CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Deaf puppy please help!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my friend has a 4 month old bluetick female that he thinks is deaf. he says she cant hear anything. he has shot a gun around her and made lots of noise but the dog dont act like she hears anything. I was wondering if there is some medical condition that she could have that would make her appear to be deaf. i have a litter mate to the pup and he is just fine we cant figure it out. please help.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:31 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Coonhounds do practice selective hearing if you let them. If you really think the pup is deaf ask your friend if he has cleaned her ears lately-they could be clogged. Some dogs have excessively gunky ears. If she is deaf you can teach her signs instead of voice commands. They pick up on it quickly and learn to watch for signals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:34 am 
IP:
Selective hearing is true. A great test is to stand behind her (when she's eating, so she has zero clue you're there) and smash two metal food bowls together. Check for any reaction.
I know some of those shock collars has a vibrate (no shock) option, if you could train her to come when it vibrates I would think she could still possibly hunt. It'd be awful to have a dog in the field that you couldn't call.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey i am hoping even thouggh this is a really old topic that you still jump on here i was wondering what you figured out because i have aquired one today with same fear/issue any help is appreciated

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if i was you id just shoot em sorry to say

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Why is the answer always shoot it??????? Anyways glad your not me its dang good pup and i took it knowing its ears aint right so it didnt get shot my young kids wanted a pup and it beat buying one and with a gps collar around its neck its not hard to find him yeah its a gamble but sometimes ya just do things ya jusst do things for your kids and if i can make him hunt for me its win win call me a bleeding heart or whatever you want it is what it is if i need to put a dog down i will but if i dont i absolutely wont