CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ear clean-up
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:51 am 
IP:
I have been cleaning Spooks ears out about everyday since I got hiim.

I use an ear mite medicine that really gets the junk broke down and leaves the ears clean.My qeustion is Spooks ears seem to be really dirty everyday.It looks as if I didn't clean his ears out slick the day before.

Should I have him checked out at the vet or is this normal for a hounds ears?

My doberman gets build up like he does but not so quick.None of the pitbulls I have had or cared for ever gave me junk out of their ears.

Thanks in advance!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds to me like they might be infected. Jake's ears get black build-up when he's got a yeast infection in there. I treat it with some stuff from the vet, Otomax. I've seen a recipe for an ear wash that is supposed to help too, as an alternative, but I've never tried it. I'll try to find a link if you're interested in trying that.

Here's a link. An article about this home made ear wash is in about the 5th post down...

http://www.coondawgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24177&highlight=ear+infection+violet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 pm 
IP:
I think I clean my hounds' ears once every four months. Even then they don't really need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I assumed some dog's ear put out more junk than other's like kids! Happens that way in our house. Look forward to learning something and hearing answers.

Oregon http://www.bayingbriars.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:48 am 
IP:
So I just got back in from getting Spook to the vet.

tcousins you were spot on...Spook does have a yeast infection.I was given 4oz of T8 Keto flush.

It's an Antibactrial and Antifungal Tris-EDTA formula for dogs,cats and horses.

The vet said some dogs do simply put out a little more junk than others but the sure fire way to tell is that the ears and junk will smell musty as all get out.....Which Spooks ears and junk did smell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Good to know, Techno, thanks for the follow-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:46 am 
IP:
Libby the stuff I was given works!!

The vet did the first squirts yesterday at 10:45.I gave both ears the squirt last night around 8:00.This morning when I gave the squirt to each ear I didn't get very much junk at all.

I'm going to keep this up for about 2 weeks and then slack off to every other day and see how his ears look.

The vet did talk about the weather and with it being so wet it could be a possiblility of why.That brought me to think about when his ears started to get junky and it was right around the warm up.

Post subject: Re: Ear clean-up
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My dog is almost 8 months old. We try to clean his ears once a week. And I would like to do it more, but you need to be a WWE wrestler to win that battle. He is a super nice dog and has never showed any aggression through any of it, but he really really hates us cleaning his ears. Have tried giving him treats and being calm, but he is hip to my game now. Regardless of what kind of delicious treat I have if he sees the ear bottle he heads the other direction. When I grab his collar and try to force it on him we are able to get 1 ear at a time but it really is a struggle. I would like to figure out a way to handle this procedure in an easier fashion both for my sake and for his. I can only imagine if it becomes a wrestling match, it will only become worse over time. Might already be too late.....anyone have any tips?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Duke,
I'd have him checked by the vet fiirst to see if there is some problem with his ears first. That would cause him to really fight it. My dogs rub their ears or shake their heads a lot if there is a problem, but one never knows since they have a high thrusthold for pain and can't talk.

If the ears are fine otherwise, just be firm. I don't know why once a week unless he is swimming. I usually clean the ears after clipping the toe nails once a month. One dog LOVES it, the other not so much, but she doesn't fight like she used to. Maybe she is just glad it isn't nail clipping by that point!

~~~~
Techno...almost three years ago this thread started...and look how far you've come =D and Spook's out and about without sweaters anymore to boot.

7-8 weeks till the new, furless pup comes?!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Libby,

Thanks for the advice. I just booked an appointment for tomorrow morning.

The symptoms you mentioned (head shaking and rubbing his ears) are something he has been doing often. I knew it was a sign of ear aches, but thought if I cleaned them I would be ok.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Under ideal circumstances I do Pinky's ears every day. Those floppy ears are just begging for it. Sometimes I take a soft hair band and tie them up just to air her ears out. This also offers me comic relief. Again--the daily treatment & preventative regime for MY Walker. I am not a Vet etc.

What I do is wet a 100% cotton ball with this concoction:
Basically 1 part each of water, white vinegar and peroxide. Pull the ear back away from face some, stick it in there and massage base of the ear a bit so it gets down in there. Then remove the cotton (unless you don't mind having it hurled at you at 90 mph.) I do not recommend alcohol as it can be very irritating especially when the ears are already pink and unhappy.

For unhappy pink ear (pain/discomfort) I have a shot glass in the cupboard in which I have already steeped a 1/2 small clove of garlic and a few cloves (like you might stick in a ham) for a day or two. I take just enough to coat my finger tip and rub it around the outer ear canal.

And I just always flop whatever ear is up over when we a relying around.

Oh and plain yogurt every day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well, just got back from the vet. Sure enough, ear infection it is. Vet said I caught it pretty early though. Got some medicine so hopefully that will clear it up. Thanks for the advice.

Belle, thanks, I will try those tips.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Catching it early is best! I bet he'll enjoy ear cleanings once it's cleared up, or at least not fuss.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Duke6017 wrote:
Well, just got back from the vet. Sure enough, ear infection it is. Vet said I caught it pretty early though. Got some medicine so hopefully that will clear it up. Thanks for the advice.

Belle, thanks, I will try those tips.

I really recommend daily for dogs inclined. And drying the ears if they come indoors from the rain as well.

To make the simple concoction less simple put in a speck of gentian violet. To make it further complicated still :lol: get glycerine from the pharmacy and stir in some of that--it's an emollient.

Pinky runs like mad when she smells me coming with my potion. Sometimes I use a syringe. I think she hates the shock of the cold fluid more than the fluid so I'll walk around with it for a while in my sweats or in my hand to warm the juice up. Once I get her cornered, and get the cotton in and start massaging she stays still and acts cooperative and as if she knows I'm helping her.* She knows the words "fix it." Whenever I do anything in the area of boo-boo remediation I do the Happy Coo: "Gonna fix it." See, we fix it. Fix it Pinky. "

* I also simultaneously press down on her ear flap to help prevent the violent propelling/head-shake that could take my eye out. kid.

Meanwhile, I haven't had time to bathe in a month... :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well, We have attempted to give/given him the treatment 3 times now in two days. And thus far there is no progress in him submitting to the practice. It is actually getting worse. It is like we are complete strangers to him and he is deathly afraid that we are going to hurt him. Its honestly a physical workout trying to help him. He is flailing, and doing everything in his power to escape us. I know we have not been able to properly treat him each time (although we have been able to get some medicine in there each time). But it is only day 2 and I just can not see being able to accomplish this twice a day for 5 more days.

Should I call the vet and ask for another remedy? Although I cant imagine there are any other options.