CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tip of tail injury
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:12 pm 
IP:
Our blue tick injured the tip of his tail about a month ago while wagging it so hard in the dog box he beat it on the side and the tip of his tail was injured. It seems like its trying to heal and then he'll wack it on the dog house or fence and it'll open back up again. So its seems like it'll never heal!
He's been to the vet but they just put some spray on it and said that was hard area to heal. His tail is as crooked as a black snake anyways from it being broke when a puppy. Short of having to dock it off (which is an option the vet gave) what else has anyone else done to help heal the tip of the tail when injured :?:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Tail Injuries
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:34 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Well, having had greyhounds, I''m practically an expert on this... ;)
If the wound is still wet use KV WOund powder, cover with gauze bandage and then Vetwrap or similar bandage material. NOT too tight, but tight enough Not to fall off. IF YOU NEED TO TAPE it- you may need to cut it off. It will HURT the dog to pull it off...and it may bite you-use muzzle if nec. Duct tape can be used also, it's a common greyhound thing- They re Injure it Constantly!
Good luck, hope this helps, Heather WIlliam and the BIGCASTLEDAWGS

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:22 pm 
IP:
Thanks for your reply. 8) I'll get to looking for this powder your talking of. I'll call the vet and see if he can get it if I dont find it local.Should I shave the hair up on the tail before attempting to tape it and how do you keep the dog from taking the bandage off? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If they don't have that Brand of wound powder it is-Nitrofurazone Antibacterial for topical application. Horse supply places may carry it too. I wouldn't shave the hair-cause then it'll stick right to skin OUCH! With TopGun I left a piece of the tape till it rotted off... He would NOT let me cut it! BUT- he's a BIG BOY! Scary mouth! Actuall he is a wimp with pain. You may not have a problem. As for not pulling/chewing it off... i suppose not everyone has a bunch of greyhound muzzles in home- so IF you have a problem I would try one of the Bitter apple type products made to spry on bandages. It MAY work.... I hope I answered everything. I have had No rest in two days. Our foster B and T died yesterday and I stayed up too late AND tonight!!!? I lost track of time! Too late for me! Goodluck with the tail! IT WILL HEAL! Even on a greyhound it heals if you can give it padding!
Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:44 pm 
IP:
One thing I have learned to do over the years with dogs who have active tails is to stake them out on a chain. Most the tail injury's come from whacking them in a kennel. Once on a chain they heal and don't keep re injurying as much.