CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: need opinion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:21 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I think i know what it is but i thought i would get some other opinions. Friday night i went to feed the dogs and noticed my 4 mo old pup,that i got a week ago, didnt come out to greet me. She was just sitting in her house looking at me like she was scared. I left her alone and checked her the next morning. In the morning, same thing and she hadnt ate or drank andi noticed she was drooling and there was a small amount of bloody looking stool in the house. I took her out and noticed she was dehydrated also. I immediatly took her to the house and gave her three iv injections to get her fluid up. 1 in the neck, 1 along the spine, and 1 in the rear. I then also gave her a few squirts of pedialyte down the throat and gave her a medication for what i think is the problem. She layed around all day, hardly moving. After supper i did evrything again with the meds, iv, and pedialyte. I stayed up with her until 3 am checking on her every two hours withy no improvement. When i got up at 6 am she was dead. What do you think killed her so quickly?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have no clue.. sorry to hear that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would guess Parvo Virus, but I could be wrong. If it was Parvo you need to bleach everything because it can live dormant outside a living organism and spread to the next pup. It is a big killer in rottweiler puppies, that is how I was introduced to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would bet money parvo. My gramma had a dog get it once when her neighbors dog got it one died one survived, but supposedly even if they survive they can carry it a while. Lots of bleach and lysol my friend, and patience before throwing another pup in her kennel, regardless of how much disinfectant. Sorry to hear about your loss. Also, had a beagle with symptoms identical to parvo, dehydration, bloody stool/vomit, lethargy he just had a lower digestive infection vet said that is not at all contagious. Sorry to hear about your loss!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

and fyi if you get in the future again take to the vet immediatley my vet puts them under 24/7 attention till theyre on the up swing, he has a 95% recovery if you get them when the symptoms first arrive. He only lost 2 dogs all of 2005 saved over 30. he said the last year has been the wrost outbreak of it since he's been a licensed vet. (found that out when i thought my beagle had parvo) worth it to me, my hounds are my friends and companions and would do the same for me given the chance im sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks for the kind words and the opinions. Parvo is what i thought also and thats what i treated her for. I was just shocked at how fast she died. What probably killed her is the fact that there was no diarrea until saturday morning so i didnt notice symptoms in time. By the time i got her on meds, it was too late i guess. I ran alot of IV fluid in her right away but ive been told that once the drooling starts, its most likely too late already. She was a nice running walker pup. I'll be bleaching everything tonight and i wont be putting any puppies in that pen for a long time. Do any of you think i should give the other dogs a booster? I have several older dogs but two are under a year old. 1-11mo. 1-9mo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The way i understood it my vet told me all dogs CAN get it, but the mature dogs are much less likely. Anything less than a year i would say yes and if you or anyone around has a Rott get em on the next train outta town... My friend had a rott house dog at 18 months get, gone within 2 two days his 5 month blue B/T pulled thru. Rotts are supposed to be etremely vulnerable, don't know why tho Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:48 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Rottweilers' immune systems do not fight off the virus as well as other breeds. I don't know why nor has a vet really been able to really explain it to me in the last 13 yrs I have owned rottweilers. Most don't recommend using the 5 way or 7 way injections on pups to prevent parvo. They prefer the parvo vaccine itself for puppy boosters, I guess it does a better job building up their immune system. It has been awhile since I have had a rottweiler puppy in the house, all mine are 5+ yrs old.

All you can do is keep them current on their shots and if you take them to public places make sure they aren't sniffing other dog's feces that someone left behind. I know some people that won't take a pup out in public places under 6 months except to the vet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:00 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think not taking them out is a little bit of an overkill but i agree up to date on shots is a must. If you go into the city there is a park that is all fenced in, designed for dogs. I take all my hounds down there from time to time. They all love to play and run off their chains it seems, even if just one day every 3-4 months. Plus, i feel it keeps socialized so they don't get ill. Took my 3 month old walker pup down last week, Along with my bluetick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:11 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

When our pups got Parvo, our 18 month old female got it also. The vet told us to booser ALL the dogs in our kennel, especially the older ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with you CTown,

I always thought keeping out of public areas was an overkill. I never went to that extreme myself, but I just brought it up to express how contagious and fatal Parvo is. I use to walk my rottweilers everywhere when they were pups. But some breed fanciers are extreme and take no chances with their rottweiler pups. I respect that, to each their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

exactly- to each their own. I consider my hounds as part of the family and I'm proud of them and they be out for the world to admire... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ctown75 ,
I saw that your from Ohio, Honkytonkville. I couldn't place it, so I put it on Rand Mcnally and according to them you are near Sparta, Ohio. It looked like you take the 314 to New Delware road and then to county Rd 15. So, if that is correct, where is there a dogpark? My Grandparents live in Sparta forever and we were always taking either 229 or New Delaware Rd to Sparta. It depended on how scenic of a drive dad wanted to take on a Sunday afternoon. I grew up in Mt Vernon, left in 1986 and haven't been in Sparta for a very long time and definitely not on 314 since I was a kid. I hunt outside of Marengo when I am home on leave, maybe we can schedule a hunt.

James Thurston

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

North end of westerville, a suburb of Columbus. I live right off of I71 so its about 20-25 minutes from where i live. I am about 10 minutes from Sparta :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The "ctown" in my name is for Cardington- In the same league as Highland high school in sparta. I graduated from there and 75 was my football number. I am actually living in marengo now right near mill creek, hence my dogs names. Let me know next time you're planning on being around. I live on st rt 229