CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Spay or Wait..?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The newest member to our family is a female bluetick. She is coming up on the 6 month mark and our vet is trying to figure out if we plan on spaying her or not. We are not hoping to breed but want to make sure she has every opportunity to grow up correctly and healthy.

I have been seeking feedback on whether or not we should spay her now or wait? I have seen on various sites recommendations to spay early to avoid certain cancers but have also read that spaying early can actually increase risks of some other types of cancers as well. In addition, I am concerned that spaying to young will cause her to grow "strangely" - apparently, spaying young cause growth plate problems and can cause the dog to grow up peculiarly.

I understand the concern about pet overpopulation, but I am frustrated that any vet I talk to uses this as their main argument when it has nothing to do with my girl's personal well being.

Anyone have any information or personal experiences with this one?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Spay or Wait..?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have several female dogs over the years. I've kept them spayed and in tact. I've found spaying your dog has no effect on hunt ability. But All the gyps I've spayed under 18 months old have had some sort of troubles usually in their conformation. Trends I've seen in my dogs compared to non spayed littermates are small heads, and a sausage body. I've also noticed more shoulder problems. One of the main things I've seen in most of the hounds I've spayed young are crooked stifles. This is just MY observations, of MY hounds and dogs. I don't have any scientific data to back this up, I'm just speaking from my own experiences.
I'm a big believer in spaying gyps that arent reproducer quality, but I believe you should wait till they have grown up.

Post subject: Re: Spay or Wait..?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is just the sort of feedback I am looking for and I appreciate you taking time to reply. We aren't looking to breed and are absolutely going to spay her, just have a weird feeling doing it when she is still growing. The physical characteristics you mentioned having noticed are in line with some of the things I have read and would like to avoid.

She was the runt of the litter and is already small and "sausagey" and I'd like to see she gets every opportunity to get as big and healthy as possible before we go and cut her off on any important hormones she may need..