CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got a 3 1/2 yr old gyp that has always eaten sort of strangely. I used to feed her Retriever brand Hi-Protein for about a year. She would typically only eat 1/3 or 1/2 of the 4 cups I'd give her a day. She's always been lean, but according to the vet healthy. It sometimes bothered me she ate so little, though, even after hunting. Very often, those 4 cups would last her 2-3days until I threw out what was left and gave her fresh.

I then switched to Eukenuba Premium Performance. That she seemed to like better for awhile, eating all of it or at least most every day until the last bag, then it was back to her old ways.

So I switched again to Diamond Extreme Athlete after reading some good reviews and comparisons that said it was better than the Eukenuba. Again, she ate that well for about 1/2 way through the first bag...now the past two weeks has been back to barely touching it day-to-day (unless I pour moist dog food on it).

She is lean, as I said, but healthy looking and acting, with high energy and all that. Do some dogs just not require as much food? I'd like to keep a little more weight on her in the winter, but can't force her to eat. She's always been a picky eater...not even liking treats (except McDonald's hash browns).

My other dogs eat just about anything you put in front of them...I've not experienced this before. Any feedback would be great. The vet still says she's in good shape and all that, but I just want to hear as many opinions as possible.

Thank you.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know how you can force more weight on her if she won't eat much, but she's not starving or she would eat all of her food.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Try a lamb and rice formula it worked wonders on a dog i have that was doing the same thing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:53 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'd just be grateful for an easy keeper and stop switching dog foods. Some dogs are a battle to find a food they can keep down and then they'll eat you out of house and home. Switching dog foods can cause an upset stomach. Some dogs don't start packing on much weight till they're a few years old anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the replies fellas. She is cheaper to feed than the rest, which is a bonus I guess. Just hadn't seen too many that didn't tear down the fence at feed time or gobble up every bit they could find.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have been seeing the same thing from my dog since the day I brought him home. There is not much rhyme or reason to his eating behavior. As a puppy he was very picky. I tried lots of different things but he always just ate when he wanted too. Eventually I quit trying so hard. He has food, if he wants to eat it he will, and if he doesn't he wont. He is a year and a half now and he has been better at finishing his food. His feed calls for about 4 cups of food a day. I give him 5. On cold days he eats it all while I am at work. On the warmer days it is completely random. Some days he eats half, some days it looks like he hasn't touched it. I know that if he is hungry he will eat, so I don't really care if he isn't eating. The problem is he is so damn skinny. You can see his spine. Makes me look like a bad owner, but I can assure you that is not the case. The dog never goes with out food! This kill season has been his first hunting. He has been hunted at least twice a week every week since Oct. and he roams in a half acre all day. He weighs just over 60lbs. But he is a tall dog and is skinny as a rail. He was last at the vet around late Oct. and they didn't say anything about his size. Should I be concerned? Or do you think he just has a high metabolism?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Give the dog B-12 vitamin or shots...it makes them want to eat more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a black and tan that does this. I put an egg in his food every morning. Sometimes he eats the food and sometimes he just licks the egg off. Very healthy. I would say just feed her a little when it is cool and she will be fine. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:02 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Make sure you got them on a good worming regimen. Even take a poop sample to ur vet and check for parasites. Most eating and weight problems come from parasites.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Duke6017, your dog is just at the age where they stop growing tall and start packing on muscle and fat. If he's thin-looking to you but ok to the vet you've done well by him. If you fill them in too fast you end up with all kinds of bone and joint problems. Just be ready, he's going to start getting bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We have two in our kennel that are like that. It's a good "problem" to have. Some dogs know when they need nutrition. Ask yourself, do you want a fat dog or a healthy dog? Sounds healthy to me. Find a quality feed and hang on to it. I've noticed that dogs slightly under weight vs over weight tend to have less medical problems and longer lives. Good luck.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Madison, Ga.
GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' APALACHEE BIG RED TURBO TRAIN
GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' APALACHEE AFTER DARK CHA CHING
'PR' APALACHEE RUMPLE STEEL SKIN (1 YR)
'PR' APALACHEE LATE NIGHT NEMESIS (1 YR)
'PR' APALACHEE EPIC RED STUNNA (4 MO)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

arachyd wrote:
Duke6017, your dog is just at the age where they stop growing tall and start packing on muscle and fat. If he's thin-looking to you but ok to the vet you've done well by him. If you fill them in too fast you end up with all kinds of bone and joint problems. Just be ready, he's going to start getting bigger.

Arachyd, Since my post in Feb. your are correct. He has filled out nicely. Still has that nice athletic look, but not so thin looking across his back. He still eats how he wants, but the weight seems to be sticking to him better.