CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Puppy food questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I started using Ol Roy high performance from Wal Mart. I started to get IAMs sporting dog but when I compared them everything was pretty close. It is 23 dollars for a 50lb bag here in wv/ky. I am feeding it to my 6mo leopard and to my 5mo Am bulldog. Both are adding good muscle and weight. I know it may sound cheap but it is really good. If you are able to get it Sextons in ky is also a good line of food. It is a small local company that alot of hunters here use. You can get it ditect from the plant 17 for 50. Alot of what you pay for is the name. just compare everything in them and go with what suits you and the dog best.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Here is something else I have been looking into.

http://dog-supplements-muscle-vitamins.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

They say you should feed your dog puppy food till its two years old, many ppl don't do that..i feed pride pro series. Lime green bag. Never had a problem with it..

Briar busting beagles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Wvleopardman your right I was buying purina dog chow but was getting low on money ol roy had everything purina dog chow had and it wasn't costing me an arm and a leg I buy 150 lb of feed a month for my two hounds a mutt an a Staffordshire bull terrier and American bulldog

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bama_bell wrote:
Something the vets and dog food people won't tell you is that large breed puppy food is, intact, NOT good for a puppy. It stunts growth. The beat food hands down is Taste of the Wild. They have 4 different formulas, but all of them are for all ages. I have used the high prairie formula (yellow bag) for the past 5 years, as well as mixing in a raw diet from time to time. I have nothing bad to say about the food. It has no additives or the crud they use as fillers in other foods. the start of a great athlete is good internal health. What you feed does matter, so if you want a top shelf animal, give it the best. Food isn't just to fill you up, its to ensure proper growth, development and nutrition. You get out of an animal what you put in.

i totally agree with you there my friend!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ghostdog wrote:
Wvleopardman your right I was buying purina dog chow but was getting low on money ol roy had everything purina dog chow had and it wasn't costing me an arm and a leg I buy 150 lb of feed a month for my two hounds a mutt an a Staffordshire bull terrier and American bulldog

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

what do you hunt with your bulldog?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello,
There are SOOOOOO many diets out there it's impossible to keep up with! I agree that hound pups should be fed for at least a year to year and a half and that's what I usually recommend. There are some vets who recommend large breed puppy food earlier but I disagree with that. Also is you ask 5 vets the best food you'll probably get 10 different answers. I STRONGLY recommend Royal Canin. They put slot of research into their diets and I mean a lot of research. Finally, Buckshot has an older post that grades the dog foods. It's pretty good.
Good luck and good hunting!
Doc Neal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We recently purchased a 3 month old Redbone and we feed all our B&T's Diamond Natural Extreme Athlete and they do excellent. I have found certain sites that listed it as an all life stages feed, but I contacted Diamond and they say that it is an adult maintenance feed and not recommended for puppies. I know that puppy feed is made to have higher protein, fat, and calories than adult, but EA has the highest I have seen in any feed including other puppy food. Has anybody used EA in puppies??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes I use diamond ea with all my dogs as soon as they are eating dry dog food. Mix a little water in it if they are having any trouble. They seem to grow and mature the same rate as their litter mates that eat puppy food.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

IMO, puppy food is a crock of $hit/money maker for dog food companies.

Feed your pup a regular good quality feed and they will develop just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

as a follow up.....our redbone is now 19 months old & seems to have developed just fine. as far as food goes the wife has ruined him as far as dry food. he got really picky about what he'd eat. brought home some samples of diamonds & he ate it like it was a treat. bought & 50# bag & he ate it for about a week, same thing with several other brands. my M.O. when that happens is to leave the food til the dog got hungry enough to eat it. the wife would have none of that & started feeding him canned alpo. even then he's picky about certain flavors. so now he gets his favorite flavored alpo mixed with rice. he does seem to be be doing fine on it but the is the 1st time i've ever fed a dog canned dog food.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Get black show time or pride dog food if u want to fatin him up and pour just alil used cookin oil on top of it when you feed him and it will make his coat shine Like the sun

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire