CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: white gums
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ive been picking an awful lot of ticks off of my dogs the past week or so, i have also noticed that their gums seem to be very light pink almost white in color, could this be related or what would their gums being white mean? they are acting and eating fine. any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

White gums can mean they are anemic. Ticks and fleas can cause this and it can be deadly if left untreated. Might want to call your vet and see what he has to say.

Daylene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 am 
IP:
My friend worked at an emergency vet clinic. When each dog/cat was checked in she'd go check to see if their gums were white; if they were the animal was rushed into the back and treatments were immediately started. Sounds like your dogs' white gums aren't that "rush situation" but I wouldn't play with it, I'd take them to the vet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

white or pale gums can also be a sign of hook worms

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Pale or white gums is a sign that there is not enough rich, healthy blood just beneath the surface. This happens when there is a lack of blood from injury, anemic blood from parasites (internal or external) taking all the nutrients and when the dog is in shock from something serious happening to it. In shock the dog's blood supply is drawn inward to the most vital organs to keep the dog alive at the risk of losing less important limbs. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if the color you see is healthy if it looks a tiny bit pale. If you aren't really sure chances are the dog may be a little anemic and a vet should check the dog out. If the gums are an unmistakeable shade of white a vet is needed ASAP.

Post subject: white gums
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

when the vet looked at my pup for a intestine problem he wasent eating or drinking and he checked if the gums were white and if the whites of the eyes are bloodshot than they are dehydrated but it sounds like it is just from the blood not being all in the surface

Post subject: what is wrong
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:42 pm 
IP:
My dogs gums are more white than pink or red what could be going on, I just bought him about 6 weeks ago he is from Indiana but bought him out of Georgia?

Post subject: Re: white gums
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im actually a vet tech and white gums do usually mean anemia. This can happen in animals that have been severly infested with fleas and ticks, and internal parasites. I would suggest a good deworming and a flea and tick treatment of some sort wether it be a collar, dip, or topical or oral product. That the appetite is good is a really good sign. You may even want to have them checked for lyme disease we were told by our drug rep that they have been seeing more cases up North and im in Fl so everywhere is up north from me.