CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Gyp Sick..Any Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a question on one of my gyps. Saturday she didn't come out of her coup at all (highly unusual). She ate okay and had solid stools, but she didn't even get excited for hunting that night (again unusual) so I left her home. She was walking hunched up and very ginger and delicate. Sunday was even worse. I took her to the vet Monday and he said she had a slight fever and felt just a bit gassy but nothing unusual beyond that. He gave her a shot for any infection causing the fever and some pills to give her for the gas feeling.

My question is if this seems normal to you all or if something more is wrong. She wasn't any better today. Any input would be appreciated. The vet said if she isn't better by Thursday to have her come in again. I just want to have some ideas of what I could be up against based on what the vet has already observed. Thanks.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Gyp Sick..Any Ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:05 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It definitely isn't normal behavior. The fact that she's walking gingerly indicates pain and fever generally indicates infection or sometimes inflammation from injury. If she hasn't been hurt I'd suspect some sort of urinary tract infection that has gotten pretty far up in her system. If she's been in heat recently it could even be some sort of STD or infection of her reproductive organs which could be very serious. What did the vet mean by "gas feeling"? Was he able to feel some sort of bloating inside? That could also mean something is infected and swollen inside her. I'm no vet but those are the things that come to mind from what you've said. Is she acting depressed or just like she wants to move freely but can't?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you for the reply. He meant by "gassy feeling" some small swelling. I did some research on my own and started to think of injury instead of sickness. He did squeeze her all over trying to get a reaction to see if something was injured but she didn't flinch. I will say that she tore muscles in her shoulder last year and you could thump on those things all day long and she wouldn't wince...just walked with a bit of a limp but she seems to have a high pain tolerance.

I was afraid of "twisted gut" but she's eating fairly well. She doesn't act overly depressed...just doesn't come out of her coup much and when she does she just comes to me in the yard and stands by me. She's still wagging her tail and what not...just not moving much.

Shes fixed so that takes out the question about a reproductive infection. I'm taking her back in to the vet today. I'm thinking he'll have to do an ultrasound or something to dig a little deeper.

Thanks again for the reply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It appears her problem is a slipped rib. You can feel it against her spine. Her fever was gone but she is probably at her worse yet. He gave me some muscle relaxers to give her in hopes it will atop her spasms and let it begin to heal. He said if those don't work then he can try to reset it. After that options get pretty limited and she'll continue to be in pain, so I'd probably have to put her down.

She's been eating well but was down 2.5 pounds since Momday. He said bad pain can cause them to unload quite a bit, which I'd been noticing.

Hopefully this will turn around.