CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I recently came back from a hunt to find a deer tick. I have found wood ticks on my bluetick as well. What is the best way to search a dog for ticks?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:31 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I do a visual just looking over the dog and then run my hand over the coat backward to look at the skin. I also feel for them because I have blueticks and sometimes ticks are hard to see. I also check them the next day after being in the woods because sometimes I find them a day later. I'm not sure if they fall off while I'm checking the first time and then climb back on or if I miss them but I usually find 1 or 2 the next day. I have found them in the car and on the front steps (where I usually do tick checks) after being in the woods so they are probably falling off and climbing back on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the advice. I put on him BioSpot tick/flea repellant. It's like Frontline, I guess. I also have him vaccinated against Lyme Disease. I live in Columbia County, PA.

We just haven't had the heavy frosts needed to knock out the ticks. I took him out with me while small game hunting today. It started to snow. He loves bad weather. This is the first bluetick I've ever had. I like them. He needs a bit of a "tune-up" though. He knows that when I turn around, we're heading back to the truck. He takes off and won't return for 1/2 hour to an hour. Blueticks are so smart, but mine is mostly a smart-ass. He knows what he's doing. Any tips on this problem?

thanks,
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You probably should put that question in the training section or do a search. It has been brought up a couple of times. We have such mild winters here that we get ticks all year round most years. I never had any success with Bio Spot for either ticks or fleas. Duranon works pretty well against ticks and they make one specifically for dogs and one for humans.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I try to handle my dogs after every hunt. Put a horse curry comb to them and that'll brush out most tick that aren't attached. All my dogs know to lay down and roll over on their back when I point down and tell them "check for ticks." Pick any off the belly and flanks. Check your dog after every hunt like that and you'll be surprised how many times you find a cut or something else needs treated too. I always keep Bio Spot on the dogs and it's worked well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

when ticks first get on a dog they are real small and they attach themselfs and start sucking blood. thats just what they do. as they suck blood there bodys swell up thats usually when i find them. take either a cigarette or a hot match head touch it lightly on the tick and it will back out. it might take a few tries but the heat will back it out.

Post subject: Tick removal
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been searching the threads for some advice on tick removal with no luck. Up until now I've had fairly good luck removing ticks from my dogs. I bought a tick removal kit from the store, it amounts to a can of spray that "freezes" the tick dead, then a pair of tweezers to remove the tick. I found a tick on my Bluetick, sprayed it with the freeze stuff, but when I tried to gently remove the tick the head stayed in my dog. If the tick was dead before I pulled it in two, will it hurt my dog or will the dog naturally push the dead part out of his skin? He had a lump there for a day, but it seems to be getting smaller now. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: Tick removal
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hel be alright most of the time if u can't get the head out it will pimple up and come out after a while. You have to make sure u grab it right by the head and pull straight up steadily. The head should pop right put with the tick. You don't need to waste ur hard earned money in spray just a good pair of tweezers will work fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Get a ear tag for a cow and put on the dogs coller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm getting pretty good at removing the ticks....after they've attached themselves to my hound. I cant seem to find the dark ticks on my dark blue dog until they are latched on and sucking blood. There has to be a better way to repel them. I've tried three things so far and they aren't working too good. I've tried Happy Jack flea and tick repellent, a pill from my vet, and Liberty 50. I tried to get a cow tag that was recommended, but didn't want to buy a whole bag of them. What's the best tick repellent?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what does the cow tag do?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Keeps ticks off of em but ive used the green one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

OHIOCOONHUNTER2015 wrote:
what does the cow tag do?

I run any of the tags with diazanon as the active ingredient works like a charm keeps off ticks and fleas i usually just cut 2 slits n them and slide them on the collars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

so any cow tag will work or is this just a certain type?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Pretty much any of the insecticide tags but you get what you pay for most of the time the more expensive ones last longer