CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: raw neck?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buddies bark collar is rubbing a raw spot on hounds neck what can be done to stop this? Collar has been loosened but doesnt stop hound from barking.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: raw neck?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:51 pm 
IP:
So the bark collar isn't stopping the dog from barking, or is it loosening that doesn't stop the dog? If it works fine before loosening it then you have loosened it too much.

Don't leave the collar on all the time. That is why the package says to not leave the collar on all the time.

I'm assuming your dog is outside 24 hours a day?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My bark collar does the same thing and I don't leave it on all day doesn't look like its sore just rubbed the hair off, well better connection I suppose. Does yours look tender?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

His neck is not tender but as long as it is on he dont bark. But take it off and he goes into steady chopping before you can get 10 feet away. I know he is bred to bark but there is a fine line when it comes to kennel manners.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If it's the strap doing the rubbing you can slide the collar through a sock with a hole cut in the toe. Just leave the contacts uncovered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I put it on him 2 weeks ago because I live in town. I noticed today that his neck was wet under his collar. I took it off and there were holes in his neck under the probes and the sensor. It hasn't bled and it was wet like a scab gets in it when its healing. We gave him a bath and washed it thourghly and put peroxied on it. it doesn't seem to be bothering him but I want to know if I should have him looked at. I did notice that after I put it on him he was constantly scratching at it and trying to get it moved off his neck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had it happened to one of my dogs, it will become two knots where the holes are but you will need to take off the collar after 8 hours of use it sucks but barking during the day is better than at night.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I contacted the vet. He is super cool and isn't one of these designer pet vet's that charge an arm and a leg to look at a hound. He told me to shave the area if he isn't in pain, clean it with peroxide and if I had any amoxocilin around to put one pill worth in his food in the morning. he said to give him about 3 days and if it doesn't look any better to bring him in and he would look at him for nothing. Thats the best part no charge, you don't find that anymore!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I prefer to use soft cotton clothes line rope muzzles. Tie a muzzle loop and slip over muzzle. Adjust it to be approximately one inch from eye and snug but not too tight. Dog needs to drink. Tie the loose ends behind the head so it wont pull off his muzzle. When dog barks he lifts his head. The tied ends create pressure on pressure points at base of dogs head making it uncomfortable to bark. Using a no bark collar on a coondog can make them not want to bark in the woods....speaking from experience. I have un-intentionally created silent trailing dogs doing this. No barks arent for vocalizing hounds! You can leave rope muzzle on without really damaging dog and the only side effect might be a small line across top of muzzle where rope rides. Remove for feeding and periodic breaks. This will oftenbreak bad barking habits with no side effects. If the muzzle is coming off....its not on right. Works to keep dogs quiet in box when hunting other dogs too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm a deputy sheriff and I was called to an alarm to a dog kennel that had 30 dogs in it. I asked the trainer how they kept the dogs from barking all of the time. He told me to mix vinaiger and water in a spray bottle and squirt them with it. He said they don't like the smell of the vinaiger. So I loaded a super soaker with mixture and it works.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had a dog that barked without a collar, put one on her and she didnt make a sound, so I just took the batteries out of it, she never tested it, and it was on her for almost a year without batteries

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire