CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Ear clean-up
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Duke, You have to win this war. This is behavioral stuff and if the dog is this difficult to manage at 8 mos. and you give in you'll have a mess, like my Pinky, on your hands.

Hey. What is he--45 lbs. now?

Maybe he is wigging out from pain. Give him some Benadryl, wait, then sit on his back if you have too! Did the vet give you anything for pain? Give him an aspirin. I AM NOT A VET DON"T FOLLOW MY ADVICE UNLESS YOU CHECK IT OUT FIRST YADA YADA,

ANybody else? Please. ;-)

Let us know how it goes. Be interesting to see a video.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:03 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'd call and let the vet know, maybe there is an oral medicine, like when kids get ear infections. Maybe getting a little in will be enough. Maybe a little benydryl 1/2 hour before to calm him? How is his head shaking and ear rubbing?

I can't remember how old you said he was, but just keep being firm, without punishing him, and love him up afterwards with treats. Even if he's older, they can learn, too. Also, I found not having others in the room helped with my problem pup. She could see no one was going to help her!

Please keep us posted.

PS I see Belle answered, too...a page turner and I hadn't turned!

Oregon http://www.bayingbriars.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He is almost 8 months....and 62 lbs! Not fat though, trim as can be and strong! He is super calm and listens well any other time other then this process. But honestly, if an outsider saw this, they would think that we have beat him from birth the way he acts around us when we attempt to give him this treatment. Its just my girlfriend and me who are around when we attempt to do this. Two people is a must. My girlfriend lives with me and has lived with him since I got him at 7 weeks old, so he is completly used to having her around. I am wondering if it is just really painful for him, he knows we wouldnt deliberatly hurt him. Just have to keep on keeping on I guess. But man, I can not wait to get through 5 more days of this.

Thanks again.