CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: feeding dogs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I feed a free choice, all the chickens you can eat program... Best looking hounds I could ask for. Tons of protein....

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
All dogs should have there own pen or be chained out.When they are old enough..Pups should be separtated before 12 weeks old.6-8 weeks works best if you have a warm place to put them.The reason is sooner or later most dogs when feeding them. They will get into it over feed..I know of old broke dogs kept together since birth. One day hate each other and fight over feed from then on.....I feed once day the same time each day. On average about 1 pound of food per day to each dog..Less in the summer as long as they look good eatting less...I feed 24-20 Ultra Advantage to all my dogs....My pups have automatic feeders so they eat as much as they want..It also saves on feed because they dont waste any.They also eat less that way...

Good post, and I agree all dogs should be fed separately as soon as they can take a chain. This allows the weight of each dog to be monitored, and it allows the owner to adjust the amount of feed given each dog. As far as "how much" to feed, an owner should watch the weight of each individual animal and adjust the amount given individually (thus making "following instructions" on a bag pointless). Some dogs will simply need more food than others, even if they're the same weight, based on individual differences in activity levels, metabolism, etc. I have had 32-lb dogs that ate as much as 55-lb dogs, because the 32 ran her chain all day long and the big boy just laid around all day. So put the "instructions" down and just look at your dogs, adjusting as the reality of each animal's needs and bodyweight demands. What I disagree about is feeding kibble (but that's a whole other subject).

As far as "when" and "how often" to feed, when talking about a performance dog, feeding it ONCE a day (immediately after its workout) is what every serious sportsman does. A dog will NEVER perform its best with food in its gut. Half the dogs that run hot, gas-out, etc. do so because they are stuffed with food and then asked to run. There is no professional athlete, anywhere (of any species of animal, including human), that performs optimally when full of food. The blood that should be in the muscles is going to the stomach, and the blood that should be going to the stomach is in the muscles, and consequently neither digestion nor performance expectations can possibly be at their best. So always work a dog when it is completely empty.

Why feed once a day? So the dog can actually BE empty :) Dogs' stomachs and digestive systems function differently, and much faster, than a human's. When fed the proper diet (which is raw, not kibble) the food is digested, assimilated, and out of the dog in a few hours. The dog's liver (when the stomach is empty of feed) actually begins to produces glycogen for optimal muscle function, but this phenomenon can't happen unless the dog is completely empty. Unfortunately, those who feed "twice daily" (especially kibble twice daily) will never have a completely empty dog, and consequently their dogs will never perform to the uttermost of their capabilities.

Feeding once a day allows a dog to be completely empty, and so the question of "when" to feed is answered by knowing when you plan to work the animal---because all performance dogs should be fed AFTER their work is done and AFTER they have cooled off. In other words, if you hunt in the morning, then feed the dog after you get back and he cools down and stops panting, as this is when he needs to re-fuel. If you hunt at midnight, then feed the dog when you get back in the wee hours, again after he stops panting. You also do NOT give your dog water immediately after his work, as they simply slop-down too much of it when they're hot. Instead, let the animal cool down naturally, and then give him his meal first. Only when he's done eating do you then give him water. This way he will not drink so much water and bloat prior to his meal. True bloating (gastric torsion) is a direct result of ingesting too much kibbled feed (and water) too fast. Regardless of brand, ALL kibbled feeds are sub-par feed choices when compared to raw anyway, so kibble really doesn't belong in any performance dog's diet. Top level performance dogs get fed raw.

Finally, regarding the advantage of raw, keep in mind that natural meats are 70% water, so dogs that get fed raw have plenty of water in them naturally and don't need much additional water. Their own bodies are likewise about 70% water, so eating a raw diet keeps them in a perpetual state of equilibrium as nature intended. This natural balance is thrown-off when a dog is fed kibble, while feeding raw maintains this balance as it should be. For example, a dog that gets 2-lb of chicken quarters actually gets 22.4 oz of water and only 9.6 oz of solid food. By contrast, a dog fed 2 lb of dry kibble (at 10% moisture) gets fed only 3.2 oz of water and 28.8 oz of solid food. In other words, he gets 3x the amount of solid food a raw-fed dog gets, and nowhere near enough water to process it. For if a dog ate 28.8 oz of solid mass from raw feed, then he would be getting nearly 70 oz of moisture to process it, as again a raw diet is 70% water and 30% solid. So ~30 oz of solid mass should have 70 oz of moisture to process it, but a kibble-fed dog gets only 3.2 oz of moisture to process 28.8 oz of solids. No wonder kibble-fed dogs drink 10x the amount of water raw-fed dogs drink--they are literally forced into a perpetual state of dehydration!

Anyway, that is a side rant, but performance dogs should get fed once a day, after they've cooled down from the work. Their water should be removed when they come back, and then they should get their water back after they eat. On off days they should be fed at the same time they would get their meals if worked and have clean water available as normal. A strict feeding schedule, feeding the same time every day, allows the dog's body metabolism to be synchronized and regulated for optimal performance.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

feeding chickens will not hurt a dog. of course u cant feed cooked ones but dead chickens is fine. it is real common with the foxhounds and field trialers. i have fed it to my foxhounds for years when i am going to a trial and in the winter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I FEED MY DOGS ABOUT 5:30 PM WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK THAT GIVES THEM A FEW HRS TO DIGEST B4 WE GO HUNT WE USUALLY DONT LEAVE TO GO HUNT TILL 10 OR 10:30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

your saing that you feed raw everyday?

