CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:33 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i give my dogs ivermectin for cattle/swine for heartworm preventive as many of my friends do. can i still continue this on a pregnant gyp? she was bred in early june and it is time for her july dose ............TC

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:40 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Im thinking it isnt recomended.
But I DO know that Collies and Ivermectin do not play well with each other.
Unless the question has been answered,I'll call my friend tomorrow since he spent all that money,and years in school to have those 3 letters permenatly attatched to the end of his name.

Saint and Ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:28 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Heartgard (ivermectin), Revolution (selamectin), Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) and Iverhart Plus(ivermectin/pyrantel) are reported safe for pregnant dogs. Unless what you are using has another ingredient not contained in those that is harmful I'd assume it is safe to continue using it. It is best to check with your vet to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:58 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well,he told me that it isnt recomended.However,we were both on cell phones,and me out on the country roads,he kept breakin up,so I didnt catch the reasoning why.But thats what the man said.Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live here in texas and after bying a dog that end up having heartworms I asked my vet the same question. I also breed small dogs and yes it is just fine to give them ivermic will the are pregnant and nursing. I use it on all my dogs that I have pregnent or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:10 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

parsons6462 wrote:
I live here in texas and after bying a dog that end up having heartworms I asked my vet the same question. I also breed small dogs and yes it is just fine to give them ivermic will the are pregnant and nursing. I use it on all my dogs that I have pregnent or not.

My vet said the same thing...........continue with the heartworm treatment.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

many thanks..........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The reason I keep hearing (and it makes sense) that vets will not recommend Ivermectin for cattle/swine or any other formulation for livestock is that it is specifically labeled for other animals, not dogs. If they recommended it and something happened to the dog you would have no legal recourse against the company since you gave it to an animal it was not made for. It could also make the vet liable for any damages since you would have been taking the advice of a professional who knew the product was not for dogs but told you it was ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:36 am 
IP:
Most of the city vets I have been to will say not to give Ivomec what so ever.The vets out in the country are happy to hear I use it.

Makes you wonder why all the descrepincy eh??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:10 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Techno wrote:
Most of the city vets I have been to will say not to give Ivomec what so ever.The vets out in the country are happy to hear I use it.

Makes you wonder why all the descrepincy eh??

Yep. I have seen the same thing.

I use a country vet and still have a city vet for services and things that the country vet may not have.

City vet charges $35.50 for yearly booster shot.
Country vet charges $15.50 for same yearly booster shot.

Of course I buy my shots in trays so I don't have to pay those prices.

Funny that I buy the same shot as both of those vets and the one charging $15.50 is making a nice profit so you know the $35.50 is bring some major profit.

arachyd, what's funny is what you said is true, yet vets use it as well for the treatment of sarcoptic mange - talk about off label use. It's suppose to be one of the most effective treatments against sarcoptic mange. LOL

Which they are suppose to give a warning that they are treating the mange with an off label product to the pet owner.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It seems the more "city" a vet is the more he/she deals with a lot of pet-only people whose simplest pet problems are beyond their ability to handle and with people who are quick to point fingers and sue if things aren't done exactly right. Not that all city folk are uninformed but many are when it comes to animal care. I know plenty of people who won't even administer an intestinal worming medicine unless they buy it from the vet's office. I know people who take a kid to the doctor for a splinter if it looks a little red. I know someone who lost custody of his child because she was bitten by a hamster and he didn't think it was serious enough to take her to the doctor (didn't even break the skin) and a nosy acquaintance reported it.

A vet with more country experience will be working with people who deal with accident and injury as a normal part of life and who are capable of handling most of the more common things themselves and such a vet is more likely to treat you as if you have some common sense and knowledge when it comes to your dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:58 pm 
IP:
arachyd that is one heck of a way to put it about the vets.

I think it also has to do with the individual.Some folks think they know everything and they are god.Some folks understand they don't know everything and make a point to never stop learning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Buckshot's right about it being used by vets to treat red mange. I just finished a round of vet recommended mange treatment for a stray the wife brought home; .6cc of 1% for 30 days straight (40 pound dog). Do that and it'll give you a whole new respect for how much ivermectin a dog can take in their system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my gyp just had a litter and i gave her the normal dose every month and everything was fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i had an old farm vet that was into coon hunting and hounds. he used to freeze brand our dogs for us free of charge and even gave me meds to take myself for a bad head cold. he was on the purina board of directors and just a great guy. his son took over his practice and it is a completely differant story on him. old doc was clearly into the hound dogs and treating people fair. even though i had my dogs on heart gaurd all year , his son would not sell me more without a blood check. i saw old doc while i was at tsc and told him about it. he took me to the med cabinet and showed me what to use and how much to give them-1cc per 100 pounds. he also told me the many differant uses for ivermectin.he said the vets are affraid of lawsuits ,but since i had been his customer for so many years he would help me out .but i had to promise i would not tell his son.i had a few people tell me not to give it to her while pregnant. i gave her ,her july dose today along with the other dogs.thanks again ............TC