CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog Cough
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hey, I have a 6 year old walker male who has been coughing for several months now. A few weeks after he started coughing, I took him to the vet, she said he had kennel cough and gave him some medicine. The cough went away after he took the medicine, however a few weeks after the medicine ran out he began coughing again. I've been trying to keep him clean water. I notice he slobbers a lot more and I've even tried a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in his water as suggested by another site. Just wondering if any of yall have experienced this or may know what this is. I don't mind giving him the same medince all the time, just wondering if theres something I could do to get rid of it for a longer time period. Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I bought a blue tick several years ago that was supposed to have a recurring "cough". I did buy some kennel cough medicine for him and my whole kennel. I did keep him seperate initially as well, BUT he never had a cough when I had him- never. I did eventually immunize with the intranasal kennel cough vaccine but only because I had already bought it. I've often wondered if he was allergic to something there- an ingredient in his food- he went from Purina pro plan to Purina Hi-pro, his bedding, mold in his old dog box, etc etc.?? I was told about the cough up front but he never exhibited it in my kennel??
Might also be worth trying a different kennel cough vaccine than the one the vet gave him. Just a thought? Anything in his routine change just prior to his cough? Bedding, food, etc. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:22 am 
IP:
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the things you give your dog when you want to make him throw up (i.e. he ate a pound of chocolate). Nauseous dogs start to slobber. Maybe that's why he's slobbering? I don't know. Wouldn't have anything to do with the cough though; at least I wouldn't think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks guys. I just talked to the guy that gave him to me about a year ago and said he had taken him to the vet before and said he had an allergy. He said it didint affect him during the winter though so maybe it will go away soon. Its just now getting cold down here. He said he also did better if you took him hunting, which I havent been doing much since he was coughing. Anyways, its been very dry around here this year so that probably added to it. I've stopped with the peroxide, I don't think it helped. Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a Treeing Walker male dog that has a cough. He has had it for a week .I took him hunting on New Years Eve and he crossed a fairly deep creek after a coon. Once I got to him at the tree he was wet and cold.I took him to the vet on the following Monday, and she said he probably has a respirtory infection. She prescribed him Doxycycline at 300 mg twice a day. Today, one week later he still has the cough. He has been on the antibitic since the vet visit. He is supposed to take them for ten days. I am concerned tha its not working...Does anyone out there have any ideas or advice? I would be grateful for your insight.

Post subject: Re: Dog Cough
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:47 pm 
IP:
That'd be a quick and easy question to call up the vet and ask. A possibility is that when a dog (just like a human) is coughing they're irritating their throat. Irritated throats cause coughing. It's a circle.
It could be other things too--a call to the vet is free thankfully!