Runnin' them hounds til' the sun comes up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I feed each dog about an chicken a day. Sometimes they are frozen and sometimes fresh out of the house.. Great results with a price of nothing is even better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:57 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

do you raise chickens or something?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hogwild6337 wrote:
I feed each dog about an chicken a day. Sometimes they are frozen and sometimes fresh out of the house.. Great results with a price of nothing is even better.

That's what dogs are supposed to eat in nature: raw, whole animals.

It's interesting that some people wonder "why" anyone would feed raw ... as if feeding raw is odd ... when what's really odd is the idea that feeding a carnivore (which is what a dog is) dry, corn-based kibble is somehow going to be "good" for a dog.

The truth is, dogs were never designed to eat dry brown pellets, dogs were designed to eat raw, whole animals ... which is what they should eat, if they are to be fed optimally. This is called a "Species-Appropriate Diet."

Those of us who don't have access to raw, whole animals every day can at least try to approximate a raw diet, by giving meats, bones, entrails, etc. to our dogs. This sure is better for a dog than trying to give it dry brown pellets made of corn and wheat, since dogs were never designed to eat such garbage. Even meat-based dry kibble is a poor substitute for fresh, raw meat.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i feed my dogs once at 6 am and again at 4, you also have to worry about blote if ya run large dogs, i run walkers and a bloodhound and i really have to watch the bloods diet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

a dogs stomach is like a hammock. when you feed them, it like laying down, it puts weight on the stomach and sags it down. now when the dog starts running around or jumping, the stomach swings. when it swings all the way over, it twist both ends and causes a block. usually you will have about a half an hour to get your dog to the vet. if your dog is eating too fast, you can find you 4 or 5 bigs stones and put them in his bowl. he will have to eat around those stones and it will slow him down. as far as chicken bones, you can feed those to your dog before they are cooked. when they are cooked they become brittle and that is where your problem is. the bones are good nutrition for your dog and it is also good for their teeth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I wouldn't feed before hunting. Especially if you feed kibble. If you feed them directly before your dog can come down with Gastric Dilation, or Bloat. This is where the stomach will flip over. This puts the dog in extreme pain and if it's left then the tissue of the stomach will die because of lack of blood circulation.

The only way to fix Bloat is surgery, it costs around $3500. The only prevention is not feeding for an hour before heavy exercise, or you can have a surgery done to staple the stomach so it can't flip. The latter is also very pricey. Chances of getting bloat increase when the dog is only fed once a day, because the weight their stomachs are carrying is greater.

I feed whole raw prey, twice a day, at least an hour before going.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm 
IP:
The causes behind bloat are only partially known, there are a lot of factors that veterinarians are still finding. My veterinarian told me that a potential cause is feeding them right before bed, because they'll lay down and that puts some pressure on their chest (hence pinching the esophagus). She reiterated potential. Another potential cause (which both vets told me there is no scientific data to back this but it has been seen enough in the real world to take note) is post-anesthesia complication. The anesthesia slows their internal workings so they are more prone to it.

My first hound died as a (rare) side-effect of anesthesia. Her stomach flipped slowly over a few hours. We brought her in for an emergency visit in the middle of the night, surgery was completed, but she died on the recuperation table. I think I'm lucky to live in Montana because the emergency visit plus surgery plus incidentals cost a total of $800 and the clinic was apologetic that the cost was so high.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

MTCoonHunter wrote:
The causes behind bloat are only partially known, there are a lot of factors that veterinarians are still finding. My veterinarian told me that a potential cause is feeding them right before bed, because they'll lay down and that puts some pressure on their chest (hence pinching the esophagus). She reiterated potential. Another potential cause (which both vets told me there is no scientific data to back this but it has been seen enough in the real world to take note) is post-anesthesia complication. The anesthesia slows their internal workings so they are more prone to it.

My first hound died as a (rare) side-effect of anesthesia. Her stomach flipped slowly over a few hours. We brought her in for an emergency visit in the middle of the night, surgery was completed, but she died on the recuperation table. I think I'm lucky to live in Montana because the emergency visit plus surgery plus incidentals cost a total of $800 and the clinic was apologetic that the cost was so high.

Wow, you're lucky it's only that much. My friend's dog got bloat from unknown causes (14 y/o dog, no heavy exercise involved) and she was charged way more than $3500. Vets in my area will charge you blind and then some!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chicken is pure added protein. Helps with stamina and endurance in my coyote dogs. I will also feed them beaver on top of their dog feed. We get long cold winters here with deep snow, so I like my foxhounds to have all the energy they can get.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

IF I HAVE A DOG THAT EATS TO FAST, I PUT LARGE (NOT JAGGED ROCKS) IN THERE PAN AND MAKE THEM WORK FOR THEIR FOOD. YOU WILL SEE THAT THIS HELPS. I DO MY HORSES THE SAME WAY. HOPE THIS HELPS :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next