonder if he was coming back.uncle and dad had lost him alot.so he had stop hunting him so i ask if i could have him,will he said ask your dad.he said boy that dog aint worth feeding.but if u want him u have to earn him nothing free.belive thats when thay got me.but i wanted him bad so we stuck a deal me and my uncle.dad just laugh said ok boy hes your u take care of him.oh man the long nights and good times me and that dog had.he was my best friend he died at 11.to me he was the greatest coondog that has ever lived. brings back alot of good memorys with him maybe my dad and uncle huntin him now they have passed on too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My first coondog would hunt for a place to squat.
He sure was a good eater....briefly.
Only good thing I can say about that one.

Saint and Ticket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That's a good lookin english dog hickish. My first coondog turned 9 months old today. Happy Birthday Belle! Taking her hunting tomorrow night to celebrate! Ill add a story to my thread after we get home tomorrow to let yall know how things go. I got her from my buddy when she was 6 weeks old. The first 3 nights, she slept beside me on the couch till I got a crate to put her in. I'm in the process of training her now! Gonna be a good dog! Anytime yall around lexington, sc, let me know and we'll go hunting!