CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog Toenails
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I cut my dogs nail to short and it started bleeding. I dunked it in mud and it quit for the most part, but someone told me to dunk in flour so I did and she licked it and it started seeping blood again. I went ahead and redunked it in mud, think it will be alright. Or do you have any ideas of somethign else I should do?

CH 'PR' DE PALMO'S LIVIN ON ALIMONY
'PR' DE PALMO'S OUT LOUD OLLY

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My aunt is a dog groomer, so I learned a few tricks of the trade. Try holding a piece of bread on the toe nail for about 30 seconds. That will stop the bleeding. Also, a good investment is Quick Stop - it
s a yellow powder that stops the bleeding and is good for when you cut the toe nails too short or if the dog has a minor cut.

Sabrina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If you touch it the dog will let you know in no uncertain terms it hurts like blazes. If it will not stop bleeding your best bet is a powdered type of astringent like Wonder Dust or common kitchen alum (aluminum sulfate) that you can gently puff on instead of something you rub on. Don't cover it with anything. It will help it dry up and stop the bleeding. Once it is dry just let it be, it will shrivel up and heal on its own.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:45 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have a female that is a CH that i'd like to get to GRCH, but her quick is right at the tip of her nails. This means I can't cut em, so she can't get up on her feet good enuff now. Is there anyway I can get the quick to back up where I can cut her nails? Or would it hurt anything to just cut one nail back one day, get it to quit bleeding, then do just one nail a day untill all are cut?

'PR'TN Ragin' Blue Banjo(Bluetick)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Cutting the quick is VERY painful and you shouldn't try it unless you want that dog to be terrified of getting her nails cut. Cut them as short as you can and walk her regularly on a paved road. After about 3 or 4 days see if you can cut some more. As you cut them and the dog puts rough pressure on the tips of the nails the quick will recede a bit but you have to keep on top of it and cut every few days. Don't let the nail grow back much at all or the quick will grow too instead of receding. I've noticed our coonhounds have much faster growing nails than our other dogs. Eventually they should be short enough if you keep up with it and the dog will even start to be easier to handle for nail clipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with the above. I rarely have to cut my dogs nails. If they are ran enough they will keep them worn down on their own.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:09 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

This female was in IL gettin hunted in the hunts by her handler at that time. He didn't worry bout cutting her nails, so now I am havein a hard time getting the quick to recede. I can't even barely nip her nails before gettin into the quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Okay here is what I did, I had the same problem with male dog. No matter how much I ran him in the woods, it didn't seem to matter. We have a dead end road with very little traffic. So I sat on the tail gate of my truck while my fiance drove the truck. Kept it at a steady slow pace so our male was at a jogging pace. He would drag his toe-nails on the pavement . We did this for about a month solid every other day or every two days. He now has a very short quick and I am able to keep his nails short enough to where ther is only about 1-2cm showing. Now he really gets up on his toes!

"PR" ADAM'S OUTLAWIN' BLAZE
CH "PR" SKIPPIN' LIPPIN' LADY
"PR" SMOKEY BLUE MISTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I agree with what arachyd said about doing it a little at a time. I do caution you however on using the paved road. It works good but be careful and dont over do it. A quicked toenail is painful, but not near as painful as a slipped foot pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:05 pm 
IP:
The only dog I have ever had to clip is my female who has/had heartworms and couldn't get excercise.She's been out twice now and is already looking better on the nails.

Post subject: Dog help!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:41 am 
IP:
i just got a new dog and his nails are very long how would i cut them so they would get back 2 normal? just cut them lil by lil so u dont cut the quick? any help would be great!! Thanks, Shane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

most of the time on concrete pen you dont even have to worry bout clipping nails

Post subject: Dogs nails
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

When are a dogs nails to long? I was talking to one of the old guys that has hunted all kind of dogs and he said if their nails get to long it will affect the way they walk. He said he would have to take a look at my dogs nails but i dont want to haul my dog to his house. I am looking at getting my dogs nails cliipped next trip to the vet. Any help would me greatly appreciated. :)

Post subject: Re: Dog Toenails
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:20 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I clip them myself and one thing to go by is when they click on the floor there to long. Some dogs with white nails you can see just how short to cut them.

Post subject: Re: Dog Toenails
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

as said before if he dog has clear nails you can see the quick.. its like our own fingernails.. the pink part inside the nail is the quick and you dont wanna get to close to it..

Runnin' them hounds til' the sun comes up