CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NEED HELP QUICK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my female had a litter of pups and i built a pen for her and them off the ground because i have parvo really bad i have a kennel and i have stepin stones for a floor cause i could not afford to poor a slab the stones have a little crack between them and dirt is built up between them but my question is how good is clorox goin to kill the parvo cause i did not build my pen big enough and i need to get them out its to messy they are four weeks old and have had one round of the seven in one shots i gave it to them three days ago should i keep them in the pen for a little bit longer or should i take a chance and clorox the stepin stones really good and try to kill it and give the dogs more room or does anyone else have any ideas i could use i really appreciate the advice thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: NEED HELP QUICK
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 am 
IP:
I'm not sure I'm understanding this right.
What I read was:
1. your dogs have parvo
2. they are in a dirty pen

If your dogs have parvo the absolute last thing you want to do is give them vaccinations. You are injecting them with more viruses/bacteria (killed or modified) but their immune systems are shot because they are already fighting a disease so they can't fight and/or develop an immunity to what you are added to their already compromised bodies. You're hurting them much worse by trying to vaccinate them.

If their pen is dirty then of course remove them and put them somewhere clean. Whether or not you can sterilize the pen is a moot issue at this point--you should be concentrating on the pups you have now. After you've attended to the pups then you can worry about the pen. If it is as unsanitary as it sounds, then I'd just tear it apart. That's what I would do.

I'd do whatever I could to get them to a vet ASAP. Since you're posting here I'm assuming that's not something you are going to do (or are able to do), so you can expect some of them to die. Hopefully not all, but parvo has a pretty high kill rate for pups that are only 4 weeks old.