CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: bleeding tail
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my ab catchdog wags his tail so hard it bleeds. he always has blood on his sides from wagging. what can i do? must be painfull cause he won't let me touch his tail at all

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:44 pm 
IP:
I'm guessing his kennel isn't very big and so he's hitting the sides all the time with his tail. I use QuickStop for short-term bleeding, but a long-term problem like this doesn't much warrant it. I wish I could say wrap his tail, but after working at a vet and seeing this situation before, a wrap just won't stay on long enough to be worth the time it takes to put it on. Maybe someone has a better solution, but I'm thinking he just needs a bigger kennel due to his wagging. I know that's not what you'd want to hear, since the time and money that means. Good luck though, and maybe somebody else has a different suggestion that will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

he is on a chain. he hits it on his dog house, or in the dog box when we go hunting :(

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:55 pm 
IP:
Wow, he must just have thin, sensitive skin on his tail. Has it ever healed up, or has he had it pretty raw for a long time? I ask that mainly as a thought on if you can get it to heal up once, maybe it won't return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

been bout 2 weeks. he wags the heck out of that tail

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:08 am 
IP:
If it's just been 2 weeks, then maybe if you can get it to heal it might not occur again. If it was my dog I'd put quick stop on it, and bandage it. I said earlier that bandages don't work well, and that's true, but if you keep a close eye on it and re-bandage frequently it might. If he's chewing the bandages off I'd put an e-collar on him (the cone that fits over their heads, not the shocker). I also wouldn't put him in the dog box until it looks like it's good and healed, since in the dog box when he wags he will hit it on walls. I've always seen the tail problem happening when dogs are boarding in small kennels, and in those situations you're pretty much fighting a losing battle unless you can get them into bigger kennels. With him being on a chain, I think there is a better chance of resolving this quicker. Good luck, let us know how things are going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This is actually a fairly common problem in hunting dogs. That is why so many have their tails half docked. They get so excited their tails end up bashing into everything and getting injured. If you can't get it to heal and it continues to be a problem you should ask your vet to dock the tail rather than risk it getting infected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dock his tail- most all of my dogs have docked tails. It keeps them from getting beat up and infectious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

patroleiyum jelly works good to get them to stop bleeding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:46 am 
IP:
I think its hardly ever kennal size,just the excessive hard wagging,sure it may be a prob in a three foot kennel but I have seen it in my 10x12,and have seen it on 20' kennel.Like they stated.I think its the dog houses and boxes most of the time,but still I've seen them in a large kennel standing so close to the fence that they were beating their tails off it.

Post subject: Re: bleeding tail
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:45 am 
IP:
karl-nc wrote:
my ab catchdog wags his tail so hard it bleeds. he always has blood on his sides from wagging. what can i do? must be painfull cause he won't let me touch his tail at all

Hey Karl-nc,
it's been a couple weeks, have you made any progress or had any success?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thought i had it whooped. but it was bleeding again today. not near as bad though

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My three year old walker always looses hair on the end of his tail and it bleeds sometimes. Is there any things you guys do to prevent this or control it from getting worse?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

we call that "Happy Tail Syndrome"

If you have time for a story...
Our male Beagle did that to his tail...took him to the Emergency vet ( spraying blood all over the house)...they wrapped the tail and sent us home. We do not like our EM vet in the area so we took him to our vet the next day...
Our vet walked in and his eyes got WIDE and he said...
"WOW...there must have been a sale on tape and I missed it"
The EM vet had wrapped his tail from tip to base. It looked like a baseball bat.
ANYWAY>>>>>>>>>

The docking the tail suggestion might not be a bad one. Better than the pain and/or infection.
We use Corn Starch to stop bleeding.
There is a product you can buy from some websites called Clotisol that works well and also has pain reliever in it.

Is he banging it on the INSIDE of his dog house or the outside of the house?
I know a guy whose dogs kept whacking up their tails in their boxes so he took moving blankets and hung them inside about an inch or so from the walls of the box and that solved the problem.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

3 year old thread :lol: used super glue and started putting him in a smaller compartment in dog box when hunting

Profile  WWW