CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Have you ever tried the BARF diet for your dogs?
Poll ended at Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:38 pm
What's a BARF diet? 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Heard of it, sounds stupid. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Sounds good, but too much trouble. 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Tried it, didn't like it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tried it, liked it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tried it, neither liked it nor disliked it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Heard of it, wondered about it, haven't tried it yet. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: BARF Diet for Hounds?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Has anybody ever tried the BARF diet (Bones And Raw Foods) for their dogs? I keep running across things about it, and it's surprised me that I've never seen it mentioned here.

If you've tried it, what did you think of it?

If you've never heard of it, here's one explanation:
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

TIA.
-Elizabeth

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:28 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I read something like that. It was long and detailed and seemed to make a lot of sense but the woman who wrote it sounded like a complete whacko! It would also be awfully expensive from what I could tell.

Post subject: post subject
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:43 pm 
IP:
There was some vet talking about raw meat. They said that if
a person would feed just a little raw meat every day not even
very much . Maybe just a hand full . You could hunt your hound
more likelee 2 or 3 more years than if you did not feed raw meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

In the thing I read the woman's whole life seemed to be wrapped around feeding her dogs raw vegetables and fresh meat as the only thing they ate (with an occasional, carefully prepared roadkill being highly recommended). Only she didn't call them her dogs-they were children, companions, friends, fellow mammals, you name it. I think she was a PETA person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:00 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think one of the reasons you haven't seen it brought up on here is most coon hunters do not have the time to be a personal chef when it comes to preparing a food diet like that to their dogs. I know I don't.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:46 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

buckshot wrote:
I think one of the reasons you haven't seen it brought up on here is most coon hunters do not have the time to be a personal chef

:lol: Yeah, that's certainly a good point. :) If I had a farm, I think I'd give it a try... it shouldn't be too hard to grind up leftover veggies & toss carcass scraps to your dogs instead of buying dog food. But it does sound like a lot of trouble, and pretty spendy if you buy everything at the grocery store.

-Elizabeth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

good ol black diamond works just fine...i feed it to my hounds and they r healthy.Strong lost of stamia..hell prolly hunt them 3 days ina row and still want more..I love my dogs but i aint gonna sit there and makemy dogs meal like i would for a child

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:46 am 
IP:
I feed a lot of fresh butcher scraps to my hounds along with quality dog food. It keeps the dogs in good shape during heavy use. I don't know about this diet but a little fresh meat and fat does go a long way with my dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:39 pm 
IP:
I've heard of it but I think it would cost allot and I'd be scared I wasnt feeding it the correct amounts of the foods. I hear theres a place where you can order it already prepared and they ship it to you. If you got enough $$ for that let me know, I might need a loan!!!LOL!!!
About as far as I go in that dirrection is spooning a little of my meat drippings on thier hard kibble if I have any availible from skimming off hamburger meat. Some times I pour the exta chicken stock into thier feed when ever I have to boil chicken in certain recipes. But I doubt mine will ever have the BARF luxuray. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

hunterswife wrote:
I hear theres a place where you can order it already prepared and they ship it to you. If you got enough $$ for that let me know, I might need a loan!!!LOL!!!

:lol:

I've seen that website. And it is WAY expensive. I don't spend that much to feed my children. And hey, I love my dogs, but not THAT much!

I have often wondered about it, but yeah, it does seem like a lot of time and $$. Again, if I had a farm, it might be easier & cheaper to give the dogs leftovers after butchering & stuff. I was just wondering if anybody here had tried it. Obviously not. And for some good reasons!

-Elizabeth
(Still feeding Pedigree & table scraps)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:48 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I think its a good idea but way too expensive if your feeding more than 1 dog. I add cod liver oil or wheat germ oil from time to time or if you can get waste frying oil , that works well too. Just dont over do it or they get the squirts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:20 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Be VERY Careful with raw bones. My hound can grind a heavy raw thigh bone into powder in a very short time. He ended up evacuating a good portion of that ground up bone undigested. most hounds can esily shatter most bones. it is not worth it. if you can give them veggies that is great, peas, carrots, green beans, any leafy greens are all good. avoid grapes and anything with grape in it, onions and avocados as they are toxic.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I recently saw a dog that was being fed this way and it was slick. Being fed mostly domestic rabbit and chicken.

If anyone has any firsthand information or a good forum I can ask questions in please email, pm or leave a message here. I have found their sites, but can't find a good forum or someone with a firsthand opinion.

Thank you kindly,

James

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You'll probably find more on a site for people that like to baby their dogs more. More of a pet lover's site than a hunter's site. Nothing wrong with it but from what I've read it is pretty much a juggling act to find the correct amounts of this and that for your dog to have its nutritional needs met. Anyone that claims to have it down to an exact science is mistaken and it can be very expensive and time consuming if you have a kennel full of dogs. There are people on terrificpets.com and nextdaypets.com message boards who have fed a raw diet for years with good success and can give you some advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

arachyd wrote:
You'll probably find more on a site for people that like to baby their dogs more. More of a pet lover's site than a hunter's site. Nothing wrong with it but from what I've read it is pretty much a juggling act to find the correct amounts of this and that for your dog to have its nutritional needs met. Anyone that claims to have it down to an exact science is mistaken and it can be very expensive and time consuming if you have a kennel full of dogs. There are people on terrificpets.com and nextdaypets.com message boards who have fed a raw diet for years with good success and can give you some advice.

i've been feeding raw for a year now and i can honestly say that you have no idea what your talking about. no juggling or science to it. i feed bout 3% of there body weight plus some rice or bread then i adjust from there no different than kibble. it is not as convenient as kibble, but better is not always cheaper. another bonus is less water consumption because of the natural water content in raw meat. their crap is less, it has very little odor if any, and it turns white and crumbles to dust.

my feed bill has dropped in half

any kind of "raw" meat is great for them. i feed chicken necks and rice, sometimes bread for some filler. road killed deer. any uncooked bones. the bone marrow is real good for them. "raw" organ meats from any animal is good too. cheaper than kibble ;D go to www.texasboars.com
and do a search on raw. your dogs and wallet will love you for it

Profile  WWW