CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

One of my hounds have 2 mornings in a row had what looked like heavy sleep possible puss in both his eyes. not anytime else. NOt sure what it is my other dogs dont have this at all. If anyone has had this happen or if its just normal sleep. Not sure what would cause it. Any info thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:24 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My dog seem to get this alot in the summertime from allegies so it prolly isnt serious buy if i gets worse or swollen shut I would go get it checked out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It could just be that the pollen count was high for a couple of days. It bothers them sometimes like it does people. The eye gunk is a way for the dog's eyes to clean themselves (if it isn't an infection or sickness). If the dog is eating, drinking, and playing and doesn't seem to be blinking or rubbing its eyes a lot it is probably not something to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks everyone for the info. Hey archyd yoy probably dont remember but my female dog had pyometra? a year or so ago that you gave info on, she pulled through and was able to have a litter of pups to boot, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:22 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I remember. I was wondering if it was the same Corny :D . Glad to hear she was able to have pups. Usually nobody realizes there's a problem until it's too late. I think they've either taken the stuff off the market or vets are refusing to use it because I've been hearing from a lot of people that they can't get the shot anymore.

Post subject: EYE GUNK
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

What do you all use for eye gunk?
Got two hounds that keep getting slimey gunk.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Just use a clean moist rag and wipe them down good. Do your hounds live outside and is there a lot of smoke or dust in the air? Mine gets bad with it in the fall, especially when fields near us are being combined and the dust is blowing. Unless there are signs of an infection and the dog acts bothered with it I would just give them a wipe if it is bothering you. I know what you mean I think cause it does look a mess and I like mine to look cared about, especially since she's in the house.

Post subject: Mucus in dogs eyes.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a 7 year old walker that always seems to have mucus in his eyes. It looks just like snot, but its in his eyes. The main time i can notice it is when he wakes up. He has a history of having allergys after hunting in the summer, and his eyes swelling shut. But about the mucus in his eyes, I have no clue what to do! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I keep a tube of terramicin oinment for the eyes on hand..... 3 to 4 days twice a day takes care of most eye problems..... I get it at my local feed store. Normal eye wash from walmart helps also.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My hounds seem to get more sleep and such in their eyes than normal sometimes for a few reasons. Sometimes, they seem to get allergies during the warmer months, probably when the pollen count is up, or when they kick up a lot of dirt when they are bouncing all around and being hyper. Also, I have noticed it a couple of times this winter on the colder days, which I am guessing maybe their eyes are getting dry from the cold and wind, so their tear glands are producing an overflow of tears to keep their eyes moist. I am not expert by any means, these are just my opinions.
Keep an eye on him though. If you start to notice the corners of his eyes (where his tear gland/third eyelid is) take him to the vet. That can be an onset of cherry eye. I know, because my one pup had this for a while, and then one day I went to his kennel, and he had cherry eye. It does not bother his sight at all, just makes him not all that pleasant to look at.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my redbone seems to always have eye boogers. i wipe the lower corners with a damp cloth to clean them. his eyes are clear though.
while at the vet getting his annual check-up & rabies shot the vet said it looked like allergies & said not to worry about it.