CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: CAN DOGS GET POISON IVY?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

IN THE BACK OF MY PARENTS HOUSE THERE IS A BOB WIRE FENCE IN WHICH THE NEIGHBORS HORSES ARE KEPT RIGHT NOW IT IS FULL OF POISION IVY , POISON OAK...MY MOTHERS DOG HAS BEEN GOING BACK THERE TO DO HER BUSINESS...NOW UNDER HER NECK SHE IS ALLLLLLL BROKE OUT AND ITS STARTED TO HAVE A YELLOWISH DISCHARGE AND RED BUMPS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE END OF HER HIND LEGS... SHE IS GOING TO THE VET TOMMOROW... ANY SUGGESTIONS? UNTIL SHE GETS THERE ANYTHING TOPICAL? YOU CAN TELL THE DOGS NOT "FEELING WELL"

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:30 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I've never heard of a dog getting poison ivy/oak but it sure sound like it doesn't it? How about the stuff folks use on thereselves, Tecnu, I believe it's called and you can get it at the pharmacy section of Walmart, or a local drug store. Good luck and let us know if that was poison ivy/oak. Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I suppose they can get it. I've got 2 dogs that will pull a poison ivy vine and even bite one in half trying to get squirrel to move. I keep expecting them to get it, but they never have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:28 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, it is possible.......It happens on rare occasions.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:58 am 
IP:
My hounds get it exspecialy around their groin area but my long haired collie mix doesn't have that problem. Poison ivy grows thick here and the dogs usually adjust to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:43 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

he used to get it especially bad on the top of his head. he was a housedog and passed it on to me : ) Usually only short-haired dogs with sensitive skin come up with it. The ridgie had other contact allergies. He was always getting sprayed by skunks and that made him break out.

benadryl (generic: diphenhydramine) helps some, but not much after they are already broken out. bathing with dish detergent breaks up the oil and can keep them from passing it on to you.

cortisone, particularly prednisone, will clear it right up, but you don't want to give that too often.

If you want to prevent future outbreaks, apply any oily substance before the dog is exposed. that will prevent the poison ivy oils from reaching the skin. You will then have to rinse the dog off when he gets home. This will also make a mess of furniture, etc., so think twice before doing it to a house dog. I get poison ivy really badly, and cold cream or vaseline on my ankles and wrists completely prevents problems for me when I hunt.

Post subject: Poison ivy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Do any of you guys worry about your dogs coming in contac with poison ivy and then giving it to you? Any prevention techniques?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ive had the problem with the dogs passing it on to me, but i am extremely allergic to poison ivy so its horrible, i just try not to let them jump up on me when they come in and are wet, other then that you cant really do much, I have tried everything in the book to help with it and nothing at all works except Buro-sol -- its powder you mix with a cup of water and just dab it on the spot ( i know the sound of poison ivy and water sounds crazy) but it works, ill have it all up my leg and it will dry it all up in a max of 3 days, Im sure it could work on your dogs as well that get it, just have to make sure it soaks the area fur and all

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

just like people...some dogs get it and some do not.
Until talking to a forester friend of ours I thought EVERYONE got poison Ivy...not true. Not everyone is allergic to the toxin. This guys wife for instance...she can walk around like it was grass and no ill effects. Their Son is the same way.
I would guess the same is true of dogs.

I know dogs who have been in PI can give it to YOU.

Profile  WWW