CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

At what age should you expect your pup to stop growing? i was just curious cause i got a 6 1/2 month bluetick female and she is only 41lbs and hoping she going to a little more growing, Thanks.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:13 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It seem like to me they don't get much taller after 8 month she will not get much taller after that but they get thicker till there 2 years old. She mite grow as much as 2-3 inches after 8 months but I like small dogs in thick areas and some of them seem to be faster than a big dog the olny thing that need to be big is her heart and her mouth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:16 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I consider coonhounds to be Large Breed dogs. This means they will not quit fully growing until about 18 months old. Sometimes less, sometimes more. This is the time it takes them to fully mature and fill out. Your female may get a little taller and fill out more in the legs, chest and head.

Home of:
GRCH PR WILKINSON'S JEBB *2ND & 5TH PLACE TO NITECH*
NITECH GRCH PR MORGAN'S LOSSES HILLS DAWN
*4 WINS TO GRNITE*
*2010 UKC WORLD HUNT QUALIFIED*
*#2 UKC CURRENT TOP REPRODUCING PLOTT FEMALE*
CH PR GIMME THREE STEPS MISTER *3RD PLACE TO NITECH*
PR SHEZA BAD MAMMA JAMMA
PR MISTER'S TWISTED SISTER

Proud Handler of:
NITECH CH PR WILKINSON'S THOR
*1 WIN TO GRNITE*
*2010 UKC WORLD NITE HUNT QUALIFIED*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Pup not growin ????
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I havent really ever raised a dog from a pup besides beagles. I got a 5 month old walker female. She may be just over 15 inches high to the shoulder. I no her dam and sire werent great big dogs but dang she seems mighty small. Yall think shell hit a growin spert in the next month or two or is she as big as shes gonna get. Its really kind of worrying me.

Pr Black Label Kates Memory
"You gotta make a commotion like a D-O-G"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My walker pup just turned 6 months last week. She really grew from her 5th to her 6th month, so I think you'll see the same thing. Mine put on 10 lbs. and 2-3 in. height in the last month or so! Good luck with her.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Some of the small walker are all most full grown at 11 months some of the bigger ones grow till there 2 years. How big is the mom and dad . Rat pups seem to grow fast and small.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Shes wipeout on both sides. Most people tell me wipeout seems to be bigger dogs. Both of her parent were medium sized hounds, probably around 40 or 50 pounds maybe 24 inches high. I dont no that is a ruff guess. Im no good at guessin the weight of somthing and it was so long ago I cant exactly remember how high they were, but I remeber comenting on how my male dog was alot bigger than them. This is a picture of my male at 9 or 10 months maybe a little more. he hasnt gotten any taller really just filled out alot more. The parents of the pup was probably around 5 or 6 inches shorter than him. The sire is Wipeout Poison Wiskey of you ever heard of him. I no he was in the UKC world hunt this year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:47 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

They top out in growing by a year (9-12mo), then thicken up.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetun17/racc ... fmaryland/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi!I am new to coonhounds. We rescued Lucy from a flea market. She was pitiful in a small crate.They said she was 6 weeks old in reality the vet said she was about 3-4weeks. Tiny at 4.4 pounds not really able to walk. They also said she was a treeing walker/blue tick mix.( DNA says walker/lab??? but has allthe ticking ....see new topic about that however) She is now aprox 6 mos and weighs 29.8 pounds. the vet said she is almost full grown?? Could that be possible??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:28 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

cllfdl wrote:
Hi!I am new to coonhounds. We rescued Lucy from a flea market. She was pitiful in a small crate.They said she was 6 weeks old in reality the vet said she was about 3-4weeks. Tiny at 4.4 pounds not really able to walk. They also said she was a treeing walker/blue tick mix.( DNA says walker/lab??? but has allthe ticking ....see new topic about that however) She is now aprox 6 mos and weighs 29.8 pounds. the vet said she is almost full grown?? Could that be possible??

might be stunted from weaning too early or starvation. my guess: 40-45 at full size. let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If you post a pic we might be able to tell what she is. There are quite a few breeds that show ticking. IMO the DNA testing for determining breeds is useless until they have a much larger database of breed DNA samples. Coonhounds are not generally supposed to be very big dogs and tend to be a bit light until about 1 - 1/2 years old when they pack on the pounds.