CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 am 
IP:
I have a dog that had a recent pad cut. It seems to have healed in the last few days but I think I need a product for standby for pad maintenance should he have another tear. I have read threads on pad/foot medical issues but I want to ask from a different perspective as I found several products and little to no feedback in the threads regarding which is best.

I searched the local farm stores and found no pad maintenance products so I searched the Nite lite catalog, and found several products so I thought a thread discussing pad products might be helpful for those who want to know which is best for which situation and their store source.

What products do dog owners keep on hand for emergencies, etc. I assume a good salve/antibiotic for scrapes and cuts. Also I figured a product to toughen the pads. Here is what I found:

Salves/Tripleantibiotics for cuts:

EMT GEl
Cut Heal Ointment

Pad maintenance:

Tuf-Foot
Blue Lotion Spray
Pad Heal

Comments/Experiences/Other products you recommend?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 pm 
IP:
i dont really no but my puppy cut his pad pretty good the other night and it bled like a stuck pig and i cleaned it out and put some praroxide and packed it with neosporin and then i put tuff foot on it. but i dont really no how well its goona work cuz he runs around on it dont even no if it stayed on him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

EMT gel is incredible. There is nothing like it. Will heal a worn off pad in less than a week. Will heal a cut in a couple days. It's amazing.

As far as toughening up the pad. I can't help you. I wish I knew a product. After the cut heals, the skin is very soft and easily wears away even quicker than the last time. THe only thing I do is go slow and try to toughen them up like you would get a calis on your hands.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:05 pm 
IP:
I just ordered some Tuf-Foot. Took 4 dogs out and my lack of better judgement let them run in an area with some iced up dirt roads. It had rained earlier in the week. The mud created turned to ice. Frozen tire tracks in the ice made it pretty rough. One dog had no problems. One dog had some minimal scraping and sore areas around his toenails. Third dog lost a few hunks of pad. The youngest dog lost a good amount of pad on all of his feet. I hit them with Blue lotion when I loaded them up. I'm going to try the Tuf-Foot on 2 of the dogs(the young one was sold) and i'll let you know how it works out. Hoping to hunt one of them the weekend after Christmas. Guess I'll be a bit more careful when there's ice next time. Lesson learned...the hard way!

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:30 pm 
IP:
City...I had the same thing happen to one of my dogs this past weekend. I'm planning on hunting all of next week so hopefully it will heal up quick.

Does 8 days sound like a reasonable timeframe for it to be healed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm 
IP:
I guess it would depend on how bad off the dogs feet are and what he's gonna be running on. Fresh snow will obviously be easier on the feet than dry or frost covered or frozen ground. 3 of those dogs belong to my friend and one was mine. My dog had cracks around the edges of his pads and lost a few very small pieces on the edges of his pads. That was last Thursday. He's still babying them although he is definitely getting around better. First few days it was hard to get him up to go out to the bathroom. I am not going to run him until next weekend. Should have the Tuff-Foot by Friday and am going to use that for a week. If the ground is rough next weekend i'll probably give him another week off. Have to see how they're coming along. We just got a TON of snow, so hopefully the weather will be somewhat stable and we won't end up with a bunch of ice. I would think a dog with a high quality diet would heal faster too. Meat, I would think, would be helpful. I had a buddy who fell asleep (drunk) with a lit cigarette and burned the crap out of his arm. They told him to eat lots of red meat to help it heal.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:15 pm 
IP:
The snow is gone here so it's just dirt now. I'll just keep watching it and hoping it heals quick enough. I'm going to try and find some Tuff-Foot.

They didn't seem to bother him much at all but I'm sure it had to hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:11 pm 
IP:
Tuff-foot or pad-tough will do.Use it everyday and in no time the pads will be nice and tough.

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/dept.asp?dep ... 4E0B29444F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what about musher's secret? I used it once when runing yote pen seemed ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Happy Jack Pad Kote does a pretty good job of healing and maintenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:45 pm 
IP:
Been using tuff-foot for about 4 days now. Seems to be working well. The places where the dog had lost some pad had healed but seemed very soft, like a puppy's pad. Now the pad is noticeably harder. I got a little brush and put some in a cup and brush it on the dogs feet. Now if the weather would just cooperate! Went from 15 inches of snow to almost none within a week.

Post subject: bloody pads
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

well my 4 month old pup had real bloody pads a few days ago, the snow all melted and on top of that we got rain.. so the kennel was a complete mess.. standing water.. well her feet were bleeding pretty good so i moved her to a dry area and her pads have healed up good.. i have put a truck load of wood chips in the kennel now.

Runnin' them hounds til' the sun comes up

Post subject: Paws
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My buddies dogs paw will start to bleed within the first two days of bear hunting how do I fix or help that

Post subject: sore feet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

was wanting to know what anyone used to toughing there hounds feet? i was told that turpentine, bleach would help. any help?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ive used turpintine put it in a spray bottle and hit there feet just a little for a few days seems to work well for me as a preventative not
after there done sore.