It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Could this be hereditary..
Look at his front leg ..bowed

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Info on knuckling over in young dogs:

http://newacdgazette.com/2011/04/13/dr- ... oung-dogs/

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks..

The thing gets me I have 2 pups from different litters (same sire),,and both are showing signs of this,,People who have other pups out of the first litter are also having the same problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Is the mothers all owned by the same guy and do you all feed the same stuff, I had a pup I got from a guy that did the same thing. She was really wormy when i got her and I got that straightened out and she got good food here, Pride 30/20 puppy food. About 3 months of age she started showing the same way, vet said it was where she didn't get all the nutrition she needed before i got her and when i finally got her straightened out her body grew faster than bones could keep up, slowed her food way down and she almost completely recovered before she was a year old. It took a lot longer to straighten up then it did to show up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:46 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

historydogsite, everything I have ever read on it was not about genetics in dogs.

Here is a case study on it.

http://vri.cz/docs/vetmed/51-2-71.pdf

The most common reason is what kmj_79 described......nutritional. As you will read in that PDF, the correlation of pups left with mom on the teat and those no longer on the teat out of same litter.

You see alot of the Pit Bull guys have problems with with it because some are trying to beef up and max out their pups so quick and so fast.

Then you have those like in kmj_79's case, where it was lack of.

I am no vet, but from your pic, it looks like knuckling over.

Maybe blackice will add his 2 cents to this thread.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

To much protien in your dog food. How much is the % in your food

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Stop feeding your current brand of puppy food immediately and get the pup on either an adult dog food with the lowest possible protein or a formula for large-breed pups. Hounds are not always very big but they grow the way large breeds do and like others have said, high protein packs on more muscle that the dog's skeleton can handle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here's the pups history

The pup pictured had this happen on 1/02/12 ,,I put him, on cod liver oil and Dollar Store brand adult dog food ( stuff I wouldn't use in a coon feeder) ..I put a homemade splint on him for 4 days,,removed the splint and his leg was straight.

Now ..i've been feeding both pups Adult dog food 24/18( what I feed my adult dogs) and giving them 1 Calcium Vitamin pill I got at the vet ..2 days ago i noticed both pup starting to stand on there toes ,,the first signs of the legs bowing.

pup 1 will be 3 months old Jan 29
pup 2 was 2 months old jan 15

I got both pups at 6 weeks of age,different owners of the dams..but both litters were raised inside a barn and didn't get sunlight till I got them.

Now do I need a large breed puppy food..if not what is a good dog food to feed them were they will get everything they need.

I'm thinking Diamond Naturals Large breed puppy ,,I've had good success before with the Diamond Naturals adult food.

Another pup out of this litter had the same problem..the guy took him to the Vet..the vet said he needed the calcium pills. So I go to my Vet to get the calcium pills and tell her whats happening and she said they don't need the calcium pills .it will only make it worse.

Thanks everyone for there input.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

You need about 15 -18% protiem and you should see a difference

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got back from TSC I bought Diamonds Naturals Large Breed puppy ..I think its 27 ..15 ..I'm going to start them on the low scale just at 2 cups a day. going to take them off the Calcium, Vitamins also..I'll let you know in a week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

historydogsite, I think the protein is too high for a pup knuckling over. You may want to call your VET up and ask him/her about it. High protein diets are adding to problems with pups knuckling over.

I had a 5 month pup diagnosed with hip dysplasia and I had to drop the puppy food and go to a maintence type feed with low protein to slow the growth down.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If I was you i wouldn't use the large breed feed either. Use it up on your other dogs if you have opened it up or let some else have it. Go back to TSC and get retriever bits and bones or chunk style they are like only 18/ 12 or something like that. and for sure don't give them calcium supplements will only make the bones grow stronger and stay that way. What ever you feed them make sure it is under 20 protein and 14 or so fat. Also are your pups on concrete, if they are put them on dirt it has more give and will allow the shock to be absorbed by the ground more than by the pups legs. Healthy dogs dont seem to have a problem with the concrete but dogs with leg issues it seems to aggravate it more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well..I am, not sure what to do..My vet said she thought the large breed puppy would be fine..But then after discussing it ,she thought maybe i should get a Senior diet and put them on that.

Most good brand adult dog food is at least 20% protien ,what they cut down on is the crude fat,i do notice most have Glucosamine / Chondroitin which is good for healthy joints.. The only way to get real low protein is buy really cheap dog food. I am hoping to get something figured out on how to raise pups from this male dog..These were stud fee pups, his first,,and I have my own 2 personal females bred to him now.
Signed
Confused in Central Ky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

check out the tsc stuff i was talking about it will do the job, at least i think it is worth a shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

kmj_79 wrote:
check out the tsc stuff i was talking about it will do the job, at least i think it is worth a shot.

I checked these two out One was 21% the other was 20% protein

Well ,,I ended up buying Diamonds Natural Lite it's for overweight dogs..Its 18% Protein 6% Fat it has Glucosamine / Chondroitin and L-Carnitine in it.. I notice all the large breed puppy foods I looked at ..This L-Carnitine seem to be the ingredient that they were pushing to make it large breed puppy food. So I feel pretty good now .I'm going to try to feed this without splinting the leg and see if it helps. As far as the large breed puppy food I bought,the 2 litters I have on the way, will be started on this at weaning age ,,then we may not have to experience this problem again.

Thanks for everyones help..
I;ll keep you updated on progress