CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Skinny dog?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've had an ol bluetick for several years an he's always been really thin. Here's his story, I got him from a fella that didn't want him cause he wouldn't hunt. He was wormy underfed and had toenails 2 inches long. I groomed him up wormed him good (no heart worms) an began feeding him right. In a few weeks I took him out hunting and he did fine but was slow on track nose down barkin every breath. He put on alot of weight and has a good coat of fur.
He is about 70 75 pounds big tall cat footed his ears are about a foot long each. He's not a wide dog at all.
My question is why is he still skinny he eats good poops good gets plenty of excersise, but I can feel his ribs and see the back ones. His hip bones show alittle. He reminds me of a ol cow. He's happy always excited to see ya barks his head off when I come up the drive.
He weighs good but puts no fat on. Is this something I should worry about he's getting older now and don't want him to have problems?
He has been a good hunter he's still slow but who cares I ain't racing and when the other dogs blow up the track they just wait for ol blue to come trotting along an he'll find that's for sure.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Skinny dog?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've got a 3 yr old bluetick that used to be like that but then I started to put somme type of grease in his feed 2 times a week. It could be chicken grease or whatever you want to use and that will help with his coat and weight. Also try lard. It helped with him but he is still a little skinny. Idk what it is been to the vet and they say he's normal weight but it might because he's a freight train when you turn him loose.

going deep for the meat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yea that's mine too, acts like there's no tommorow plowing through briars,brush an everything else. Sometimes with me on the end of his lead, ugh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Feed really good food. Diamond Premium or something like that. Mix a raw egg and a little bacon or sausage grease in with his food every other day or so.

Give him some occasional canned food mixed with his dry food.

He will bulk up.

Keep him wormed every month.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

They get diamond or sport mix. I also feed them all our scraps but Ill try givin all the scraps to him for awhile. They do get eggs but more like once a week. Ill try some more and get back in touch, thank

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We once had a pit bull that would eat tons of food and still be skinny so we started mixing canned dog food with his regular food. We also tried that weigh protein stuff also. It sounds stupid but it works. Just don't give him too uch. But yea I would try what that other guy said first but the grease seems to really help we do it 2 or 3 times a week and it helps with their coat to

going deep for the meat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:03 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I bought two bags of the diamond premium food. And been fryin bacon every meal saving the grease, I think I'm just gonna give him the bacon and all from now on. I'm tired of it lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i had a dog like that have vet check for hook worms.worm with strongit from vet 1 time a day for 2 weeks then 1 time a week.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Instead of cooking bacon just put two tbl spoons of corn oil over his feed every day. if you read up on feeding eggs to a dog you should cook them up or only feed the yoke thise is what works for me.